Best Time for Mediterranean Cruise?

I am contemplating a Mediterranean Cruise but don't want to go when it is intensely hot. How late in the fall could you go when the temperatures would be pleasant and a balcony would still be useful? Would appreciate any suggestions you could give me. (Barcelona to Venice cruise)

Last May was fabulous, BUT we did hit a heat wave the days we visited Rome (85 degrees that day) and Naples (Pompei). Then at the end of our cruise when we got back to Venice I needed a jeans jacket for the day - so weather can vary WIDELY!

We had gorgeous weather right after Thanksgiving.

Very cool in the evening. Beautiful during the day (sweater sometimes)

It can rain anytime. I packed throw-away rain ponchos and a small umbrella from the 1.00 store. Didnt use them once :D

We have holidayed extensively in the Mediterranean, usually from April to the end of September. April and May can be very changeable with sometimes heavy rain but by the end of May things are warming up. June is a lovely month and the days are warm but you may need a light jacket / wrap in the evening. July and August are VERY hot in the Med and all the ports of call will be heaving with tourists especially in August when children are on the school summer break. Weather in September is very much like June although the beginning of the month can still be quite hot. By October, the weather is changing and while you may still get lovely days there is a definite feel of Autumn and you may get some rain and windy days. Have a lovely time whichever month you choose. :)

We cruised early April and the weather was great. Shirtsleeve weather for our pre-cruise days in Rome. The day we got on the ship was windy and cold but the next day in Portofino was beautiful. A long sleeve blouse was comfortable. The day we were to anchor at Amalfi had swells too high for the tenders so the Captain chose to go on to Sorrento. That day was rainy and windy. Some went to port for dinner and a little sight seeing but said it was unpleasant. We waited until the next day and it was beautiful. The drive to Pompeii and the Bay of Naples was spectacular. Our days in the Greek Isles and Scicily were wonderful. It was warmer in Greece, but still needed long pants and sometimes a long sleeve. I can't imagine doing it in summer. I know it would be really sweltering.

Like Nylsor we've travelled all over Europe right through the year. My favourite time weather wise is mid October. It's still very warm and fairly settled but the hordes of tourists have largely gone. It's also nice if you like to swim in the sea as the water has had the whole summer to pass the 'big toe' test!

Late May is also nice but can be a little changeable and the sea temperature can be a little nippy.

Outside of these times you can stil get excellent weather but will need a jacket/jumper/cardigan in the evening.

We cruised from Rome last November 21 to Greece, Turkey and Egypt, and back to Rome December 3. We used our balcony every single day. The weather was surprisingly mild except for one night going through the Dardanelles. We had light rain in Rome....off and on for a few hours. I took a lightweight suede coat and my husband took just a fleece jacket, and we were fine throughout. We wouldn't hesitate going in late fall again.

Archived