Layover question

AndyP7

Hi,

I'm looking at an AA flight from Toronto to Tampa flying through DFW with a layover of 1hr 5min. Is this enough time? This is for May so weather shouldn't be an issue and will be flying in the day before so there is some wiggle room in case. I've always flown direct so never had a layover before and not sure how much time is really needed. Any advice is appreciated :)

Thanks!

AA uses three terminals at DFW. If your connection in within the same terminal, it is a reasonable risk (it is still a risk, of course, as your flight to Toronto can always be delayed). If you need to change terminals, it is a risk I would be unwilling to take.

Of course there are many other considerations:

1) Is your flight from DTW the first, middle, last one of the day?

2) Are you flying in a day or three days before the cruise? Are you flying in early just so you don't miss the cruise or because you are looking forward to spending time in the Tampa Bay area (where I am right now, btw).

3) How important is price versus convenience and peace of mind?

4) How attached are you to AA?

Paul

Not really attached to any particular airline :) I found what I thought was a better deal in terms of price ($329 return) through Northwest flying through Minneapolis with a layover of 3 hrs. However, this is a flight for my brother and he thinks that's too long. I'm trying to explain the benefits of extra time, but well, he hasn't read these boards! I'm meeting him in Tampa so also trying to find a flight that gets him there around the same time as me (early afternoon) so that we could see a little bit of Tampa before the cruise the next day. While that would be the ideal I'm more concerned about both of us getting there without delays and ready for our cruise.

p.s what's the weather like in Tampa?

Hi,

I'm looking at an AA flight from Toronto to Tampa flying through DFW with a layover of 1hr 5min. Is this enough time? This is for May so weather shouldn't be an issue and will be flying in the day before so there is some wiggle room in case.

Thanks!

I think you mean Detroit you are connecting in?

DFW = dallas fort worth

DTW = detroit

Not really attached to any particular airline :) I found what I thought was a better deal in terms of price ($329 return) through Northwest flying through Minneapolis with a layover of 3 hrs. However, this is a flight for my brother and he thinks that's too long. I'm trying to explain the benefits of extra time, but well, he hasn't read these boards! I'm meeting him in Tampa so also trying to find a flight that gets him there around the same time as me (early afternoon) so that we could see a little bit of Tampa before the cruise the next day. While that would be the ideal I'm more concerned about both of us getting there without delays and ready for our cruise.

p.s what's the weather like in Tampa?

Tomorrow's high: 85F (29C), sunny, 61% humidity. right now it is 27C, 41% humidity, sunny and a bit windy. Dead center perfect, in other words.

Oh, brother duty. My brother's idea of a perfect connection is: run from arriving plane to departing plane; have the airplane door hit him in the rear as they close it for take-off... actually, I'm sure he would be happy to jump from the jetway to the departing plane (he is getting older, so the jump would need to be <= 3 meters).

hmm, maybe we have the same brother? <grin>

Paul

I think you mean Detroit you are connecting in?

DFW = dallas fort worth

DTW = detroit

Actually DFW! I know it seems crazy to fly southwest to go south but there you have it. Another reason why I think the Minneapolis option makes a little more sense. Plus it costs less $$ and no layover worries! I'm still trying to convince him...but want to book soon as fares are on the rise :( There is an Air Canada flight direct to Tampa but over $1000 dollars! He can do a lot of excursions/DODs with the savings!

Tomorrow's high: 85F (29C), sunny, 61% humidity. right now it is 27C, 41% humidity, sunny and a bit windy. Dead center perfect, in other words.

Oh, brother duty. My brother's idea of a perfect connection is: run from arriving plane to departing plane; have the airplane door hit him in the rear as they close it for take-off... actually, I'm sure he would be happy to jump from the jetway to the departing plane (he is getting older, so the jump would need to be <= 3 meters).

hmm, maybe we have the same brother? <grin>

Paul

Oh your weather does sound perfect! I can't wait to be there next month! We had snow last Friday - snow in Vancouver in April!

I'll keep checking flights and trying to convince him, but he sounds like your brother - happy to run from one plane right to the other - so this may be a losing battle!

Thanks for your persective re: layover timing.

Just a note about DFW in May. Weather problems can be just as bad there in May as many places during the winter due to thunderstorms.

Last May I watched every day for a week leading up to a trip as DFW was shutdown every afternoon due to thunderstorms. Luckily we made it out to San Diego just fine, but coming back we got to circle the airport for an hour because DFW was shutdown due to lightening on the field. By the time we landed we would've missed our connection - if the flight hadn't already been cancelled. We were able to make it home the next day - on the 4th flight of the day.

Just a note about DFW in May. Weather problems can be just as bad there in May as many places during the winter due to thunderstorms.

Never even thought of that - thanks for the tip! Another reason to think about MSP

Last May I watched every day for a week leading up to a trip as DFW was shutdown every afternoon due to thunderstorms. Luckily we made it out to San Diego just fine, but coming back we got to circle the airport for an hour because DFW was shutdown due to lightening on the field. By the time we landed we would've missed our connection - if the flight hadn't already been cancelled. We were able to make it home the next day - on the 4th flight of the day.

Yikes! I guess better coming home than on the way there, but still not a great way to end a vacation...

Must be bad all months of the year there

We were late taking off from Midland one year in September because they had closed DFW

Then when when we did get ready to depart DFW they shut her down again due to thunderstorms, we sat on the plane for 1 hr then they turned the airport around so more waiting!!!

Our flight was 3 hrs late getting into YYZ!

But back to the OP.... the connection in DFW was great ..you just get the train between terminals your there in 3-5 minutes

Assuming that you land on or near the scheduled time, 1 hour is plenty of time in between planes at DFW. You are behind security when you go from terminal to terminal and trams are 5 minutes apart, so plenty of time

I'm not sure where your brother is located but we are south of Toronto and often fly out of Buffalo. It's much smaller and just a super easy airport to use.

The flights are SO much cheaper out of Buffalo compared to Toronto.

Just thought I'd let you know. Some to check out are Jetblue and Southwest along with the big ones.

Good luck

Things can always happen, but my family generally flies on purpose thru DFW. My DH and I love it because we do travel with a child and connections are easy. We have never had to walk more than two gates to hop on their monorail system to get to our connection. They have reasonable food prices and some cute shops to look at and I don't think we have ever had more than an hour between our flights. The airport employees are usually very nice and helpful. It also feels very safe and I don't worry about being hassled by some idiot. I have also noticed that they take very good care of unaccompanied children there, I took notice because my DD will be old enough to travel by herself to visit family out of state soon. Love American Airlines and love that airport. They are also very good if you miss a connection (it happened once to us and we ended up getting to our destination 30 mins earlier than our original flight. lol) Good luck and fly safe.

DFW is an easy airport to get around in. Just hop on the monorail and ur from point A to B in no time. I freaked the first time my return flight was changed I had to go do Dallas instead of Denver when I left from a trip to Vancouver. Now I purposely pick Dallas because of the ease if I have to connect. Worse airport is O'Hare. OMG I avoid it at all costs!

Archived