5 major airlines to charge for 2nd checked bag!

Leejnd4

I haven't seen a thread about this yet...if there is another one, please let me know and we can drop this one...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/aviation/airlineswinbigonthosewhooverpack#

According to this news report, five major airlines plan to charge $25 to check a second bag! This comes on top of the limits to carry-on bag size, and restriction to carry-on liquids already in existence, meaning that we already have to check more than we used to since we can't carry on most of our toiletries.

This is of particular concern for passengers cruising on lines like Celebrity that still have formal nights. Most formal gowns take up quite a bit of space, not to mention the dress shoes etc. And if you are on a longer itinerary with 3 or more formal nights, when you would want to bring more than one formal gown...yeesh, what are we gals to do???

This is even more of a problem for folks like me who scuba dive. I prefer to bring my own gear, as I am an advanced diver and prefer not to trust my life to rental gear of unknown maintenance history. I have a suitcase specifically for my scuba gear, which I now would have to pay to bring along!

I think this is just horrendous. Airline travel is already such a nightmare, and now to tell us we can only bring one suitcase without having to pay extra?

Is anyone else concerned about this?

More checked baggage = more weight on the plane = higher fuel consumption.

Seems to me the airlines are only making those who are adding weight to the plane (thereby adding to fuel costs) pay for that space.

It actually makes perfect sense.

I see your point its about change. What is $25.00 in the cost of this vacation. At least we can afford one. Should all tickets go up when some only travel with one bag?

I prefer to pay for what I use. I am not a big spa person and would hate to see the treatments free but the cruise price higher to cover the cost.

Yes change can be difficult to deal with but we must.

Preston

The above poster says $25 is no big deal, well it's much more than $25. Let's say you and your spouse each check 2 bags. That is going to give you a total cost of $100 to check your luggage extra. It makes me mad and I'm so sick of the airlines my cruising is slowing down from it and I'm just going to have to do the cruises we can drive to the ports for the most part.

When my wife and I cruise we usually each pack a bag and the third bag usually holds the formal wear and extra shoes and other extras. I think this new ruling by the airlines will have a direct effect on what most people will bring on a cruise. I don't think I'll be wearing my Tuxedo on the plane and it probably will be left home. Remember the 50 lbs weight limit also. I think if you travel 1st class you can bring two bags up to 75 lbs.

Its atrue test of packing!!! My luggage weighs 13lbs empty! This is the first cruise we are flying for and its to

Alaska so layers weigh more than clothes to a warm climate. Yes, I agree they are getting us every which way and half the time people aren't even getting to where they want to be. if they fly me on time no hassels then maybe the 25 dollars each is okay but what about when they lose my luggage??? some thing must be done with the industry it is very unreliable. Wish I could drive to the port but of course that would cost money too.

Thanks to those of you pointing out that it's not just $25 - it's $50 round trip, for each person who brings a 2nd bag. Frankly I don't see how I can pack for a trip that includes formal wear with only one bag. I actually have tried - I purchased a really big suitcase, hoping to fit everything in one, which I did...but it ended up 13 lbs over the weight limit, for which we had to pay...$25!

Also, note that it's $25 domestic - we don't even know what it's going to be for international, which the vast majority of my cruises are. I've got three international trips coming up in the next 18 months, two of which involve scuba, and one of which involves both scuba AND three formal nights. No way will I be able to get all that in one bag.

As for the "more checked bags = more weight" comment - this isn't MORE checked bags. This is what we've been allowed for decades. Now they are suddenly telling us we are allowed LESS.

Thanks to those of you pointing out that it's not just $25 - it's $50 round trip, for each person who brings a 2nd bag. Frankly I don't see how I can pack for a trip that includes formal wear with only one bag. I actually have tried - I purchased a really big suitcase, hoping to fit everything in one, which I did...but it ended up 13 lbs over the weight limit, for which we had to pay...$25!

