Any New Home Ports?

Gecko7

I was wondering if anyone has heard of any new potential home ports for CCL? With air fares going up, driving to embarkation is becoming the best bet. I'm wondering if anyone thinks CCL or any other cruise line may home port ships at ports other than the ones now.

Gecko7:confused:

I was wondering if anyone has heard of any new potential home ports for CCL? With air fares going up, driving to embarkation is becoming the best bet. I'm wondering if anyone thinks CCL or any other cruise line may home port ships at ports other than the ones now.

Gecko7:confused:

Someone stated a few months ago that Balitmore was trying to get their act together.

Fred

Baltimore would be awesome!! Its less than an hour away!

Last I read, they wanted Carnival to pay way too much and Carnival said screw you. I think they are working with RCCL to get somethling going as they already burnt a few bridges with Carnival.

Fred

Baltimore has RCCL and NCL this year. They had Carnival one year (2004) when the Miracle was here. I wish they would come back, too. It's only 20 minutes from my house!!!!!!:D

I didn't hear about the high amount they were going to charge Carnival. That's a bummer!

Doesn't talk about what they wanted to charge but you can read more problems they face:

Baltimore Cruises Cut Back

Only One Major Line Plans to Sail From Md. Port in 2005

But a coalition led by AAA Mid-Atlantic that includes the Maryland Tourism Council, the Baltimore Convention and Visitors Bureau and Maryland Comptroller William Donald Schaefer believes the lack of a dedicated cruise terminal and poor conditions at the pier played a key role.

"Passengers better hope it's not raining," said John White, spokesman for AAA Mid-Atlantic. "You're dropped off in a gravel lot and then transported by an unmarked shuttle bus to a warehouse with Porta-Potties outside. It's not the level of service you would expect when you pay several thousand dollars for a cruise."

Last month, the coalition sent a letter to Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. urging that his administration move forward on building a new cruise terminal. "Improving basic customer services must be a state priority if we want passengers and the cruise lines to return," the letter said.

Read more about it here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2004/10/03/AR2005033106750_pf.html

Doesn't talk about what they wanted to charge but you can read more problems they face:

But a coalition led by AAA Mid-Atlantic that includes the Maryland Tourism Council, the Baltimore Convention and Visitors Bureau and Maryland Comptroller William Donald Schaefer believes the lack of a dedicated cruise terminal and poor conditions at the pier played a key role.

"Passengers better hope it's not raining," said John White, spokesman for AAA Mid-Atlantic. "You're dropped off in a gravel lot and then transported by an unmarked shuttle bus to a warehouse with Porta-Potties outside. It's not the level of service you would expect when you pay several thousand dollars for a cruise."

Last month, the coalition sent a letter to Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. urging that his administration move forward on building a new cruise terminal. "Improving basic customer services must be a state priority if we want passengers and the cruise lines to return," the letter said.

Read more about it here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2004/10/03/AR2005033106750_pf.html

That's old news. Didn't they just build a new terminal last year?

http://www.cruisemaryland.com/CruiseTerminalFacts1.pdf

I hope so - & I'll find out in June when we sail from Baltimore to Bermuda.

The new cruise terminal is there and in business (for 2 years now). RCCL went out of there last year and NCL is joining them this year. The other terminal was more like a warehouse -- I don't recall seeing the porta-pottys though. I was just excited to get on the Miracle in Baltimore.

The new cruise terminal is there and in business (for 2 years now). RCCL went out of there last year and NCL is joining them this year. The other terminal was more like a warehouse -- I don't recall seeing the porta-pottys though. I was just excited to get on the Miracle in Baltimore.

Thats good to know that there is a new Cruise Terminal, but I think Carnival has no plans to return back to Baltimore.

Fred

That's old news. Didn't they just build a new terminal last year?

http://www.cruisemaryland.com/CruiseTerminalFacts1.pdf

I hope so - & I'll find out in June when we sail from Baltimore to Bermuda.

You must take a picture and share it with us when you get back! Have a great cruise to Bermuda. I haven't been there, but I keep saying I'm going to go one of these days.

Thats good to know that there is a new Cruise Terminal, but I think Carnival has no plans to return back to Baltimore.

Fred

You're bursting my bubble!!!! Guess I'll just have to keep flying to FL or Amtraking to NYC!

They did have a lot of problems in Baltimore with the overbooking and folks were involuntarily bumped from the Miracle. It also took Customs a Looooonnng time to clear our ship on our return. We didn't get off until almost noon.:eek: That was not good.

Otherwise, I'll keep hoping that someday they will be back!:)

Archived