Taking a steam while on RCI...

Wondering how many others out there exploit the wonderful steam & sauna rooms on the newer, larger RCI ships (?).

I've read mention of guys escaping the crowded cabins during dinner-prep, to provide the spouses (& themselves) more room while getting ready for dinner. Rough beard here, so my shaving is significantly more comfortable after a good steam .

On the Voyager-class & larger vessels, I'm amazed how relatively few guys use the steam & sauna facilities.

Also, curious... is RCI doing a good job of maintaining their steam & sauna facilities? I sailed on the Majesty back in November and it was in disrepair the entire weekend I was on and for over a month before I got on (I had asked folks who sailed before me). Kinda frustrating, since enjoying a good steam bath is a big-time relaxing component I like to appreciate while on a cruise vacation.

Interested to hear about the relaxing steam & sauna habits of others or your impressions of such facilities on the RCI ships you may have sailed.

Cheers!

Gigglewolf O' The Seas

:)

Hey, Gigglewolf! Good to hear from you again!

YES...YES...YES....I use the steam room each and every day on every cruise. I do all of the above mentioned and more!

Most recently, I used the steam and sauna on Adventure. Before that, I was on Radiance. They were both in good maintenance and repair. Earlier, on Grandeur, it could've had a spruce up. Before that, on Serenade, it was in great shape. My first cruise was on Sovereign, and I didn't even check it out!

I've met lots of interesting guys in the steam room and suana on my cruises.

:D

Good to have you post again.

I'm headed to the Serenade in about 45 days or so, so glad to hear she's doing well. She just had her drydock in March and I've heard great reviews on her overall appearance since then (although, I know most of the work involved the installation of the auxiliary diesel engines).

And, believe it or not, I booked the Adventure for December 2009, lol. I couldn't pass-up the $690 cruise-only fair for a E2 balcony cabin (including the C&A savings) the week before Christmas!

Sailing the Ruby Princess this December (2008) and I hear her spa facilities are VERY nice and well designed. Quite large steam & sauna facilities on her, if she's anything like her "sister" (Emerald Princess).

I've generally met real nice folks while taking a steam or sauna. I can spend hours jumping in & out and cooling-off in the showers. Feel sooo mellow afterward. ;)

Have fun on the Serenade & Adventure, lmurf?

Gigglewolf,

Yes! I made some buddies from Florida, Indiana, and especially Minnesota and Wisconsin. Those northern guys were anxious to strip, grab a towel, and hit the steam/sauna. Must be a cultural thing. But yes, mellow is the word to describe the activity. :D

I definitely take advantage of the steam and sauna rooms. Also, the spas have jacuzzi's that have never been crowded when I have been there. So much more relaxing then trying to cram into a crowded jacuzzi on the lido deck.

In all the ships (RCI) I've cruised, the jacuzzi is co-ed, but the steam and sauna are male or female only and located inside the men's and women's locker room wet areas. Most guys go either in the buff or with just a towel. Either way, they're very RELAXING.

In all the ships (RCI) I've cruised, the jacuzzi is co-ed, but the steam and sauna are male or female only and located inside the men's and women's locker room wet areas. Most guys go either in the buff or with just a towel. Either way, they're very RELAXING.

I thought that in the thermal suite (extra charge to use) that there were co-ed sauna and steam rooms ... am I mistaken? We are cruising in Sept on the Radiance and planned to sign up for the thermal suite for the heated loungers and thought that the saunas and steam room were part of the package. Can someone give me more details please.

I steam every day at some point when I'm on a cruise. I feel like I get sluggish if I don't. I've never noticed any lack of maintenance or sanitation issues on any of the ships I've been on. Looking forward to taking a steam in a week on Adventure!! Take care, Jim

I thought that in the thermal suite (extra charge to use) that there were co-ed sauna and steam rooms ... am I mistaken? We are cruising in Sept on the Radiance and planned to sign up for the thermal suite for the heated loungers and thought that the saunas and steam room were part of the package. Can someone give me more details please.
We're just back from Serenade. We thoroughly enjoyed the Thermal Suite. Co-ed steam rooms and heated loungers. Also, a couple of showers with special types of water flows to simulate a "rain" shower and an icy rain. Huge plate glass windows while enjoying all this. There is an up-charge to use, and I believe it is limited sales so that there is room for those who do buy to be able to use. On our Disney Cruise, there was a version of this called the "Tropical Rainforest." Might've been even better.

We have more pics, but haven't finished building the Webshots album yet.

2097023480039822749S200x200Q85.jpg

We're just back from Serenade. We thoroughly enjoyed the Thermal Suite. Co-ed steam rooms and heated loungers. Also, a couple of showers with special types of water flows to simulate a "rain" shower and an icy rain. Huge plate glass windows while enjoying all this. There is an up-charge to use, and I believe it is limited sales so that there is room for those who do buy to be able to use. On our Disney Cruise, there was a version of this called the "Tropical Rainforest." Might've been even better.

We have more pics, but haven't finished building the Webshots album yet.

