Island Princess April 6

britsbest

It was my absolute favourite cruise so far ! Island Princess is a wonderful ship, just right size and there were never queues in Horizon etc.

I never saw trouble with chair hogs, our favourite spot was at the rear on deck 14 just above the small pool, or if that was full deck 15 aft.

We went to fwd deck 10 for most of the canal transit and we were up at 5am. The tables in Horizon (at the front of the ship on Island) were all taken by then!!!

We also went to deck 8 aft where there were hardly any passengers on this small area.

If I tried hard the only complaint would be that the food in the restaurant (late sitting) was not as hot as it could have been but thats being really picky!

We did Princess trip in Cartagena to an island by speed boat which was really good, in Costa Rica we did Costa Rica Favourites which was amazing and in other ports we just wandered off the boat.

Both embarkation and disembarkation was a breeze.

We used both a coffee card and soda card (sticker) and I posted else where about these (Coffee card coffee is so week its hardly coloured water! but we straightened out the server!!! Soda card shared (I know I know!!)

We removed auto tipping. No problem. ( I have my flame proof suit on If you don't agree just ignore me!)

I read with interest until I got to the removal of the auto tip and the two fer one soda card. Time for someone to be placed on the ignore list, I have had enough. ;) :(

If you see my posts don't open them OK?

It's (almost) a free world and I am entitled to my opinion.

People like you who would prefer that I should not be allowed to express my views rule China !

Did you give your tips directly to the staff? I know on HAL we wanted to give them extra, but if you took the auto off they had to put everything into the pool. Does Princess also do this? We left ours on and they all got to keep the extra.:)

Over here we don't go a bundle on tipping. We expect good service with out being subject to pressure to tip.

Every one we met before boarding made it obvious they expected tips.

This runs through out the US as far as I can see, including but not exclusively, baggage handlers, bell boys, coach drivers, tour reps etc etc.

We enquired on board, before and after removing auto tip.....or hotel charge as it now known, whether the recipient could keep the contents of their envelope. The pursers office, the cruise director and the staff all said it was theirs to keep. Whether this is true or not I neither know or really care.

We did tip those who we considered provided exceptional service, our table attenders, steward and one particular waitress in the patisserie were all recipients.

Thanks for the info on the Island - we are doing the Pacific Panama roundtrip this September - we have one of the "bump out" minisuites in the center of the ship - Ive heard this will give some great panoramic views!

Guest arowe6
Did you give your tips directly to the staff? I know on HAL we wanted to give them extra, but if you took the auto off they had to put everything into the pool. Does Princess also do this? We left ours on and they all got to keep the extra.:)

Yes...

We were told by a member of the waitstaff that if we cancel our tips and then tip individually then our money goes into a pool and is split between everyone.....it doesn't go directly to the person we originally tipped.

As far as that being true, I don't know. And as far as that being fleet wide instead of just the wait staff, again I don't know.

We just left the auto tips on and tipped extra where we felt it was warranted.

-Andrew :)

Archived