Boston to Barcelona -Happy With Cruiseline's Airfare??

message4u

We have signed up for Celebrity's airfare for our September Med cruise beginning in Barcelona...2 of us from Boston and 2 from Miami.

I've been reading the horror stories about multiple connections, but also would be worried about booking on my own the way flights have been changing and cancelling recently.

Anyone had cruise air to Barcelona and care to share what your flight itinerary was?

I recently booked my own airfare for our Trans Atlantic. From Tucson, Celebrity wanted $1100 per person. I booked my own online with one of those big online travel agencies, for $750. There are 4 of us going on the trip so we saved $1400 by booking on our own. We decided that the savings would more than cover three days in an apartment in Barcelona, so we are flying in three days early.

I realize you might not have as much time off, but I would plan to arrive in Barcelona at least one day before your cruise departs. That would give you time to maybe do some sight-seeing, and give you a cushion should your flight or connections be delayed.

Shop around, you might find that the prices are much better to book on your own and you can control when your flight arrives and how many connections you make, and maybe avoid a connection in an airport like heathrow that is notorious for loosing baggage.

We are taking a Mediterranean Cruise on Brilliance of the Seas in June that starts and ends in Barcelona.

If we booked our air fare through the cruise line it would have cost us $1,600 a person. However, we were able to find non stop flights between JFK and Barcelona on American Airlines for only $1,300 per person. There were flights for even less than that if we were willing to change planes, but it is worth it for us to pay extra for a non stop flight.

We booked our flight with Celebrity for our Trans Atlantic last November, at least the part from Miami to Barcelona (Plane change in Madrid was no problem). It cost $300 each and included the one-way flight to Barcelona, airport to seaport transfer in Barcelona and seaport to Airport transfer in Fort Lauderdale when our cruise ended. It was part of a special for the cruise (Cruise cost, including taxes and fees for 14 day Trans Atlantic was $905.88 each), but was much cheaper than any alternative I could have planned. We made our own reservations for the Portland, OR, to Fort Lauderdale round-trip flight ($226 each), and transfer from Fort Lauderdale to Miami ($30 each). Total cost for two for all air and land transfers was $1,182. Factor in cost of cruise and we spent less than $3,300 for two, including gratuity.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Thanks for the info...love to hear about the great deals.

What I really wanted to know was what kind of flight itinerary people get when they book air thru Celebrity. One stop, two, three? Change planes how many times?

We have booked Celebrity air four times to Barcelona - each time we have had one connection - which we expected to have as there are no direct flights from Chicago to Barcelona. We have had a change of planes in JFK for one trip and Charles de Gaulle for three trips (our choice)

As I noted in my earlier post. Our flight was from Miami to Barcelona with a change of plane in Madrid. No other stops. Hope this helps. We flew on Iberia Airline. Good luck!

Hi Bob:

This might be our choice as well for November. How was the Iberia experience? I have read some very negative comments about the airline and cramped seating.

We have had a change of planes in JFK for one trip and Charles de Gaulle for three trips (our choice)

When we booked through Celebrity for our Century cruise in 2006, we were routed from Detroit through deGaulle with a one hour connection window. Only because our flight was nearly one hour early were we able to make our connection to Barcelona. Getting off a plane, on a bus, into a terminal, line up for immigration, line up for flight, line up for bus and into the plane took over 90 minutes and very stressful because of the walking distance involved.

For our upcoming Summit cruise in November I would not pick DeGaulle by choice. Your JFK experience must have been horrendous to make you prefer the alternative.

Our Iberia flight was OK, but then we're used to flying on Southwest. The way we were originally booked by Celebrity, the two of us were separated by seven, count them, seven rows. I went through three days of conversations, back and forth, with Iberia, Celebrity and our TA before we were seated together for our Trans Atlantic flight. We were in separate rows (My wife was in the seat right behind me) for our flight from Madrid to Barcelona, but the flight was only about 1/2 full and an hour long.

Our flight from Miami to Madrid was delayed about 1 1/2 hours, but we were originally scheduled for a 4 1/3 hour layover in Madrid. Because of the delay in Miami, where we met some wonderful people who were on the same cruise, we only had to spend 2 1/2 hours in the Madrid airport.

