Rain Gear & Binoculars - ???

EllieD

1st cruise to Alaska (with mom). I am paying for this mother-daughter trip and it's getting pretty expensive. We leave in 3 weeks. Been reading lots of posts and have 3 questions:

*Mom and I own water resistant rain jackets (fleece lined w/ hoods) but they are just basic from Wal-mart. No Gore-tex. Not waterproof. No "breathability" mechanisms, etc. We've never used them b/c when it rains in Texas we just use umbrellas and run to our cars, smile! Excursions: just the 3 hr Mendenhall Glacier tour, the 3.5 train/bus Whitepass train, Lumberjack show and walking around the towns.

Question 1: Should I spend the money on better quality rain gear? And if so can you recommend the name of one that won't cost me the price of another cruise, smile!

Question 2: Mom and I only own mesh running shoes, clearly not good if it happens to rain every day. Any suggestions on affordable weather shoes for Alaska town walking?

We are not real big nature/wildlife folks - typically cruise for pure relaxation in the Caribbean/Mexico. Going to Alaska just b/c people talk so much about it's beauty so we want to see it for ourselves while mom is still in good health.

Question 3: Wasn't planning on bringing binoculars. How important are they? Anyone traveled to Alaska without them and didn't feel they missed out?

I apologize for the long post. Wanted to make sure you had the necessary background info.

Thanks in advance for your input!

We took fleece lined jackets, not waterproof, and carried our umbrellas and we were fine.

We wore tennis shoes and didn't feel like we needed anything else while on excursions.

We took binoculars and were glad we did. We could see whales off in the distance while standing on the balcony.

Enjoy your cruise. Alaska is awesome and pictures just don't do it justice!

I've been to Alaska 3 times with my Mom, you'll have a great time.

Your rain jackets should be fine, bring an umbrella also. Make sure you have a heavyier jacket and sweatshirts, because it will be chilly.

Your running shoes will be fine too. If they get wet, blow dry them when you get back to your cabin.

Binoculars ... brought them once. By the time I got them out whatever I wanted to see was gone. Unless you have them around your neck at all times you won't miss them. The scenery is so beautiful you won't miss what you can't see.

Have a great cruise

No huge need to rush out and purchase Gore-tex, you will likely be ok with what you have. Consider purchasing inexpensive ponchos to put over you jackets if necessary.

You might be advised to purchase leather sneakers and spray them with a waterproofing. But at the very least do spray your mesh ones.

Binoculars are very nice to have but not essential; it just depends upon what you want to get out of your trip.

At the very least I would consider purchasing an inexpensive lightweight poncho you could put on over your jackets if you encounter a truly drenching rain...nothing worse than being wet and cold and unable to enjoy the scenery.

As for binoculars, wildlife is our highest priority so we bring a minimum of one pair per person. I would consider investing in at least one inexpensive pair, as they are enjoyable even for scenery viewing (distant glaciers, towns on the coast, fishing boats....)

WalMart does sell some waterproof jackets in the sporting/camping section that are very reasonable - $25-$30 - in case you would like to check them out. They are very lightweight and breathable.

As I am now living in North Texas, I certain do understand your questions. I have the same sort of mesh shoes for walking and love them! Issues? Well, make sure they are slippery on wet surfaces! You don't want Mom to fall! If they are slippery, buy something else. As far as using them in the rain, a waterproof spray (do it at home) helps. You will get damp feet. Just make sure to change to dry shoes and socks when you get back to the ship.

Umbrellas? I don't bother with those. I need my hands free for taking photos and using my walking stick. Also they are just a bother!

Do buy a couple cheap ponchos while in Texas. Much cheaper than buying then in Alaska.

I use a monocular rather than binoculars. Smaller, lighter and easier to have hanging around my neck all the time. Perhaps you can borrow one from a friend.

Don't forget your anti-dry skin creams or lotions. Alaska can ruin your beautiful Texas skin!

I think the Monocular is very important to us. But wildlife viewing is very

important to us. You can get a monocular from 19 - 100. Depending on

how much you want to spend at a good local sporting good store.

Rain coats are important, but you know the one better than we do. I

don't think the gore-tex are necessary. But just make sure they can dry

out easy.

Shoes... Where Alaska rains often the ground is wet. You often are on

hills or stairs. I would make sure you have more than a running shoe. But

a hiking shoe/boot which has a traction for a tread. We purchase some

for $25.00 on clearance a sportsman warehouse. You should find some thing

at a REI, cabela or basspro type store. If you are flying into Seattle and

have an extra day REI has a flagship store which is 7 stories.

Yes, gazingm42. You are correct. There is a slip and fall risk when touring especially South East Alaska due to wet conditions. I am an expert on slips and falls as I have had so many!

I do not take my mesh shoes to Alaska, but instead wear a modified trekking shoe that protects my ankles. They are not boots, but are much lighter in weight and don't slip on wet surfaces.

I feel that umbrellas are dangerous in Alaska as you give up one hand that you may need to hold on to something.

Gosh don't I love REI as well! I have an old REI number. Very old.

Yes, gazingm42. You are correct. There is a slip and fall risk when touring especially South East Alaska due to wet conditions. I am an expert on slips and falls as I have had so many!

I do not take my mesh shoes to Alaska, but instead wear a modified trekking shoe that protects my ankles. They are not boots, but are much lighter in weight and don't slip on wet surfaces.

I feel that umbrellas are dangerous in Alaska as you give up one hand that you may need to hold on to something.

