caribbean princess jan 18th 09 cancelled?????????

bwchippie

ARE OUR WEDDING PLANS BLOWN OUT OF THE WATER????

just found out by reading some threads on here that caribbean princess is not sailing on 18th jan 09 (dry dock) but will be back in service for the 25th jan 09.

my problem is that we have a group booking of 10 adults and 2 children travelling from the u.k for 2 weeks starting 18th jan 09 for, and to make matters worse, our wedding booked in the first week also!!!!!!!!!!!

can someone please let me know what is going on coz our travel agent has had no notification if this is true!!!!!!!

This is getting very strange. Last night I went to the Princess site and it still showed availability for the sailings that have been reported to be cancelled for the drydock. I went totally through the booking process and even chose my stateroom number.

It doesn't make any sense if these cruises are cancelled why they are still showing up as available and you can still book them????????????? The entire thing has me totally confused.

confusing yes, but from our perspective, if true this news will be devastating, it was difficult enough to get our party booked on this cruise and to confirm the wedding with princess wedding coordinators, we could be back to square one now if this cruise has been cancelled!!!!!!!!

Hmm, now I am confused too. Last week I looked at those bookings and got the "Pricing is currently not available. Please check back later or call 1-800-PRINCESS" message.

Since we all know and respect Toto, having just read the above post, I just now tried it again, but I still got the same "pricing not available" message for the CB on the 4th, 11th and 18th. If I use the drop-down box and change the date to Jan 25, I get pricing.

Maybe Princess was doing something with their booking engine last night?

To the OP--suggest you ask your TA to speak directly with Princess US on this matter, they should be contacting all passengers ASAP, but I fear you will be needing to make alternate arrangements.

I just checked again on the princess site. I am able to pull up the December 28th sailing, with pricing and availability as I did last night. Even though that cruise is also supposed to be cancelled from the reports I have read. But am getting the same message now about 'pricing not available' for the January sailings. Real Twilight Zone stuff here.

thanks cherylandtk, i have already put in a call to our travel agent who is trying to contact princess for clarification, (no answer as yet) but i am fearing the worst, after months of decision making as to where to get married we only booked this two weeks ago and if this is true it is going to be very frustrating to say the least

.. I am able to pull up the December 28th sailing, with pricing and availability as I did last night. Even though that cruise is also supposed to be cancelled from the reports I have read. ...
Toto--The Dec 28 seven day is not cancelled, but the 14 dayer starting Dec 28 is cancelled because the second week of that 14 day booking is not available. (I never did understand why Princess offers the exact same ship as both a seven day and a fourteen day cruise, but with different voyage numbers--just makes for confusion in my mind)

Chippie--I am so sorry for you, I know that you must have gone to great lengths to arrange for your wedding and travel for so many people. Is there any chance you could switch to one of the other ships going out of San Juan? (I know that the UK bookings usually include the air package, but is your air separate or could you also switch to another port?)

Toto--The Dec 28 seven day is not cancelled, but the 14 dayer starting Dec 28 is cancelled because the second week of that 14 day booking is not available. (I never did understand why Princess offers the exact same ship as both a seven day and a fourteen day cruise, but with different voyage numbers--just makes for confusion in my mind)

That is probably the answer then. I can't remember if I pulled up the 7 day or 14 day cruise. :confused: It was late last night and I had one eye open and the other one............well you know.

Sorry if that confused everyone, including me. :(

I Have Spoken Now To Both My Ta And Princess (southampton U.k. Offices) Both Have Said That The Rumour Is Not True, And That They Have No Knowledge Of A Cancellation On The 18th Jan Cruise. But Where Does That Leave Us, If Indeed The Cruise Has Been Cancelled And The U.k. Offices Are Either Stalling Or Holding Back On Info, What Are The Chances Of Us Being Able To Get Our Plans Altered For Our Preferred Wedding Location And Dates, If They Then Decide To Tell Us At A Later Date.

Can Anyone In The U.s. Confirm The Dry Dock Story Is True Or Give Me Contact Details For Princess Head Office In The U.s.

ARE OUR WEDDING PLANS BLOWN OUT OF THE WATER????

just found out by reading some threads on here that caribbean princess is not sailing on 18th jan 09 (dry dock) but will be back in service for the 25th jan 09.

my problem is that we have a group booking of 10 adults and 2 children travelling from the u.k for 2 weeks starting 18th jan 09 for, and to make matters worse, our wedding booked in the first week also!!!!!!!!!!!

can someone please let me know what is going on coz our travel agent has had no notification if this is true!!!!!!!