2097023480039822749S200x200Q85.jpg

Thank you so much for posting the photo, can't wait to see the rest. I was aware of the extra cost. But felt it would be worth the cost. Wish they had the hydropools too that I've seen photos of on Celebrity.

Spurs Fan,

Good to hear from you again! Boy, I bet the sight of that 300 lb nekkid guy was something to behold. Yuck! One should only go nekkid if they have something to show. hehe

Hi MilliesMom: The Radiance-class ships (Radiance, Brilliance, Serenade & Jewel) all have the Thermal Suites, they are all co-ed and are all available for use after paying a "cover charge" (I believe you can even purchase a cruise-long pass, that is slightly cheaper than if you purchase access on a daily basis).

The steam / sauna rooms & showers I was referring to that are not coed are located in the changing rooms of the fitness area/gym, that are usually adjacent to the spa.

Hey one9marine: If your gym's steam room is down, sounds like you need to book your next cruise, bud! haha

Icruzthere4Iam: I agree with your statement. With the exception of the Majesty, the steam, sauna & shower facilities have always been well-maintained. However, a BIG pet peeve of mine is the inconsiderate guys who finish their workouts and walk right into the steam & sauna STILL WEARING THEIR SNEAKERS. *****?!?! They end-up leaving a trail of mud behind them. I always wear flip-flops when steaming because there's always one or two of them on every cruise.

Hey Spurs Fan! Good to hear from you again. Glad to hear you were on the Mariner, bud. When's the next cruise? I'm headed to Serenade in June, Ruby Princess in December and Adventure (December 2009)...I'm one sick cruise-puppy, lol.

Hey Lmurf: I'd have to say the Navigator probably had the busiest steam & sauna rooms when she was doing the 7-night E. Caribbean run, but the Jewel wasn't too far behind, even though the faciltiies were significantly smaller than Navigator's.

I believe I saw a photo of the Freedom-class steam room and it seemed to be about the same size as the Voyager-class ships; is this true?

Wonder how these facilities will be set-up on the Genesis-class (?).

Hi guys! We are not sailing until June 2009. We have booked a Sky Suite on the Century for a Baltic cruise out of Amsterdam.

The steam and sauna rooms on the Mariner were very large, but probably under utilized. Mostly the one older heavy set man (and that is being nice) and a couple of mid-teens.

I was somewhat disappointed that the Mariner did not provide shaving cream, razors, hair gel, mouthwash, etc. in the dressing areas of the steam room as did the Infinity a few years back.

Hey Spurs:

I think the lack of toilettries (sp?) on the Mariner is one of the distinguishing characteristics between the Royal Caribbean & Celebrity brands.

I would fully expect a "premium" line like Celebrity to offer the shaving cream, q-tips, mouthwash, etc. Can't say that I ever remember RCI offering anything more than liquid soap & shampoo in the showers of the locker room (maybe a while back they did).

So no "fun" on the Mariner, Spurs?

;)

Freedom class has a decent sized steam room, it is about twice the size of ones on Radiance class, no windows. The sauna on Freedom has some porthole type windows that let light in which is nice.

Steam rooms on the Crown Princess were pretty active as well as on the Radiance. Freedom wasn't very busy when I was down there, but there were the regulars, LOL.

My favorite steam rooms are the Radiance class because they have the twinkling star lights on the ceiling and they are dark and relaxing.

Can't wait to go on the Serenade this fall!

I just wish that RCI and Princess would design their steam and saunas like Carnival with the big panoramic windows that overlook the ocean, so relaxing to sit there and look out while you are enjoying the steam.

Infinity had the large windows as well. You are right that it is very relaxing to sit and enjoy the heat while looking out the windows.

The Mariner, although not up to Celebrity standards in the sauna was very relaxing and a lot of fun, too.

Welcome, SkierRobUMN!

Thanks for the insight into Crown Princess. Sailing on the Ruby Princess this fall and looking forward to enjoying the spa facilities on that ship. First time sailing on Princess.

I was surprised to hear the Freedom facilities weren't very busy, but I guess it can vary greatly from cruise to cruise. Good to know there were regulars, though. ;)

I've heard about the Carnival steam & sauna rooms and the large windows. I hear they are quite popular and busy. If they're anything like the saunas on the Millenium-class ships (which it seems they are), they must be great.

I also enjoyed the concept for the steam room on the Radiance-class ships, with the lighting & such. Just a little too small for my preference.

Spurs Fans: I hope my trip on the Serenade in June is just as nice & fun as yours may have been on the Mariner.

Do any of you guys shave while you're still inside the steam room? Obviously good for opening-up beard, but I usually need a mirror, lol. I usually bring some lotion down with me to apply while steaming & using sauna; helps to retain skin moisture & in the relaxation process.

Yes! I always shave in the steam room. It is so easy to do....even without lather. There was even a guy shaving areas other than his face. :D

Don't really need a mirror....I usually just shave "by feel" and then go out and check everything in the mirror to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Steam rooms and saunas are GREAT!

Archived