NCL cruise in Dec. from NY

bmytwokids

Hi forum

I'd like to plan a Florida/Bahamas cruise in Dec. on NCL Gem out of NY. My only concern is the weather -- I know my kids will want to go in the pool but leaving out of NY that will be impossible at least for a day. Can anyone tell who's sailed in Dec. out of NY tell me when I can expect to be able to use the pool on the ship? I'm assuming once we get to Florida the weather should be fine. Also, what happens in the event of snow? I've only cruised before during the summer months so I'm not sure what to expect this time around. Thanks.

Hi forum

I'd like to plan a Florida/Bahamas cruise in Dec. on NCL Gem out of NY. My only concern is the weather -- I know my kids will want to go in the pool but leaving out of NY that will be impossible at least for a day. Can anyone tell who's sailed in Dec. out of NY tell me when I can expect to be able to use the pool on the ship? I'm assuming once we get to Florida the weather should be fine. Also, what happens in the event of snow? I've only cruised before during the summer months so I'm not sure what to expect this time around. Thanks.

I sailed on the Dawn February, 2007 and you can't really use the pool until the third day (assuming you count the day you leave as the first day). You may be able to use the hot tubs on the second day depending on weather. Unless the pool area on the Gem is different from the Dawn. One thing I never understood with NCL is that for the ships that leave out of NYC why they don't have covered pool areas like most of the other lines. You really waste about 4 or five days coming and going when you can't comfortably use the pool area in the winter months.

I sailed out of NYC on the Dawn in March 2007 and it was cold. The next afternoon was better but it was the second full sea day before people really went into the pool. The whole winter to summer transition was part of the fun of the trip. There was plenty to do otherwise (or nothing at all!) It's hard to describe but we enjoyed the trip enough that we booked it (on the GEM) for February 2009. We don't have small kids cruising with us so the pool is a little less important.

Weather is always changing, and unfortunately totally unpredictable. 2years ago (dec 06) sailing out of NYC it was the second day (1st sea day) that you could really go into the pools. The weather was great the rest of time, and didn't turn cool again until the last afternoon. This past Dec (07) we sailed on the Gem to Florida/Bahamas. The weather was only really good for 2 pool days, in my opinion, the day we were in Florida and the private Island. We did enjoy the pool then. After that the weather turned cool, and even when we were in Nassau and Freeport, the weather was way to cold for the pool, and even the beach.

Did that stop us from booking this year, NO!

You asked what about snow. We have not run into that. However there was a sailing 2 years ago I beleive leaving from Boston that ran into a hugh snow storm. There were some pictures here on this board, that showed the deck covered in snow and the crew building snowman beside the pool. From what I have read, this did not stop some people from using the hot tubs.

NYC is great place to sail from anytime of the year.

If it's warmth you are looking for - you should get some nice pool weather by the second full day at sea - unless Mother Nature objects. We found the 10-11 day Southern Caribbean more to our liking - at least then you know it should be warmer for most of the trip. We enjoyed the first and last two days of cooler weather which allowed us to firstly unwind and lastly to acclimatize and pack for the journey home. Personally I wouldn't be looking for warm weather in the Bahamas/Florida until at least March April - or early fall. Heck Miami was 40 F when we were there the end of Feb 08 - brrr. :eek: So you just never know for sure - it's your choice to gamble on the weather - just like the rest of us. ;)

As for snow - well depending on when you go in Dec NY may have snow - or not. I do think that NCL has a policy that protects your travel if inclement weather occurs. Just don't recall the wording. Search for the pictures of the DAWN for 2005/06 winter. Now that was something to see - about 3 ft of snow on the pool deck.

We did the Bahamas and Florida run on the Dawn several years ago in March. It was cold and windy. We have pics of ourselves in coats and gloves. The next day we were in shorts. I liked it.:D

The pool is not very important to us.

Archived