Hurricanes

phbr

What happened yesterday has no bearing on what will happen tomorrow! (It's like roulette--just because Red came up 6 times in a row, doesn't mean Black is due to hit!) You can do all this research, but you will still have the same chance of having a storm affect your cruise (or not!!!)

I'm actually trying to convince would-be cruisers that, historically, cruises are not badly affected by hurricanes. They are of the opinion that every cruise is a potential Poseidon Adventure

I'm actually trying to convince would-be cruisers that, historically, cruises are not badly affected by hurricanes. They are of the opinion that every cruise is a potential Poseidon Adventure

Maybe you should mention the sub-sea quakes we've had in the Gulf recently.Or maybe not if they're that scared.It would certainly be the cruise they talked about to their great grand kids.

Does anyone know where I can obtain statistics on how many Cruises have been materially affected by Caribbean hurricanes over the past few years ?

In Sept. of 2005 we were to leave out of the Port of New Orleans for our very first cruise. Hurricane Katrina comes along and destroys our beautiful port. We get word that we would be leaving out of Galveston. No big deal since we live halfway between both ports so I did not care if we were driving in an easterly direction or westerly direction to get to the cruise ship.

We arrived in Galveston safe and sound and our excitement was almost to much to control, as all you seasoned cruisers know. While at sea we realized that something was wrong because we were sailing at a snail's pace and we were going to be visiting an extra island that was not on our itinerary (Costa Maya). We found out later that while at sea (beautiful, sunny weather) Hurricane Rita came along and closed the Port of Galveston. We spent two extra days at sea and had a wonderful time. Especially after calling my neighbors and finding out that the only thing that happen to my home was a few missing shingles from the roof and a yard full of branches that fell from my pine trees.

Captains of ships will do everything humanly possible to stay out of a hurricane. Even if it means going back to sea and sitting it out.

Archived