5 major airlines to charge for 2nd checked bag!

Leejnd4

We'll be flying out to San Diego this weekend and back on May 4. The charge kicks in on Delta on the 3rd.

Oh well, as others have said, it's the way things are going to go. With 5 majors already announcing or charging, I don't see it going back to the old 2 bag limit.

You can view it as nickel & diming just like some complain about the various incidental costs of cruising that used to be included. But, the truth is that weight equals fuel usage. With the cost of fuel rising it's no surprise.

I know that there are some commercial pilots on the Cruise Critic board so maybe they can give some insight in to the real cost of flying. As I understand it planes are only fueled up enough to make their destination plus a safety factor. Carrying less weight in fuel means better fuel economy for the flight. Likewise, carrying more weight in luggage costs more to get the plane to its destination.

I'm really not going to be surprised either when they start charging for each bag. My guess is $10 for the first and $25 for the 2nd will be in place within the next 5 years. But, the cost for the traveller without any check luggage will seem like a real bargain. You pay for what you use.

I would be happy if they would actually check the size of some of the carryons that seem to be getting larger and larger. It's really annoying to go to put your carryon in the overhead only to find a duffle bag twice as large as allowed taking up all the space. (Rant Done:) )

Charlie

Airlines are only trying to give customers what they want. CHEAP tickets. Dirt CHEAP tickets. My son is an airline pilot and likes to reference to a show that comes on CNBC periodically-American Airlines- A Week In The Life. (No-he doesn't work for AA) It demonstrates the true cost of operating a flight-a fully loaded jet making a transatlantic flight-burning over $150,000 in fuel only makes $200 in profit. Is that fair?

If the airlines raise fares significantly-there will be whining. If they cut flights there will be whining. If they quit serving food etc..... I don't understand why people think airline travel is like some kind of entitlement program. I personally would like to see the airlines charge fares that reflect the true cost of operating flights. It's unbelievable how much it cost to operate an aircraft. I remember back when our son was in college and was doing his multi-engine training. We're talking about taking a twin turpoprop up for an hour-easily $300-$400 an hour-depending on the specific type of plane.

For those who are in FF plans check to see if that second bag fee is waived. We're elite status at Continental and we don't have to pay the fee for a second bag.

It's rather humurous about all the people who were not flying the first airline ever again when they started charging. Did they really think none of the others would do the same? I guess for those people there are now 5 airlines they won't be using....for the moment, anyway.:p

Airlines are only trying to give customers what they want. CHEAP tickets. Dirt CHEAP tickets. My son is an airline pilot and likes to reference to a show that comes on CNBC periodically-American Airlines- A Week In The Life. (No-he doesn't work for AA) It demonstrates the true cost of operating a flight-a fully loaded jet making a transatlantic flight-burning over $150,000 in fuel only makes $200 in profit. Is that fair?

No, it isn't. I am in favor of airlines raising air fares to cover the cost of maintenance, FOOD, wider aisles, decent seat sizes in economy, allowance for a second bag without additional charge, etc., true on-time performance.

I don't know anyone who works for any airline and I don't invest in airlines, either. However, I think it is insane that fares have gotten so cheap.

2 years ago, I was right were many of you are now. I did a tour in Scotland that only allowed us 1 bag each for 10 days. Yes, it also included a semi-formal night. I was in a panic 10 days, 1 bag!? HTH was I going to manage that!! I searched the web with ideas and suggestions. One travel board chewed me up and spit me out for even asking if it was possible. I should have come out of my mama knowing how to pack in one bag.

I am a larger plus size women. I can now pack 10 days worth of clothing (including formal), plus all my extras in one 26 inch bag. Yes, it will be 50lbs or under. I can also get all of my major liquids in my little ziplock baggie.

It did take me a while to figure it all out. I had to take the time to figure things out. It doesn't take a handful of shampoo to wash my hair. A little goes a long way. Mixing and matching is great! Having my clothes done on the ship means less clothes to pack. When I wore normal shoes, depending on the cruise, I had only 2 maybe 3 pairs of shoes with me.

I am teaching a group tonight about this very subject. Some haven't flown since the 60s, some haven't flown ever.

Amlee, I've seen soooooooo many pax that could REALLY stand to take your course!!! Our last cruise we did a b2b on Summit, so we were actually cruising for 14 nights plus 1 hotel night. We were the ONLY b2b pax, but when we got off the ship to claim our one piece of luggage each, and walked out behind a couple who had, I kid you not, SEVEN BIG SUITCASES between them for that ONE WEEK CRUISE!!! They were not big people; all I can figure is that maybe they hop from ship to ship with all of that luggage!!!!:confused:

In the UK and most of the World except the US it is not possible to check a 2nd bag without paying excess baggage and this charged per Kilo. allowance before charge is 20-23K Here BA and most of the other Airlines like BMI and also the low cost Airlines charge £5-6 Baggage allowed

I am going on the Millennium to OZ/NZ flying out with Singapore Airlines. The baggage allowance is 20K and wait for this the cost of excess baggage is £29 per Kilo yes £29 per Kilo.