We arrived on time in Barcelona, caught our transfer bus and arrived at the ship at 2:27 p.m., which was about 3 minutes ahead of what I estimated before leaving home. We were to meet some friends at the cruiseport before boarding the ship, and had planned to meet at 2:30 p.m.

As for cramped seating. We always fly economy/coach and it is always cramped. Iberia was about the same as all other airlines I've flown.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Our Iberia flight was OK,

As for cramped seating. We always fly economy/coach and it is always cramped. Iberia was about the same as all other airlines I've flown.

Bob:

Thanks for the the quick response and heads up on the seating arrangements.

Hi, just felt I should point out one fact that hasn't been stated. We were scheduled to leave on the Century for November of this year. When we booked this trip Celebrity wanted 600.00 per person and we found our own air for 400.00 each. Unfortunately Celebrity is changing their smoking policy with a start date of Oct 1st, 2008. Since we are heavy smokers and wouldn't enjoy ourselves based on these new criteria, we are forced to cancel our trip. BUT, Celebrity, doesn't want to know about our air. Saying this is our own problem and since they ddin't book it, we're responsibe. I just wanted to give you a heads up on this. The next change after the smoking will be, who knows what and that might affect your booking, so be careful with booking your own air. I strongly suggest Insurance for a just in case scenario. I wish we had bought it.

Howard

When we booked through Celebrity for our Century cruise in 2006, we were routed from Detroit through deGaulle with a one hour connection window. Only because our flight was nearly one hour early were we able to make our connection to Barcelona. Getting off a plane, on a bus, into a terminal, line up for immigration, line up for flight, line up for bus and into the plane took over 90 minutes and very stressful because of the walking distance involved.

For our upcoming Summit cruise in November I would not pick DeGaulle by choice. Your JFK experience must have been horrendous to make you prefer the alternative.

Yes our experience with JFK was horrendous. The part of the airport where we disembarked and changed planes was dark and dirty. We stopped at a Chili's at the airport for something to eat between flights and it was filthy. Celebrity booked us on Delta and we flew Delta for the ORD to JFK leg but had a code share with a Mexican airlines for the JFK to BCN leg. The plane was worn and dirty. Everything except the inedible meal and water and soda was extra. We much preferred our Air France flights even with tight connections. We only had a hour layover on our last flight, but due to my husbands two hip replacements and the length of time it takes him to walk and the problems going through security, our TA arranged for a wheelchair for him so we made our flight in Paris with time to spare.

I strongly suggest Insurance for a just in case scenario. I wish we had bought it.

Howard

I don't think any insurance policy would reimburse smoking policy changes as a reason for cancelling a cruise. We learned our lesson when we booked our own air to a cruise that was cancelled due to an infamous propulsion problem. We had insured our flight but we did not collect because there was no weather disruption, no illness no death, just a missed cruise. We now use cruiseline air because "stuff" happens.

There have been a number of interruptions in the last few years. I would not fly through Heathrow because their new terminal has serious flaws, mountains of lost luggage and flight cancellations.

AA had their inspections of old MD planes that caused a 1,000+ cancellations. Millennium had an oops moment last year which resulted in cancelled cruises. With the cost of flying to Europe going up and the cost of hotels equaling the price of a used car, I will not book my own flights. That's for the gamblers.;)

Yes our experience with JFK was horrendous. The part of the airport where we disembarked and changed planes was dark and dirty.

Thanks for the warning.

We tried to get a flight with few connections. We looked at trying to get the flight from Tucson to Atlanta and Atlanta to BCN on Delta... and the price was way expensive.

I guess one of the reasons that we decided to do the air on our own was that we figured that we might get just as many, if not more connections through Celebrity air, and we could at least save some money by booking it directly. So we went with Tucson to Houston, Houston to Newark and then the flight overseas is a direct flight from Newark to Barcelona. We felt that this would be easier than trying to make a connection in London or Paris or Madrid. By booking ourselves we could choose the flights. We have a short connection in Houston, but there is another flight that departs after ours from Houston to Newark, so we figure that the airline would try to put us on that one if we missed the short connection in Houston.

