Beach Question

DeRon

Well, I think mostly because he has bad Mexico memories of not being able to communicate with the driver. He has recognized that everywhere we are going, people will speak english. I think he just likes to have more control. I don't know... it's strange. He wants to be able to get there when he wants and leave when he wants rather than being on a time constraint like with a shore excursion or waiting for a driver to come pick us up at whatever time we told him to. So, I'm just trying to figure out if there will be anything for us to do at each port that is within walking distance.

I understand. Ha! In fact, my wife and I had a very scarry experience in Jamaica with a taxi. Very weird. Once we got in the car, we realized the doors had no handles, and the guy took us to a place we didn't want to go. He refused to take us where we wanted to go. ?? Long story, but very scarry. I had to strongly yell at him and demand that he take us back to the ship.

i always go to to brandons[malibu beach]tried several beaches but always go back to this one.from the beach as the crow flies you can see the ship .but to walk to the beach would be too far.in a taxi it is three dollars they are always shared and id trust the taxi drivers to deliver me to the right beach.however if still insist on walking then i would imagine carlisle beach boatyard area is probably slightly closer.:)

We walked back from Malibu. Took a taxi to Accra first then another taxi to Malibu for a late lunch. We decided to walk back to the ship becuse it didn't seem very far ( afterall we could see our ship from the beach)...BUT it was extremly hot. If you do decide to walk...makesure you have lots of water with you becuse you'll need it.

accra beach-how is the water,sand?Are there lounge chairs to rent?Food,drink?

Thank you for your help,

Nancy

Just got back from AOS. We took the bus to Accra ($3 USD). For 3 chairs and an umbrella, it was about $12.50 (reasonable compared to the other islands) The vender was very honest...he told me $25, so I gave him $25 USD and he said that was too much, so I gave him $15 and he gave me back $5 Barbadian money. He so could have ripped me off. We used one of the minivans for a ride back, just be warned that it doesn't go quite as far as the bus terminal, so a little longer walk.

The beach was a little on the short side, as they were doing some construction on one end. It was clean. Some locals were also at the beach. The water was shallow and clear. There was a constant breeze, so it didn't seem hot. There were some people also there from the cruise ship.

We ate at the Cheffette across the street. The pizza was really good.

We walked to the bus terminal, about 15-20 minutes. The taxi drivers were very aggressive and made me uneasy w/my daughters. It may have been ok, as another couple we spoke with had negogiated a tour w/a driver. I think it was about $50, but don't quote me on that.

Happy sailing!

Just got back from AOS.

The beach was a little on the short side,

as they were doing some construction on one end. ===> A Boardwalk.

There was a constant breeze, so it didn't seem hot. ===> Usual situation at Accra.

We ate at the Cheffette across the street.

Their Pizza was really good. ===> So it's not my imagination,then!

That construction you encountered at the Western end of Accra Beach is a boardwalk

being constructed along the rocky-shoreline bits ..that separate the sandy South Coast bays.

Apologies for the temporary mess, but it should eventually be quite nice and useful

since those rocky shoreline bits were simply 'not navigable' at anytime but low tide!

It'll link everything up so the public can walk the intermittent bays and rocky bits

from Hilton,Needham's Pt. -at the Western extreme-

to....Accra for the moment, but I'm sure there will be a Phase Two

taking the project further East.

When will the construction be complete?
Ever heard the phrase 'Life in de West Indies'? :)

- Who knows?

The project was started by the previous Government

which got changed in the mid-January election - and priorities change!

Logically, I'd think this current phase would finish in about 2 yrs. time?

but I could be wildly wrong. Frankly, I don't know!

I'll ask a few questions..

That construction you encountered at the Western end of Accra Beach is a boardwalk

being constructed along the rocky-shoreline bits ..that separate the sandy South Coast bays.

Apologies for the temporary mess, but it should eventually be quite nice and useful

since those rocky shoreline bits were simply 'not navigable' at anytime but low tide!