In my case it is even worse as I am doing a stopover in Singapore and the excess to there is £25 per kilo.

I will then need to pay again to for the Singapore to Auckland flights and also on the return journey.

It is complicated by the fact that I will be away from the 17th November until the 13th January over 8 weeks in fact.

This is for 2 stopovers 14 night cruise and then a further 5+ weeks in Perth visiting my brother.

The cabin baggage allowance is only 7K and they may weigh this as well. Added to the cost I will need to try and find yet another suitcase that weighs less that the ones I have currently.

I hope that this news will help everyone to see that $25 does seem a bargain!!

Happy cruising.

Sue

Amlee, I've seen soooooooo many pax that could REALLY stand to take your course!!! Our last cruise we did a b2b on Summit, so we were actually cruising for 14 nights plus 1 hotel night. We were the ONLY b2b pax, but when we got off the ship to claim our one piece of luggage each, and walked out behind a couple who had, I kid you not, SEVEN BIG SUITCASES between them for that ONE WEEK CRUISE!!! They were not big people; all I can figure is that maybe they hop from ship to ship with all of that luggage!!!!:confused:

It's funny what a person packs that they think they need. But in reality, they don't need them at all.

One thing I learned is that most people pack things here and there, in this bag or that bag. They really can't tell just what they over packed with, myself included.

So on one cruise I brought with me a folded bag in my suitcase. On the first day, I opened up that folded bag and set it up in the floor of my closet. Each day I would come across an item that really wasn't a must have. I would put it in that bag. By the end of the cruise I had a bag full of crap! Items I would have swore I needed and that I used.

Of my two suitcases my 24 inch was completely empty and my 26 inch was 5 lbs lighter.

Last week I was on a 4 day business trip. I took the train and the porter grunted and groaned ever time he lifted my one bag. :confused: I hadn't weighted it before I left, but I didn't think it was all that heavy. From the way he was acting it had several bricks in it. I got home and weighted it with my luggage scale. It was a big ole 30lbs!! :rolleyes:

In the UK and most of the World except the US it is not possible to check a 2nd bag without paying excess baggage and this charged per Kilo. allowance before charge is 20-23K Here BA and most of the other Airlines like BMI and also the low cost Airlines charge £5-6 Baggage allowed

I am going on the Millennium to OZ/NZ flying out with Singapore Airlines. The baggage allowance is 20K and wait for this the cost of excess baggage is £29 per Kilo yes £29 per Kilo.

In my case it is even worse as I am doing a stopover in Singapore and the excess to there is £25 per kilo.

I will then need to pay again to for the Singapore to Auckland flights and also on the return journey.

It is complicated by the fact that I will be away from the 17th November until the 13th January over 8 weeks in fact.

This is for 2 stopovers 14 night cruise and then a further 5+ weeks in Perth visiting my brother.

The cabin baggage allowance is only 7K and they may weigh this as well. Added to the cost I will need to try and find yet another suitcase that weighs less that the ones I have currently.

I hope that this news will help everyone to see that $25 does seem a bargain!!

Happy cruising.

Sue

Have you thought about shipping items to your brother's house and then shipping them home?

Usha, if I knew that was you behind us getting off of the Summit I would have turned around and said hi.;) Then again my hands were full at the time.:D

Watch for me in the dining room. I'll be the one in a wetsuit, BCD jacket, mask and fins. (Please try not to step on my fins...it could make me trip.)

:D

People are already discussing it in here. So expect to see more sun-dresses and simple sheaths in the dining room, and fewer tuxes and fancy gowns. :(

What now will I do with my fancy gown??? I have no other place to wear it! (I suppose I could wear it scuba-diving...) :D

I hadn't thought of wearing mine to the dining room (although it is basic black)! Perhaps with the right accesories!

I was going in the complete opposite direction - wondering if my wet suit would be too hot for the flight!

I had been planning on checking my 2 free bags and paying additional for the 3rd bag with scuba gear. Now I just don't know 'cause I also love to dress up.

I just found away for some of you to get away without paying the extra charges. At least on Delta anyways.

Just buy a first class ticket!! Not only can you check 2 bags, but 3 bags! At 70lbs each!!

I received an email from Iberia today saying that for travel to and from North American, steerage (coach) is allowed 2 50lb bags. The 3rd one will cost 150 Euros or about $240. One can get a 30% discount is paid for in advance.

Don't these companies buy futures or long term contracts to prevent this type of panic reactions?