As far as a "what if our cruise is cancelled" scenario. We have a contingency for that too. We will still fly to Barcelona. Spend some time in Spain, and then try to get a decent price on a one way flight to San Juan at some point, and then return home on our original flight back from San Jaun. It would be an expensive trip but more than likely our next cruise would be free, so we figure its is kind of a wash. But I know that such a scenario is not exactly practical for many travelers.

Please check out the 05 Infinity thread...we are trying to take a poll to see if we can put together something for everyone (the old "herding cats routine") for a 09 fall reunion cruise....schedules are starting to come out and we need to determine if we have any kind of consensus of where to go....hope you are well ...you will love Barcelona...we were there late last November...it is an awesome city! ..did the T/A back to Miami...too fun!!! LuAnn

When we booked this trip Celebrity wanted 600.00 per person and we found our own air for 400.00 each. Unfortunately Celebrity is changing their smoking policy with a start date of Oct 1st, 2008. Since we are heavy smokers and wouldn't enjoy ourselves based on these new criteria, we are forced to cancel our trip. BUT, Celebrity, doesn't want to know about our air.....

<snip>

.... I strongly suggest Insurance for a just in case scenario. I wish we had bought it.

I realize that Celebrity's air was more expensive than the air you bought, but if I'm not mistaken, you would not be out any money now for Celebrity Air for cancelling the cruise so far in the advance had you chosen Celebrity's air package.

Instead of buying trip insurance, then, Celebrity Air "purchase" (really more like a reservation until final payment, I think) would accomplish the same thing, wouldn't it? If so, that's perhaps another option that some folks should consider when deciding to go with cruise air or individual air.

In particular, I am thinking of people who might be similarly affected when other cruise lines decide to institute the same restrictive smoking policy you mentioned, and which most of us...LOVE.

Since you plan to cruise in November, perhaps you can find another cruise or land package in the same area, and your air won't go to waste.

Since you plan to cruise in November, perhaps you can find another cruise or land package in the same area, and your air won't go to waste.

I can't let this opportunity pass me by...

"and your air won't go up in smoke" :D

(sorry but I do laugh at my own jokes even if other people don't find it funny);)

Thank you all for your great input. I guess Celebrity air will be the way I will go, so I don't have to stress over flights cancelled, connections late, airlines going out of business, cruise cancelled, etc.

I'm wondering if I am unhappy with the flights once they finally let us know what they are (60 days out?), if I can do some type of custom air...I assume there would be an additional charge for customizing it, and probably also difference between what we paid and going rate for flights at the time.

Anyone done this?

I'm wondering if I am unhappy with the flights once they finally let us know what they are (60 days out?), if I can do some type of custom air...I assume there would be an additional charge for customizing it, and probably also difference between what we paid and going rate for flights at the time.

Anyone done this?

We're cruising on a flight promo to Amsterdam in July. Celebrity will not allow me to deviate my air and they will tell me my flight 10 days after final payment. However we're saving $600 pp for the flight so I can afford to waste a day flying through Heathrow.

Some flights can be deviated (requested) with no fee if you're Captain's Club (elite?) $50-$75 if you are not plus whatever the difference the airlines charge for your choice.

Promo flights cannot be deviated.

We have signed up for Celebrity's airfare for our September Med cruise beginning in Barcelona...2 of us from Boston and 2 from Miami.

I've been reading the horror stories about multiple connections, but also would be worried about booking on my own the way flights have been changing and cancelling recently.

Anyone had cruise air to Barcelona and care to share what your flight itinerary was?

We also live in Boston and have taking 6 European cruises, but never use cruiseline air. I would not recommend it unless it is sooooo much cheaper or you can request custom air, that way you can pick the flights you want. Second, it is always better to fly a day early - that way you have more time to get to the ship in case of flight changes. And the most important - get travel insurance. That will give piece of mind and you will be covered all around.

When you do air with Celebrity, does that include tranfers? Or is it booking the hotel through X that includes tranfers? Or is it that you must book both air ANd hotel for the transfers to be included. I know they can be purchased, but I wondered which way includes the transfers?

Thanks!

Archived