beware of credit card fraud

cruiseaddick

my credit card company did say i was not liable for this charge and they would investigate. i certainly am not trying to accuse carnival since i do not have any proof. i just felt it necessary to let everyone know so they would beware. my travel agent was going to email carnival since diamonds international is one of there recommended stores. this is the only credit card purchase we made in cozumel.i just hope if someone has my name they cannot obtain other info on me to make charges on other cards

We always use our sign and sail card to lock and open safe- never have had a problem.

But like like poster said, I do prefer the keypad ones on the older ships, like on the Fantasy. That way, both can get in and out of safe without other present.

In other words, if you become a victim, it will cost you nothing.
That is true, however, it still allows the people to RIP AMERICANS OFF! It may cost us nothing, but it certainly is costing the credit card companies something (alot!), and we all pay the price for fraud eventually.

I would take a credit card with me for emergencies, but I would not use it in Cozumel if I didn't have to, if for nothing else than to not let them rip off my credit card company.

• 3 weeks later...
...we only shop at the ship guaranteed stores...

OP said card's only use in Cozumel was at Diamands International -- which IS a ship-guaranteed store, at least on Carnival. Or, anyway, it was earlier this month when we cruised on Holiday.

So, either the fraud didn't occur on Cozumel, or DI isn't 'guaranteed'.

We always use our sign and sail card to lock the safe. That way we are only carrying around one card each, less to loose. And it does distinguish between cards because we have tried to unlock it with the other sign/sail card and it didn't work.

I used it at Paradise Beach, thought I would probably be safe because of Tom, but now that I think more on it, that was pretty stupid thinking on my part. I am off to call my cc now, the electronic system to see what is showing up. UGH!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the warning, Sue, really appreciate it, and thanks also to the OP for the reminder.

Marie

I just gotta say this. The protection offerred by a credit card is far superior than an atm, or god forbid, large amounts of cash. If your credit card is used fraudulently, you will not, I repeat will not, be held responsible for the disputed amount, or the interest on the disputed amount, as long as you dispute the charge within 30 days of receiving your statement. In other words, if you become a victim, it will cost you nothing. If you lose cash, you're screwed. Many ATM cards are equivalent to cash, so you're also screwed if they are stolen. ATM "check" cards with visa or mastercard on them may offer more protection but they are still a link to your checking account, so if they are used fraudulently, it is your money being stolen and not the credit card company's and you may have to wait a long time to get that money back. Bottom line... I would not even consider going to a foreign country without a credit card with an ample balance. Consider this. You get in a bad car accident and miss the ship while in Cozumel. How much is it gonna cost to get yourself sewn up and flown back home? Are you gonna carry that much cash around with you?

I agree...leave the ATM cards at home!!!

Although Credit card fraud is possible, I still think having a credit card is safer than carrying cash..Travelers checks are wonderful, but for me, the plastic is easier....but then again, I've never had anyone steal my credit card #......

I do agree with checking your credit card charges on line as often as possible..it takes only a few minutes...because you don't have to be abroad for this to happen, it can happen right here at home as well. The credit card companies do not hold you responsible...yeah...you are going to have a small hassle, and the VERY creepy feeling of having been robbed :eek: ...but that's about it, you don't lose that money.

OH...and in NO way do I think it was the cabin steward!!!!!

Archived