Alaskan wardrobe

kmavb

What type of wardrobe is needed for a May Curise to Alaska???

:confused: This will be our first cruise...and we want to be prepared. We come from a very mild winter climate. And don't have any super-duper warm jackets. So I'm hoping that we wont need them. But does anyone have any suggestions.

Also...does the cruise ship offer complimentary umbrellas for passengers when going off the ship at the ports??? Or should we bring our own.

umbrellas are a pain, most of the sidewalks are narrow...had to duck to avoid getting hit. you will see a few with them, i had a one of those small ones in my bag, with but the wind...it won't have helped.

the best rain protection is the rain poncho, cheap and use to put over your other clothes.

There have been many threads about this topic but they all boil down to this - dress in layers. We have been to Alaska twice in May. One time it was cold and the other time it was mild. Usually a polar fleece and a wind/rain proof jacket will be enough. If not, you can add a sweatshirt under the jacket. It will be cold on deck so be prepared for that. A warm hat, gloves, and socks will be appreciated when the ship is moving and you are on deck or when crusing near the glaciers. Weather in May can be very changable, as it can be anytime in Alaska, but it probably won't be warmer than the low 60's. On our first Alaska cruise I took a lightweight down jacket and was glad that I had it but I could have gotten by without it by wearing an extra layer under my polar fleece. The thing that I didn't have that I really needed was something rain proof. For our second cruise we bought light Gore-tex jackets and loved them. They were perfect for Alaska weather. They were a good investment because we use them all the time here when it rains. Much better than a plastic or vinyl poncho that doesn't breathe.

Oh, and unbrellas just don't work in Alaska or on the ship.

We have traveled three times to Alaska in May. On our first cruise we took a down jackets and really didn't need them. So our second and third cruise we took medium weight hooded jackets with fleece or sweatshirts underneath. Our ship (Summit) supplied us with an umbrella and we never needed one. Apparently May is one of the driest months. We wore jeans and cords on our shore excursions and we were plenty warm. I did bring silk underwear and only wore it at Hubbard Glacier. Southeastern Alaska has a surprisingly mild climate. We live in the desert of Southern California and can honestly we never felt cold in Alaska...we were even able to have two or three meals served on our balcony. Have fun...you will love Alaska!

Layer, layer, layer. Longsleeved tees, maybe a fleece shirt or two or sweatshirts work fine. And bring a hat or headband and gloves for the glacier day. Waterproof shoes or boots are a must as well. Don't bother with an umbrella - too much to carry. A cheapo rain poncho from the $ store will do the trick if you don't want to invest in a waterproof jacket. When in May and on what ship?

You can get a decent waterproof (much better than water-resistant) jacket made by Stearns in sporting goods stores and Wal-Marts. They run around $30, are breathable, light-weight, and very easy to pack. Umbrellas aren't very practical and you will always have one hand tied up. Layers are definitely the way to go because you can put on or take off what ever you need. Bring gloves and hats, especially for glacier days. And if you don't have waterproof shoes, look into a waterproofing spray (sporting goods stores usually care a few).

Thanks for the advice...GOTTA FIND SOME FLEECY's....:D !!!

L.L. Bean's website has some nice fitness fleece shirts in lots of styles. Lightweight fleece, not too heavy or thick. I ordered some of the $19.99 Quarter-Zip Pullovers for Xmas gifts for myself and friends last Dec. and a heavier button-up fleece jacket for my Mom.

If my brain hasn't been fried by reading all the other posts, I think I remember someone saying it's wetter in September. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Otherwise would the temps be the same as May?

The weather in Alaska on the coast is quite unpredictable and varies from year to year, however generally that is correct. So pack for the worst and hope that you will be pleasantly surprised.

If my brain hasn't been fried by reading all the other posts, I think I remember someone saying it's wetter in September. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Otherwise would the temps be the same as May?

We had about half rain and our trip was mid-September. It poured all day in Ketchikan (which is normal for there).

Here is a post by Budget Queen regarding cruising in September:

"When in Sept. it is VERY different at the very begining vs the last cruise. Overall past the first week has the worse potential for weather of the entire season. Layers and good rain gear are a must."

Hi:)

I sailed to Alaska in May 2006 and I guess we got

really lucky:D. The temps were in the 50s and 60s

and it only rained twice all week!

I am going again but this time in September. I have heard

that is the rainiest month?

Oh well, I will bring a ponch with me as I did that last

time too;)

I agree with the layering theory and I wish you a wonderful

cruise:)

Archived