Jeff

Last week I was on a 4 day business trip. I took the train and the porter grunted and groaned ever time he lifted my one bag. :confused: I hadn't weighted it before I left, but I didn't think it was all that heavy. From the way he was acting it had several bricks in it. I got home and weighted it with my luggage scale. It was a big ole 30lbs!! :rolleyes:

Wimpy ol' porter!!!:D

Usha, if I knew that was you behind us getting off of the Summit I would have turned around and said hi.;) Then again my hands were full at the time.:D

...and you were so POKEY, too!!!;)

1255592488_ff27469053.jpg

This may be one step in the cruise industry to eliminate the FORMAL nights. By that, I mean tuxes and really fancy female wear. It just isn't worth it for the few hours you're wearing it.

On formal nights I wear my formal wear from 6:00 or 7:00 depending on my seating until midnight to 2 am depending on how late I'm up to stay out and about on the ship. So it is at least 5 hours, so I find it well worth it to pack my formal wear.

I probably spent more time in my formal wear than my swim suit, but for others who enjoy time by the pool, I'm sure its just the opposite.

On formal nights I wear my formal wear from 6:00 or 7:00 depending on my seating until midnight to 2 am depending on how late I'm up to stay out and about on the ship. So it is at least 5 hours, so I find it well worth it to pack my formal wear.

Yes but...is it worth $50? That's kinda the decision I'm faced with. If I want to go to formal night, I'm going to either have to pay the extra fee, or go buy myself some smaller, lighter dresses. Which I don't really wanna do - I kinda LIKE the dresses I have! :(

Yes but...is it worth $50? That's kinda the decision I'm faced with. If I want to go to formal night, I'm going to either have to pay the extra fee, or go buy myself some smaller, lighter dresses. Which I don't really wanna do - I kinda LIKE the dresses I have! :(

But the question should be is is worth $4000 or $4050, to have wonderful vacation with my family where we get dressed up and attend a nice cocktail party, and have and nice dinner and then go to a nice show, all having the time of our live and enjoying the chance to do something a bit more refined than what we do at home.

Yes it is, that is what we book our cruises to enjoy. We can stay at home and dress casual.

I suspect others will be asking themselves the same question. Overall ancillary charges to the ship on a simple day of flight include transportation/parking fuel supplements on the airlines and the ships, additional second baggage and airport porterage/tips for those who are inclined to use help.

Starting to add up times the two ways coming and going and faster than we are making similar amounts in our jobs!

But the question should be is is worth $4000 or $4050, to have wonderful vacation with my family where we get dressed up and attend a nice cocktail party, and have and nice dinner and then go to a nice show, all having the time of our live and enjoying the chance to do something a bit more refined than what we do at home.

Yes it is, that is what we book our cruises to enjoy. We can stay at home and dress casual.

I don't disagree. And it's always good to look at every decision in perspective, keeping the big picture in mind. But still, when it comes time to write that check for the $50 (or $100 for two people), it may just not seem worth it. I can't escape the fact that it's still a chunk of change to pay just for the pleasure of wearing a dress I already own!

Let's see what happens with cruise lines as a result. Right now there are lines that do not have a formal environment, and in time if these trends continue, perhaps there will be fewer formal requirements while on board X or perhaps none at all.

Everything is changing right now. Just have to wait and see where it all ends up.

Let's see what happens with cruise lines as a result. Right now there are lines that do not have a formal environment, and in time if these trends continue, perhaps there will be fewer formal requirements while on board X or perhaps none at all.

Everything is changing right now. Just have to wait and see where it all ends up.

what we need is disposable formalwear - they havbe onetime use wedding dresses - why not tuxes and dresses

Better living through chemistry

TYVEK Anyone

what we need is disposable formalwear - they havbe onetime use wedding dresses - why not tuxes and dresses

Better living through chemistry

TYVEK Anyone

That's what we need around here - innovative thinkers! :D

I just noticed we'll be on Infinity with you in June.

Will be celebrating our 33rd anniversary and our kids, 30 yr old son and 27 yr old daughter, will be with us. Looking forward to this trip. Have been trying to arrange a trip with them for awhile but between school and jobs it never worked out. So, we're definitely looking forward.:)

PS. We briefly met on the Connie TA last Sept. Jay took me to Paris to celebrate my 60th BD and we sailed back on the Connie.:D

Will be celebrating our 33rd anniversary and our kids, 30 yr old son and 27 yr old daughter, will be with us. Looking forward to this trip. Have been trying to arrange a trip with them for awhile but between school and jobs it never worked out. So, we're definitely looking forward.:)

PS. We briefly met on the Connie TA last Sept. Jay took me to Paris to celebrate my 60th BD and we sailed back on the Connie.:D

Eileen, I think we met last Sept. on the Connie TA also. We'll also be on Infinity 6/6 with family. It'll be nice seeing you again.

Karyn

Archived