Gosh don't I love REI as well! I have an old REI number. Very old.

I have shopped there for 25 years. But unfortunately we are 3 hours away

from a small REI. But do have a basspro, sportsman warehouse and now

Dicks. But its not the same as REI. So we added another day to Seattle

just to goto REI flagship store. Time to pickup things I could not find here,

or could not carry on the plane.

I have not slipped myself but did see someone slip in Ketchikan a few years

back. She had a umbrella in her right hand. So I seen 1st hand how

important a good shoe is.

We just picked up shoes yesterday, due to a no tax sale yesterday. If the

kids feet grow in the next 50 days we going be out of luck.

I found a waterproof shoe (Lewis & Clark "All Weather Moc") that was recommended somewhere on this board at Sams's in Houston for $9.81. It has a deep tread and a soft lining and seems very comfortable.

By rain ponchos do people mean the small ones that come folded up in a small pouch? Wonder if I could ever get it re-folded after it was used???

I found a waterproof shoe (Lewis & Clark "All Weather Moc") that was recommended somewhere on this board at Sams's in Houston for $9.81. It has a deep tread and a soft lining and seems very comfortable.

By rain ponchos do people mean the small ones that come folded up in a small pouch? Wonder if I could ever get it re-folded after it was used???

We got disposable rain poncho at each port if it is raining. It costs $5 and does the work well.

To us, viewing the majestic scenery and wildlife is our priority in Alaska. Everyone in our family got a pair of binoculars so we make sure nobody misses out anything. We were glad we did. I believe it is essential if you want to see wildlife during your trip.

I was just at target this AM and picked up some of the 99cent disposable ponchos...we will use them over our foul weather gear if we run into really nasty weather (so we don't have to deal with all the wet clothing in the cabin). I have to thank Margord on our roll call for this excellent travel tip.

This type can also work if you don't want to buy waterproof outerwear. My husband and I do have waterproof jackets, but like whale-watcher, if we hit really nasty weather, we will use a lightweight poncho over our coats. Here is something you could consider. They would likely be available at local sport goods stores or places like Kmart, Target, etc.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=20292&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

or

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39299651&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

These are not breathable, but in a pinch should be very helpful.

Water resistant just doesn't cut it in Alaska. That is what we had for our first trip there and boy was I miserable as we cruised through Tracy Arm in the rain. I wanted to be on deck so that I could see everything and I was but I was drenched to the bone and freezing in my water resistant jacket!:eek: The next year we invested in Gore-tex jackets and have no regrets at all. We use them all the time here when it rains. I really don't like using an umbrella. LLBean has a waterproof, breathable jacket for $59 that sounds like it would be great. Others have also mentioned a jacket that Walmart carries for about $30 that would work well. I really like the breathable aspect since I don't like to feel warm (or cold) and clammy like I do when I wear a vinyl raincoat or poncho.

Binoculars ... brought them once. By the time I got them out whatever I wanted to see was gone. Unless you have them around your neck at all times you won't miss them. The scenery is so beautifulyou won't miss what you can't see.

:D :D :D Hee! Hee! Hee!

We are cruising for the first time in Sept and have purchased waterproof hats, shoes, pants and jackets. We are flying in from Australia and want to be able to continue being comfortable regardless of the weather. The hats have a wide brim so hopefully they will keep my glasses and the camera dry!!

Crocs are dangerous in wet and slippery conditions! They've been banned where I work because too many people fell while wearing Crocs.

I tried to give mine away to a charity but was told that they aren't even allowed to give them to the poor for liability reasons!

Crocs are dangerous in wet and slippery conditions! They've been banned where I work because too many people fell while wearing Crocs.

I tried to give mine away to a charity but was told that they aren't even allowed to give them to the poor for liability reasons!

:eek: :eek: I LOVE my crocs! Has anyone ever tried the totes over your shoe things?

I was just at target this AM and picked up some of the 99cent disposable ponchos...we will use them over our foul weather gear if we run into really nasty weather (so we don't have to deal with all the wet clothing in the cabin). I have to thank Margord on our roll call for this excellent travel tip.

I bring these on almost all of my trips (especially to amusement parks) because they're lightweight, don't spoil, and you can pitch 'em when you're done. Of course, I've never been to Alaska. And my husband and I have yet to take a vacation where it doesn't rain hard at least once... so we're used to getting wet. :p

How can you tell if your rain jacket is rain proof or resistant? I have several jackets and they are 100% nylon or polyester combo of some sort.

Usually the label will say if it is waterproof. Usually nylon is water resistant, vinyl, rubber-backed fabric, and Gore-tex are waterproof. Water resistant will keep you dry in a brief, light shower or sprinkle but not in a steady or hard rain. Gore-tex has recently become "generic" so there are cheaper versions available. LLBean has a nice generic Gore-tex jacket for $59.

I didn't know there was a "breathable" vs. "unbreathable" either! :eek: :o

Some jackets are vented, meaning that there are breathing holes usually under the arms or under flaps. This helps somewhat but it can still get clammy under such a jacket. Only fabrics like Gore-tex are truly breathable. They keep the rain out but let the perspiration evaporate through the fabric. I don't know how it works but it does. It rained all day today here and I wore my Gore-tex every time that I went out. I was never uncomfortable and I stayed perfectly dry. My previous waterproof jacket was flannel-lined vinyl and I was frequently just as wet wearing the jacket as I would be without it because I perspired so much. Not a good feeling.:eek:

Archived