Dress Code

Popper76

So here's my question on this--I though the new dress code was to be instated on cruises after May 18th (or some date around there), but it's already posted on their website. Does that mean that the new dress code is effectively already in place? If people on cruises leaving soon read online, they will see the new dress code and may not pack clothes that the old dress code necessitated. Can't really hold that against them, can you?

So here's my question on this--I though the new dress code was to be instated on cruises after May 18th (or some date around there), but it's already posted on their website. Does that mean that the new dress code is effectively already in place? If people on cruises leaving soon read online, they will see the new dress code and may not pack clothes that the old dress code necessitated. Can't really hold that against them, can you?

That's the way I read it. Also some members on here have already said it was implemented on their recent cruise......

It was already in effect on our 3/27 Elation cruise.

We are sailing on Saturday and quite honestly after taking 2 cruises last year I've come to realize I don't really care how anyone else chooses to dress. I don't think anyone has the right to hold anything against another cruiser based on clothing (well as long as they don't come to dinner naked that is :eek: ) To each his own and it sure won't affect my having a good time :)

When I think of jeans I think of nice jeans with a nice top. Not some raggedy baggy fitting jeans. I don't know what the big deal is anyway. The last thing on my mind is the people sitting at the other table and what they are wearing. Wear what you feel comfortable in. IMO:rolleyes:

When I think of jeans I think of nice jeans with a nice top. Not some raggedy baggy fitting jeans. I don't know what the big deal is anyway. The last thing on my mind is the people sitting at the other table and what they are wearing. Wear what you feel comfortable in. IMO:rolleyes:

wear what you are comfortable in, of course, but this was more meant to see what Carnival finds appropriate. Some, myself excluded, may be most comfortable in a Speedo, but Carnival may disagree with that choice on a "Cruise Elegant" night.

I don't think Carnival should relax the dress code, although they already have. I never understood why people go on cruises, knowing very well that there are formal evenings and then refuse to dress and go to the dining room anyway in a tshirt.

On our last cruise there was a man who wore nothing but denim overalls the entire cruise. I kid you not...on formal night he wore DARK denim overalls. I guess he considered them his formal wear. :rolleyes: :p

If you don't want to participate in formal nights, don't. But don't try to change the rules for the rest of us who enjoy it. I'll still be wearing my formal gowns on our next cruise.

On our Fantasy cruise this week there were MANY people eating dinner in the dining room in shorts and flip flops. On formal night we saw lots of polo shirts, short sleeve button up shirts on men, and sundresses or capris on women. This was by far the most casually dressed dinner crowd I've ever noticed. And for the poster who told me last month that I was "lying" about over half the people at dinner wearing jeans - well, once again, over half were in jeans.

Even if it wasn't already in place and they didn't pack appropriately they would be fine. The maitre' d rarely refuses anybody entrance to the dining room.:)

Bill

AND HERE WE GO.....let me get my popcorn and see how far this one goes. it's carnival why not just make clothing optional.

Rumor has it that those cruises exist, you just have to look for them. :p

I have a family cruise coming up this Saturday, most relatives are new to cruising, so when asked what to wear, I gave them Carnival's policy (at the time) ....some of my relatives really were hoping for dress shorts and shirts but I said "oh no you can't wear that, so they bought and packed as per the "rules" now the "rules" change and I will feel like a fool when they are sitting next to other wearing "dressy shorts" etc. uggggggggg I give up! :rolleyes:

Do they really enforce the formal night attire? Can a woman wear slacks and a nice blouse on formal night?

Yes, from Carnival's website:

Casual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. We suggest you wear rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys© shoes, is prohibited on board our ships. For dining you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Seaview Bistro on the Lido Deck is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

For the non-formal nights I've worn nice jeans almost every evening of the 11 cruises I've been on (going back to '91), a shirt with collar, and shoes. Never looked out of place and never felt out of place.

The major change I see in the dress code is for the formal nights. Now appears that slacks and a dress shirt are allowed. I used to like to wear a tux when we traveled in a larger group - still may take it if it fits.

Everyone have fun - just worry about the pool dress code, you do need a bathing suit. :-]

Archived