Hump, aft...newbie question

Ok, read alot on here about hump cabins, aft cabins etc. This is so new to me forgive my ignorance but how do you know which is which.

We are traveling on liberty of the seas, 3 cabins 7292, 7294 and 7320.

What are the benefits/downfalls of each of those locations?

Hump cabins are those cabins located on the part of the ship that "rounds" out from the ship's side. We have one, #8338. Some people have said that they like them because you are further out from the other cabins so you have a better view. This will be the first time we are in a cabin of that type (first time in a balcony), so couldn't tell you first hand.

The aft cabins have larger decks. I've heard pros and cons about the back, but mostly pros... We are planning on trying out an aft cabin on the next cruise we do.

Hope this helps!

Ok, read alot on here about hump cabins, aft cabins etc. This is so new to me forgive my ignorance but how do you know which is which.

We are traveling on liberty of the seas, 3 cabins 7292, 7294 and 7320.

What are the benefits/downfalls of each of those locations?

You do not have a HUMP or AFT cabin. All three of your cabins are in front of the hump. Look at a ships map of cabins. cabins 7332 - 7346 are on the hump. The cabins at the back of the ship with big balconies are called AFT cabins. For example 7412 and 7412 are AFT cabins.

BILL

Only thing that puts me off aft cabins is that I've heard a few people on here say that they tend to get covered in soot from the ships funnel. I think the balconies look amazing because they are so big, but this really does put me off.

We've got our first hump cabin on Mariner in 3 weeks time which I'm really looking forward to :D We have 6318, which is center hump and means we will get unobstructed views both forward and aft whoo hoo!

Well, we prefer something near, or on, the hump! It's so convenient--close to the stairs and elevators! The hallways to the aft is loooooong! If you do alot of running back and forth to your cabin, a hump area is so nice! The only difference is the balcony size. The afts are much deeper than the side/hump balcony. But, if there are only 2 of you, a side balcony is more than ample!

Only thing that puts me off aft cabins is that I've heard a few people on here say that they tend to get covered in soot from the ships funnel. I think the balconies look amazing because they are so big, but this really does put me off.

We've got our first hump cabin on Mariner in 3 weeks time which I'm really looking forward to :D We have 6318, which is center hump and means we will get unobstructed views both forward and aft whoo hoo!

I hear mention occasionally of the soot problem, and I don't disrespect those posters at all. We've only sailed the Voyager-class aft twice, but that is 2 weeks at sea and no soot. Wouldn't dare say it couldn't happen, but it wouldn't slow me down for a second on re-booking someday as we sail Voyager-class again.

in my opinion.........it doesn't matter, hump aft, whatever.......

in my experience, what matters is where geographically your cabin is located. Me and the husband tend to be prone to seasickness but do take meds to control it. however, you feel the least movement on the ship in the center of the ship and more than that, the center and low. so, if you have a sea day with rough waters and are at the front or back of the ship and get queasy....you'd be much happier in the middle of the ship. :-)

we always get a room closest to the promenade. i will NEVER stay in the very front or back of the ship.

We sailed on Mariner - corner aft (7688) and no soot whatsoever during the entire 7 days. Here are a couple of photos I took of the balcony showing the larger size and views. This is an E1 category.

PICT0671_edited.jpg

PICT0656_edited.jpg

I am thinking about booking an aft/hump cabin on a Voyager class ship for our honeymoon next year. Does the balcony get much sun? Most photos I've seen show the balcony in full shade - I would like to do some sunbathing :)

Thanks

Kelly

I am thinking about booking an aft/hump cabin on a Voyager class ship for our honeymoon next year. Does the balcony get much sun? Most photos I've seen show the balcony in full shade - I would like to do some sunbathing :)

Thanks

Kelly

It totally depends on which cabin you book as well as time of day and direction travelled! Most of the aft cabins get at least a bit of both sun AND shade but some of the balconies are sunnier and some are shadier. On Voyager-class and Freedom-class ships, the sunnier aft balconies would be on decks 8 and 9 and the aft balconies on deck 10 also get sun near the railing. The deck 10 aft/corner balconies get some sun near the railing but have an alcove on the side that is pretty much always shady (which I like). Most of the deck 6 and 7 aft balconies get some sun near the railing at some point in the day but otherwise tend to be a bit more on the shady side. But, as stated previously, it all depends on time of day and direction travelled! ;)

I hear mention occasionally of the soot problem, and I don't disrespect those posters at all. We've only sailed the Voyager-class aft twice, but that is 2 weeks at sea and no soot. Wouldn't dare say it couldn't happen, but it wouldn't slow me down for a second on re-booking someday as we sail Voyager-class again.

I too have heard folks complain of soot on the very same balconies that I have sailed on but I personally have never experienced soot either. I would not let a little bit of soot keep me off my aft balcony though! :D

I have had soot on the two Vision class aft balconies that I have had. This was not an everyday occurrence. I just cleaned it off and enjoyed the balcony. (I did have to remember to clean off the soles of my shoes too.) Sure didn't stop me from booking an aft on our upcoming Alaska cruise.

Archived