Fuel Charge Increase

LeGerri

I was looking for the press release but unable to find it on either CCL or Carnival Corp's websites. I wanted to confirm/verify that the increase was not going to be applied to existing bookings. If anyone has a link to the press release, please post so we will have the most accurate information.

Look on any web site of any on line TA. Fuel supplements and changes are all detailed.

Existing bookings are not affected. There are dates available when each line's increase will go into effect.

nevermind...here ya go:

Additional Fuel Supplement

Due to rapidly escalating fuel prices, the following Cruise Lines have implemented a fuel supplement charge that is an additional amount that will be added to your cruise booking.

The fuel supplement is necessitated by significant rises in fuel prices which have dramatically increased the Cruise Lines operating costs.

Implementing this fuel supplement was a difficult decision for the cruise lines and they hope that their guests will understand that this is a necessary step in today’s challenging economic environment

Carnival - Effective for all new bookings on April 21, 2008, the fuel supplement will increase from $5 to $7 per guest, per day (based on double occupancy). In addition, a fuel supplement of $2 per guest per day will apply to third/fourth/fifth guests.

Costa - Effective for all new bookings on April 21, 2008, the fuel supplement will increase from $5 to $7 per guest, per day (based on double occupancy). In addition, a fuel supplement of $2 per guest per day will apply to third/fourth/fifth guests.

Cunard - Effective for all new bookings on April 21, 2008, the fuel supplement will increase from $5 to $7 per guest, per day (based on double occupancy). In addition, a fuel supplement of $2 per guest per day will apply to third/fourth/fifth guests.

Holland - Effective for all new bookings on April 21, 2008, the fuel supplement will increase from $5 to $7 per guest, per day (based on double occupancy). In addition, a fuel supplement of $2 per guest per day will apply to third/fourth/fifth guests.

Princess - Effective for all new bookings on April 21, 2008, the fuel supplement will increase from $5 to $7 per guest, per day (based on double occupancy). In addition, a fuel supplement of $2 per guest per day will apply to third/fourth/fifth guests.

Celebrity - $5 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger not to exceed $70 per person effective for reservations sailing on or after Feb. 1 2008

RCCL- $5 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger not to exceed $70 per person effective for reservations sailing on or after Feb. 1 2008

Azamara - $ 5 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger not to exceed $70 per person effective for reservations sailing on or after Feb. 1 2008

NCL - $7 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger. $3 pp/per day for the 3rd and 4th. Effective for any bookings made on or after December 1st. The new fuel supplement will be $9 per person per day for the first and second guests in a stateroom and $4 per person per day for any additional guests in the same stateroom, based on the guidelines below. The increased fuel supplement applies only to new individual reservations made on or after May 1, 2008.

MSC Cruises -$6 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passenger for new bookings made December 1, 2007 and onwards and will be applicable only on cruise departures after February 1, 2008.

Regent - $7.50 pp/per day for the 1st and 2nd passengers. Any reservation not paid by Dec. 1st will be charged. Any reservations made on or after Dec 1st will be charged

Seabourne - Effective for all new bookings on April 21, 2008, the fuel supplement will increase from $5 to $7 per guest, per day (based on double occupancy). In addition, a fuel supplement of $2 per guest per day will apply to third/fourth/fifth guests.

SilverSea - $10 pp/per day for all passengers. Effective for reservations sailing on or before January 1st. Any reservations booked before November 14th will not be charged.

Majestic America Line and Windstar Cruises - $8.50 pp/per day to new bookings made after Dec. 15, 2007, and to existing bookings that are not paid in full by the same date. For guests who have not paid in full by Dec. 15, 2007, the fuel surcharge will be included on their invoice and is due with final payment.

Oceania - $7 pp/per day for all passengers. Anything not paid in full by December

I was looking for the press release but unable to find it on either CCL or Carnival Corp's websites. I wanted to confirm/verify that the increase was not going to be applied to existing bookings. If anyone has a link to the press release, please post so we will have the most accurate information.

Direct from the Carnival website.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/Static_Templates/fuel_supplement.aspx?wt.mc_id=Hhmpgnewandfunfuel

I don't blame the cruiselines for implementing a fuel surcharge given todays' economy...but I have to wonder what idiots are comign up with these out-of-control sized ships during this time of economical disaster.

Same people who designed The Hummer????

That makes sense 'on paper' for the cruiselines ONLY if people will still sail. Cost of flights to the Caribbean may dissuade people from booking cruises that leave from there. Many people have already stated that they will only be able to cruise if they can now drive to the port of embark, because air, especially for families is just costing way too much.

Unless the lines are planning on filling the ships with native islanders, they may be making a mistake.

I agree with this because my family only drives to port. We live all the way in Wisconsin and drive down in one day (NOLA, Galveston, or any port in FL). We get a hotel room the night before we cruise (which we would do if flying anyway). This is best for us because we don't want to worry about overweight luggage & canceled flights. It also saves us money. In our Mazda 5 we expect to spend $550-$600 (high estimate) on gas. We pack lunches and snacks. Flights for 4 of us cost $1200+ RT and we'd still have to drive 3 hours to Chicago to get that deal!

That makes sense 'on paper' for the cruiselines ONLY if people will still sail. Cost of flights to the Caribbean may dissuade people from booking cruises that leave from there. Many people have already stated that they will only be able to cruise if they can now drive to the port of embark, because air, especially for families is just costing way too much.

Unless the lines are planning on filling the ships with native islanders, they may be making a mistake.

I agree with you but I would imagine that the cruise lines know their booking rates. I assume that if cruises departing from San Juan were not filling, they would stop offering these cruises. Cruise lines are obviously only going to sale from ports and on itineraries that are profitable.

I agree with you but I would imagine that the cruise lines know their booking rates. I assume that if cruises departing from San Juan were not filling, they would stop offering these cruises. Cruise lines are obviously only going to sale from ports and on itineraries that are profitable.

Right now they are filling from San Juan...but what I'm saying is that it's extremely possible that this may change given the current state of affairs. Things (meaning oil prices) are not looking like they are going to stop and change direction any time soon.

And besides, don't the cruises from San Juan fill with a good amount of Puerto Rican people?? That is my point as well...I think cruises that debark from a Caribbean island may have to fill up with locals if people can't afford to fly to the port. And since most Caribbean islands don't seem to be filled with people with loads of cash to spend cruising, I think it may be a problem.

I guess we'll have to see what happens with the cost of flying. Right now, the cost seems to be soaring as well as everything else.

Archived