Also, note that it's $25 domestic - we don't even know what it's going to be for international, which the vast majority of my cruises are. I've got three international trips coming up in the next 18 months, two of which involve scuba, and one of which involves both scuba AND three formal nights. No way will I be able to get all that in one bag.

As for the "more checked bags = more weight" comment - this isn't MORE checked bags. This is what we've been allowed for decades. Now they are suddenly telling us we are allowed LESS.

Exactly, and with them restricting the liquids, there is no way I'm putting all the liquids in with my clothing and there is no way I can get my liquids in with my clothing and all in one bag and be less than 50 pounds. So there is no way around this. In addition to all of this, the airlines stink right now and can't even be on time and have so many hassles. It just isn't fun anymore. I dread going on a vacation anymore that involves flying, which is going to limit the times I cruise now. I went 3 times last year and I'm only going once this year and we're driving. However, we are only in the driving distance of doing Alaska or Pacific NW cruises, and I prefer the warmer cruises. So for now, I'm just going to sit tight.

When my wife and I cruise we usually each pack a bag and the third bag usually holds the formal wear and extra shoes and other extras. I think this new ruling by the airlines will have a direct effect on what most people will bring on a cruise. I don't think I'll be wearing my Tuxedo on the plane and it probably will be left home.

Absolutely. We will be bringing less formal wear, too. Men can rent a tux if they want and they look just fine, but have you seen the rental formalwear for women? Gross!

We know because all of our duds were lost on the way to a cruise and HAL has a program where passengers with lost luggage (at least in suites, but maybe all cabins) get comped formalwear rentals. My husband looked fine in the tux they provided him (they even altered it to fit), but the stuff for women is toooo oogly-ugly. Stretchy tops with glitter sprinkled on them. Icky skirts.

Having had so much luggage lost in the past year, we are now even less likely to bother packing formal wear with these added luggage charges.

We'll be flying out to San Diego this weekend and back on May 4. The charge kicks in on Delta on the 3rd.

Oh well, as others have said, it's the way things are going to go. With 5 majors already announcing or charging, I don't see it going back to the old 2 bag limit.

You can view it as nickel & diming just like some complain about the various incidental costs of cruising that used to be included. But, the truth is that weight equals fuel usage. With the cost of fuel rising it's no surprise.

I know that there are some commercial pilots on the Cruise Critic board so maybe they can give some insight in to the real cost of flying. As I understand it planes are only fueled up enough to make their destination plus a safety factor. Carrying less weight in fuel means better fuel economy for the flight. Likewise, carrying more weight in luggage costs more to get the plane to its destination.

I'm really not going to be surprised either when they start charging for each bag. My guess is $10 for the first and $25 for the 2nd will be in place within the next 5 years. But, the cost for the traveller without any check luggage will seem like a real bargain. You pay for what you use.

I would be happy if they would actually check the size of some of the carryons that seem to be getting larger and larger. It's really annoying to go to put your carryon in the overhead only to find a duffle bag twice as large as allowed taking up all the space. (Rant Done:) )

Charlie

First of all, the liquids thing was done by the TSA and the airlines have no control over that what-so-ever.

Secondly, while it is kinda annoying that they are charging for second bags you must remember that, even with oil at an all time high, plane tickets are still fairly cheap. In fact they are cheaper than they were 10-15+years ago.

Consumers always demand more at cheaper prices (I'm guilty of this too). It's not always easy to accomplish this. So, the airlines are forced to do things like charge extra for second bags, give us smaller seats and take away full meals. Now, the airlines are doing everything they can to reduce the weight of the aircraft as another cost saving measure... less weight = less fuel burn. They are replacing drink carts with lighter ones, getting rid of heavier cookware, dishes, and silverware, using lighter seats etc etc etc all to save a pound here and a pound there. It's literally adding up to savings in the millions every year in fuel costs, and it's all so we can continue to fly relatively cheap. Charging extra for a second bag is just the next step.

