What a difficult descision!

Gixer

OK, you guys that said the only way to make the time until our 2010 cruise more bearable is to book another one in between are right :D

It turns out that we will now find ourselves in the UK Apr 09 for a few weeks, so just out of curiosity I had a look at European cruises...

I now have a tough choice between a 12 night Jade cruise in a CV - I much prefer the ports on this cruise and would be excited about the cabin

or

a 14 night cruise on Independance of the seas in a Grand suite.

The cost is exactly the same for both cruises (within 100 bucks the same) but if we go Independance we sail from Southampton so no air to Barcelona involved and we get 2 extra days.

If go with NCL we get a CV and all the perks that go with it which are a lot more than suites on RCCL and better ports, but will have to fly from the UK to Spain.

What would you guys do?

p.s - any ideas on how to sweet talk hubby into this idea?!

The privacy of the CV is nice, but the GS on Independence should get you into the concierge lounge every day where coctails are served free - in case that is a consideration. We are diamond on RCI, but will sail on NCL in November in a GV - looking very much forward to it!

Either way, have a great voyage!

We are also considering a sailing on the Jade out of Barcelona. The air fares from London should not be too ££ and there are several options as far as airlines are concerned.

We would choose NCL as we really like their product.

Thanks for your input!

I talked to hubby last night (I made him his favourite steak dinner so he knew the instant he came through the door from work that it was going to cost him $ :o )

He basically said he didnt care either way, he never gets involved in the planning so was happy to leave the decision up to me. But the good news is that he said we could go woooo hoooo! :D

So, taking everything into consideration, I have decided to go with RCCL Independance of the Seas. My reasons are -

We are already planning an NCL cruise for Jan 2010

No Air/hotels involved to Barcelona (after a 26hrs flight from the Falklands that is a HUGE plus point)

We get 2 extra days on the ship

Lots of great things for the kids such as surf pool/ice rink/movies etc

The negatives I could come up with for the RCCL cruise are -

Ports not as interesting

Perks not as good for suite guests as NCL

Traditional dining (I have had to promise hubby that I wont make him go to any formal nights or have to wear a suit at any point during the cruise so I guess we will be eating at the Windjammer a lot!)

So for Apr 09 it looks like its Independance of the Seas :D

I don't think you will regret your decision. We are on the Jewel in May out of London to the Baltic in an OS (but we like GS, too) and we plan on eating in the Windjammer often because we are determined to not gain an ounce on the cruise and because we want to spend a lot less time in the dining room. Two hours is just too long! Have a great time and it actually sounds like he was pretty easy to convince!

If you did choose flying to Barcelona the flights may well be more expensive than normal because of Easter holidays depending on your dates ....

Well Iv actually booked Independance now sailing from Southampton so no air issues thank heavens! - just out of interest when are the Easter school hols in the UK next year?

Well Iv actually booked Independance now sailing from Southampton so no air issues thank heavens! - just out of interest when are the Easter school hols in the UK next year?

Easter Day 2009 falls on April 12, so it's bound to be 2 weeks prior and one week after for the private schools in the UK (they have 3 weeks). I think the comp schools have 2 weeks: one before and one after. The private schools here in Bermuda always take 2 weeks: last week of March and first week of April, regardless of when Easter Day is.

Traditional dining (I have had to promise hubby that I wont make him go to any formal nights or have to wear a suit at any point during the cruise so I guess we will be eating at the Windjammer a lot!)

When we took a RCCL cruise our son got sick on the formal night and we could not leave him in room (he was 3 at the time), we had room service - they had the SAME formal menu as the dining room. This meant we did not miss the formal dinner and we did not have to dress up either. We were able to order a bottle of wine with dinner in cabin.

So cheat yourselves and have the formal dinner in your room sans dressing up!!

If we had to go on RCCL again we'd use this as we all aren't keen on formal wear (we love smart resort casual).

Archived