I just spoke to my daughter who works for Princess Cruises and she said yes, it is true, the ship is going into drydock. She posted some dates for me but in a nutshell it will not be available from Dec. 28th thru Jan.18th. All the bookings have been cancelled. I am so sorry about your trip and wedding now being in limbo. Maybe you can book another cruise? It's early enough. I know that is not what you want to hear and neither would I! :(

HAVING READ DYANALEE'S POSTING (THANKS DYANALEE AND EVERYONE ELSE) I HAVE PHONED PRINCESS IN THE U.K. AGAIN.

AFTER A LONG HOLD IT APPEARS THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THESE BOOKINGS AND A TEAM IS BEING SET UP TO CONTACT EVERYONE BOOKED ON THESE CRUISE DATES OVER THE COMING DAYS / WEEKS????

HOWEVER THEY CANNOT CONFIRM ANY MORE INFO AT PRESENT.

(WELL WE ALREADY KNOW, THANKS TO EVERYONE ON HERE WHAT IS GOING ON)

I JUST FIND IT REALLY BAD THAT AS A WEDDING PARTY (I AM SURE THERE ARE OTHERS AFFECTED ALSO) THAT WE ARE GOING TO BE AMONGST THE LAST TO BE CONTACTED TO BE OFFERED ALTERNATIVES ETC. WHEN OTHERS ALREADY KNOW ABOUT THE SITUATION AND ARE ALREADY BOOKING UP THE CABINS, SO THAT BY THE TIME THEY GET TO US (PARTY OF 12 IN TOTAL, EACH WITH SPECIFIC BUDGETS AND CABIN CHOICES) I DOUBT VERY MUCH IF THERE IS GOING TO BE AN OPTION OPEN TO US, AND THEREFORE WE WILL HAVE NO OPTION OTHER THAN TO CANCEL AND BEGIN MAKING NEW PLANS.

AS A FIRST TIME CRUISE CUSTOMER WITH PRINCESS, HAVING HAD OUR WEDDING PLANS COMPLETELY THROWN INTO THE AIR, COUPLED WITH THE FACT THAT WE GOT NO INCENTIVES BY WAY OF GROUP DISCOUNT FOR OUR WEDDING PARTY ETC. I CANNOT SEE MYSELF RE-BOOKING WITH THEM.

I HAVE ALREADY LODGED A COMPLAINT WITH THEM BASED ON THE ABOVE AND THE FACT THAT I HAVE ONLY FOUND OUT EARLY ABOUT THE SITUATION THROUGH AN INDEPENDANT WEBSITE AND NOT DIRECT FROM PRINCESS.......:( :mad:

Chippie--You have a legitimate gripe, and I don't mean to discount your feelings in any way--but the faster you are able to move on and make alternate plans the better you will feel in the long run.

I know you don't want to go through all that planning yet again, and this must be a big disapointment, but here are a couple of choices to consider:

-Galaxy out of San Juan, 11 days starting Jan. 19.

-RCCL Serenade OTS Jan 17, followed by Celebrity Summit (B2B) on the 25th. This option still puts you into St. Lucia on the 21st for your planned wedding, although it does require that you transfer ships midweek and start a day earlier.

-Keep the second week of the CB (Jan 25) and take something else the week before (Serenade OTS, Carnival Victory, Celebrity Summit or Adventure OTS) which all leave either the 17th or 18th. Some require a ship-to-ship transfer on the 25th, others require an overnight in San Juan from the 24th to 25th.

You might have a shot at Princess picking up an overnight in San Juan for you if you are prepared with a gentle request that explains you will be keeping the second week of the cruise, but prefer assistance with the hotel rather than the $100 air change compensation usually offered. That assumes you have your own air arrangements in place, however.

Do let us know how things work out for you--

Just Thought I'd Add A Note After Reading The Move-overs Thread.

If Anyone From Princess Is Looking, I Am Waiting For Your Call, Prove Me Wrong And Give Us A Wedding To Remember!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Chippie--I like your optimism, but move-over offers are only made to fully paid clients about a month or less from sailing. :D

And since your cruise is only under deposit at this time(unless the UK rules are different on this, too--and I know many things are different for the UK cruisers) and this cruise is not past final payment date, Princess won't be doing much more than informing clients the cruise is cancelled, monies paid will be refunded and perhaps an offer of $100 to change individual airfare (if you rebook another date on Princess):( .

I Will Be Looking Into Other Options, But The Problem Now Is That I Am In Complete Limbo Until I Hear From Princess.

