Those Who Like Formal: Will You Still?

Leo Jay

Why is it I read posts like this, but I have cruised many times and never even encountered anyone wearing shorts in the dining room on formal night? Hmmmmm who ya gonna believe:rolleyes: I think I will stick with reality;)

I guess one could say that you've been 'lucky'?

Unfortunately, we've seen it many times.., so I guess everybody's 'reality' is different :o

LOL! Just don't see the ol polyester coming around again anytime soon:D

Dear God, I hope not!!!!!! :p

back in the early 80's there was a computer program called LEIZURE SUIT LARRY" needless to say i can't tell more about it. i would be booted

WE had that!! LOL!! That was fun (at the time)

One of the definitions for formal--"cold and stiff".

Pretty much says it all.;)

Hmmm....these are the definitions I found...

1. being in accordance with the usual requirements, customs, etc.; conventional: to pay one's formal respects.

2. marked by form or ceremony: a formal occasion.

3. designed for wear or use at occasions or events marked by elaborate ceremony or prescribed social observance: The formal attire included tuxedos and full-length gowns.

4. requiring a type of dress suitable for such occasions: a formal dance.

Yep. Pretty much says it all

Hmmm....these are the definitions I found...

1. being in accordance with the usual requirements, customs, etc.; conventional: to pay one's formal respects.

2. marked by form or ceremony: a formal occasion.

3. designed for wear or use at occasions or events marked by elaborate ceremony or prescribed social observance: The formal attire included tuxedos and full-length gowns.

4. requiring a type of dress suitable for such occasions: a formal dance.

Yep. Pretty much says it all

You missed one.

I guess one could say that you've been 'lucky'?

Unfortunately, we've seen it many times.., so I guess everybody's 'reality' is different :o

I can honestly say luck has nothing to do with it. I am probably the most unluckiest person in the world lol!:cool:

Probably more like I don't notice the small stuff;) I can honestly say I am not a nitpicker or busy body:D I have learned that I am the only one in control of my feelings. And I am happy to say life is wonderful:) That is reality my friend........

I can honestly say luck has nothing to do with it. I am probably the most unluckiest person in the world lol!:cool:

Probably more like I don't notice the small stuff;) I can honestly say I am not a nitpicker or busy body:D I have learned that I am the only one in control of my feelings. And I am happy to say life is wonderful:) That is reality my friend........

Okay??? :confused: So I guess I misunderstood your previous point about short pants in the dining room on formal night.

Why is it I read posts like this, but I have cruised many times and never even encountered anyone wearing shorts in the dining room on formal night? Hmmmmm who ya gonna believe I think I will stick with reality

I thought you were implying that since you hadn't ever seen it (your 'reality'), then therefore it must not happen, or was a non-issue; despite other folks saying or implying that it does happen. My point was that just because you had never witnessed it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen, or that other people (such as ourselves) haven't seen it..

Now to spin that original statement to say that 'you don't notice the small things', or that you're not picky or a busy body is an entirely different thing..

My bad.. :cool:

Okay??? So I guess I misunderstood your previous point about short pants in the dining room on formal night.

I thought you were implying that since you hadn't ever seen it (your 'reality'), then therefore it must not happen, or was a non-issue; despite other folks saying or implying that it does happen. My point was that just because you had never witnessed it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen, or that other people (such as ourselves) haven't seen it..

Now to spin that original statement to say that 'you don't notice the small things', or that you're not picky or a busy body is an entirely different thing..

My bad..

You are right I cannot say for fact that it does not happen. Heck I know in reality people loose their luggage too lol! But what I can say it is not to the extreme that some make it out to be....I'm not clueless lol! I would think if there was as much as is reported on here I would notice.

But I can honestly say I have never seen shorts in the dining room on formal night.....

Now could it be because I don't look for it:confused:Because I don't pay attention to others:confused: Evidently so.......because according to alot on here that say otherwise:rolleyes: So to me and it is evident (on another thread someone actually took pictures of people from the waist down:rolleyes: to proove their point)that people are actually looking for this....kinda sick if you ask me:cool:

Now I have seen people wear their robes on formal night. But they were college kids and were loud and vocal which drew our attention to them.

People just got a kick out of it. Chalked it up to kids having a fun time on their cruise. Harmless and no it did not offend me. And no I did not feel disrespected:rolleyes:

In reality this is only a problem on cc.

The original title of this thread is 'those who like formal, will you still...'

It's one thing to see posts which state they aren't going to continue, but an another thing entirely when someone looking to get attention posts just to start a debate.

Those of you not wanting to not participate in 'cruise elegant' (yet want to draw attention to yourselves on a message board) go join the debate threads about the dress codes. (Heaven knows there are plenty.)

why would anyone not go formal if they like it? Carnival is not banning it..they just used a different term.

Elegant sounds classy and less "stuffy" than formal.

It's more a marketing change than a rules change.:cool:

I don't think anyone has brought up how important the itineray is. I think a more dressed down look is perfectly reasonable on a Caribbean cruise but I would feel silly on a European cruise in anything but formal/cocktail, especially next to all the Europeans.

But I can honestly say I have never seen shorts in the dining room on formal night.....

Now could it be because I don't look for it:confused:Because I don't pay attention to others:confused: Evidently so.......because according to alot on here that say otherwise:rolleyes: So to me and it is evident (on another thread someone actually took pictures of people from the waist down:rolleyes: to proove their point)that people are actually looking for this....kinda sick if you ask me:cool:

Now I have seen people wear their robes on formal night. But they were college kids and were loud and vocal which drew our attention to them.

People just got a kick out of it. Chalked it up to kids having a fun time on their cruise. Harmless and no it did not offend me. And no I did not feel disrespected:rolleyes:

In reality this is only a problem on cc.

My experience is the same as yours. I haven't seen shorts on formal night OR on casual night to be honest....but I'm not very observant to be honest. Like you said, I notice if someone makes enough noise.

We had some college aged kids on the last cruise who thought it would be cool to dress in a suit jacket/tie with pajama bottoms. I didn't even notice this, my DH did. We just chalked it up to kids being a few brain cells short with all the alcohol consumption.

What I DID notice was that in the lounge later that evening, the guys that were nicely dressed made some moves on some girls (we sat there like score keepers guessing which guy would score a conversation with which pretty girl) and it didn't take a phych major to know that the better dressed guys scored when the pj-ed bottom guys got the look that said, "Blow off butthead."

• 2 weeks later...
The original title of this thread is 'those who like formal, will you still...'

It's one thing to see posts which state they aren't going to continue, but an another thing entirely when someone looking to get attention posts just to start a debate.

Those of you not wanting to not participate in 'cruise elegant' (yet want to draw attention to yourselves on a message board) go join the debate threads about the dress codes. (Heaven knows there are plenty.)

Exactly. Thank you. Dress code gripers -- one way or the other -- please start your own threads.

:rolleyes:

I will continue to dress the way I always have. By the strictest definition of the word, I was never dressed "formally" anyway. I prefer shorter/cocktail length dresses. I don't get a chance to dress up very often, so I enjoy doing it every now and then. It's also a great photo op!

• 3 weeks later...

I will be in a tux.............on the oldest and smallest "rusty bucket of bolts" in the fleet that is full of nothing but "overall wearing rednecks" :rolleyes::cool:

this is my first cruise and im going all out.............I dont get a chance to dress formal very often. Im looking forward to "formal" night even though its not really "formal" night anymore...............my whole group will be dressed to the hilt.

Archived