It'll link everything up so the public can walk the intermittent bays and rocky bits

from Hilton,Needham's Pt. -at the Western extreme-

to....Accra for the moment, but I'm sure there will be a Phase Two

taking the project further East.

Am really glad that the unusual breeze came through. It made the day so much more pleasant.

As for the chefette...I probably would not have gone there if you had not recommended it on the boards. Great suggestion. Would have done some of your other suggestions, but had left them on my computer. Decided against Crane---thought it may be too windy to lay out. My DDs loved Accra. We really liked the people on Barabados (except for the taxi drivers :o ); they were very patient and helpful with us confused tourists.

Thanks for all your help precruise help.

• 2 weeks later...

We are thinking of doing a beach day while we're in Barbados. DH likes to snorkel ~ can anyone tell me which one of these beaches are better for snorkeling?

I would also like to be sure which ever beach we go to has food/drink options.

Thanks!

We are thinking of doing a beach day while we're in Barbados.

DH likes to snorkel ~ can anyone tell me which one of these beaches are better for snorkeling?

I would also like to be sure which ever beach we go to has food/drink options.

Accra has the food/drink options as you've probably figured out by now

and it has a bit of snorkelling too, but not what you'd think.

Let me explain.

There's a big man-made barrier-"reef" about 100 yds offshore, at the eastern end.

It was put there to break any big surf-action coming into the bay out of the S.East

and it works well in that capacity.

It's been there for about 10-12 years now, maybe a bit more

and so it has reasonable marine life on it,now

soft corals waving in the 'breeze', small lobsters(leave them!), fish and small molluscs.

Water depth to the bottom is about 15 ft. max.

and at the top it not-quite-breaks-the-surface,depending on if it's lo or hi tide.

There are two sides to this 150-yard-long structure..

..it's got a sheltered inner face, probably more to your liking

and an outer seaward edge which may be a bit rougher,depending on that day's wave action.

It's not great snorkelling, but it'll give him something to do for awhile.

There might be better,more 'natural' snorkelling to be had

if one continues in the direction of the point to the S.E.,

but there is essentially no real reef structure unless you get over on the West Coast

in which case head directly for Folkestone(a public Park immediately North of Holetown proper)

where the snorkelling is much better!

Life's a toss-up isn't it?

Never get all the good stuff in one place.

Nevertheless Accra's probably the best bet, all round.

Thanks aplmac. I think Accra sounds fine. DH is not a serious diver or anything and it sounds like he might see something and he'll be happy with that.

I've been trying to decide whether to do a catamaran excursion there or St Thomas. If we choose to do it in Barbados ~ any suggestions one way or the other?

Thanks again

Pam

Thanks aplmac. I think Accra sounds fine.

DH is not a serious diver or anything

and it sounds like he might see something and he'll be happy with that. ===> Accra is hard to beat, all-round.

I've been trying to decide whether to do a catamaran excursion there or St Thomas.

If we choose to do it in Barbados ~ any suggestions one way or the other?

TIAMI coastal cruises (there are two Tiami's,maybe three..not sure) are affordable

but a bit more crowded than the 12-to-a-boat cats who charge $100 kinda. so it's your choice.

Tiami is run by TallShips, the same ppl who do Harbour Master(big cruiser,more comfortable)

and Jolly Roger(-of yore....new one due out in a year?)

- so they're generally good at what they do, even if their product is "mass market"

and not exclusive/Private like how some like it.

Does Accra have a bar right on the beach or will we need to leave the beach itself to get beverages? I understand there is food nearby.

I read the thread, but may have missed, how much might a cab cost from pier to Accra? Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

We will be in Barbados in 3 weeks. We will go to a beach, probably the Hilton which was recommended in here. We would also like to see Bridgetown...is it walkable? What do you recommend we see? Should we take a tour? APLMAC...thanks for all the helpful advice!

Archived