A Day, Couple Of Days, A Week, Maybe More??????

We Spent Months Narrowing Down The Options B4 Booking With Princess, And Picked It Based On Wedding Packages Available, Dates Available, Itenery, Etc.

Bear In Mind That In The U.k. The Best Deals Are Packaged With The Flight.

Twinning Two Cruises Is Going To Be Even More Of A Nightmare With Independant Flights Hotels Etc, With Such A Large Party

Plus Would Probably Not Be Covered Via Atol Etc.

Basically The Longer We Have To Wait, The Worse It Is Going To Get..

I Am Mad At Princess At The Moment Coz A Lot Of Effort And Planning Went Into This Booking And Quite Frankly When I Get The Call A $100 Obc Wont Cut It!!!

And there is no guarantee you will even be offered the $100 credit. I am so sorry, but just want to prepare you. :( (it would be the most they will offer you if an offer is made)

I would be researching my second choice that you had made when narrowing this down to the final pick. Maybe there is still time to book the second choice, at least put down a deposit on it if you can get a refund in the UK if not needed. Just a thought!

I know that none of our advice is what you want to hear, but CC members are quite honest when it comes to things like this.

I suppose I am trying to let you down gently--and I can tell you are not quite in the mood to receive it ;)--but all those things you mention fall under the category of disappointment and inconvenience. Both of which are specifically mentioned in the cruise contract as being non-reimbursable.

Since it sounds as if your package is a typical UK all-in-one air cruise package, you probably won't even be offered the $100 air change compensation. Sorry, but its likely all they will do is give you back what you have spent. I understand the cancellation policies are different between the US and UK/Australia, but this far in advance the only thing you should count on is a full refund--but nothing extra.

Is there is any way you can initiate the cancellation without having to wait for Princess to give you all your money back? If so, I would start with that.

MANY THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUGGESTIONS, AND PLEASE KEEP YOUR COMMENTS COMING.

WITH REGARD TO SECOND CHOICES, IT WAS P&O VENTURA, BUT WITH THE PEOPLE WE HAD COMING WE WERE WORRIED IT WOULD BE TOO FORMAL, AND INDEED WERE ADVISED TO BOOK PRINCESS FOR THIS REASON. NOW THAT VENTURA HAS BEEN LAUNCHED WITH SO MUCH PUBLICITY HERE IN THE U.K. I DOUBT I WILL GET ANY AVAILABILITY, ALSO P&O ONLY DO WEDDINGS ON BOARD WHICH MY PARTNER IS NOT AT ALL KEEN ON.

I CANNOT PUT ANY DEPOSIT DOWN ON AN ALTERNATIVE AS THEY ARE NON REFUNDABLE. BESIDES WE HAVE ALREADY PAID OUT A TOTAL OF OVER $7000 ON WEDDING PACKAGE (PAID IN FULL) AND CRUISE DEPOSITS FOR OUR PARTY, PLUS CREDIT CARD FEES.

JUST DONT KNOW WHERE TO TURN NEXT...:mad:

This is a reason I would never suggest booking a wedding (with a large party) on a cruise - the chances of things like this happening are just too great. A great alternative would be to get married on the beach in the Mayan Riveria in Mexico. There are lots of great all inclusive resorts that specialize in this. I have seen groups from the UK doing this.

"the wedding experience" have rung late today to pass on the bad news, "i am sorry but your cruise has been cancelled"

nice lady and very apologetic but nothing she can do for the moment, she will rearrange the wedding should we continue with alternative dates.

AS FOR PRINCESS, NOTHING.... NADA.... NOT A DICKY BIRD.....

so until we receive a call from them we can do nothing, if we ring princess all they say is that someone will ring us to let us know what is going to happen.

having calmed down slightly, and accepting that princess are probably in the hands of the dry dock i still cannot fathom how they can keep people waiting around for answers and acting like you would have had to have signed the official secrets act b4 you could be told anything........

I am an TA who uses Princesses polar on line. I tried to look at the inventory for the CP in January and I can tell you that the last sailing of 08 is Dec 28 and then no sailings available to book until Jan 25,09. I am pretty sure that the dry dock has been rescheduled for this time period. Your TA should have been able to get the information for you by now.

We were booked for b2b on the 11th and 18th Jan cruises on CB. Our TA called and told us that this was canceled and the ship is going into dry dock. We have switched to the Emerald Princess in April and have a $100 obc for our trouble.

So sorry to hear of your troubles. Please post and let us know what happens.

Kay

Archived