I prefer charging for luggage to a fare increase. It gives the passenger some control over his/her expenses, and those with less luggage aren't required to subsidize those with more. In relative terms, air travel is still less expensive today than it was 25 years ago.

I also think we shall soon see all airlines charge for even one checked bag. Spirit Air already does so; it is $10 per bag if you pay for them online, $20 per bag if you pay at the airport.

When an airline charges for extra bags, that means they have to collect that extra money at the ticket counter. Won't that slow things down even more?

It's true that air tickets aren't very expensive. Frankly, I'd rather pay another $25 per long-distance flight upfront than have to wait behind a bunch of others who will be packing more and paying for it at the ticket counter.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not staying home for an extra $100 and I'm not going to use it as an excuse to look like a slob either.;)

Dressing in formal wear or not has absolutely nothing whatever to do with looking like a slob.

We will pay the lousy $100. And we will not let that $100 bill ruin our trip. (Big deal, with all the other $100 bills we go through, what's one more??) We always take 4 large and one carry-on. Nothing will change for us.

I would prefer that airlines charge more for tickets upfront—yes for everyone—than to charge $25 for a second piece of luggage. If all passengers are assessed, then the amount extra will likely be less than $25, since the cost is spread over more passengers, not all of whom will bring an extra bag.

Charging for an extra bag at the check-in counter will delay everyone, and delays are already too long. I would rather pay somewhat more upfront and get onto the plane as fast as possible.

I see your point its about change. What is $25.00 in the cost of this vacation. At least we can afford one. Should all tickets go up when some only travel with one bag?

I prefer to pay for what I use. I am not a big spa person and would hate to see the treatments free but the cruise price higher to cover the cost.

Yes change can be difficult to deal with but we must.

Preston

I know the airlines are starting to do this and the cruiselines have been doing this with value added services, but I wonder at what point it might think its going to far. For example what if the buffet is free but they start charging for the main dining room. They could completely unbundle it and charge you for everything. After all some of us eat less. How about that entertainment. We don't all go to see those shows.

I just think there is some limit where it destroys the freedom and in fact becomes more expensive because they can't amortize the cost.

I would much rather have them charge for the extra bags instead of raising the ticket price for everyone. If you are taking up more space on the plane with more baggage than you should have to pay more than the person only checking 1 bag. Makes perfect sense and I am surprised that they didn't do this earlier. I have never in all of my travels taken more than 1 checked bag and maybe a small carry on. Why should my fare have to supplement those that check multiple bags and thereby cause the plane to use more fuel?:rolleyes:

Did anyone in here suggest that they would use this fee as an excuse to look like a slob?

I'll tell you this, tho...if I have to choose between my scuba gear and my formal gown, my scuba gear wins. It will be a disappointment to me to not get to wear my finery for formal night, but it's definitely not worth $50 just to wear it. I'll make do with a lighter, less formal dress.

I do understand the "pay as you go" concept. I'm just unhappy that it seems that the airlines are giving less and less and less. (And the fares that I'm looking at are going UP, not down.)

One thing I think we need to consider is that this fee will likely impact the cruiselines that still have formal nights, as I'm sure I won't be the only person who would rather not pay $50 just to bring the formal wear. I personally LIKE formal night, so I think this is a bummer.

The USA used to have the competitive advantage over Asia with its airlines' generous 2 pieces of luggage, plus hand luggage, policy.

We used to fly via the USA to UK to get the 2 pieces of luggage entitlement, in lieu of via Asia, with only 1 bag 20 kg.

We used to fill the second bag, plus hand luggage, with purchases from USA (4 bags/hand luggage). USA is much cheaper for shopping than Australia.

It is sad that the USA will now loose this niche market, which must have an effect on the US economy.

It may have been smarter to just raise fares and keep the old luggage policy. Unless they want less luggage, so they can use the space for freight!

Archived