Talk to me about tipping....

They're neat. They're cute.
I thought the purpose of using unusual coins or currency was to have the tip more readily-remembered. If someone is serving dozens or hundreds of people, it would be comparatively easy to remember the guy who tipped with a $2 bill.

I think I'd prefer to use the $2 bill approach, rather than the $1 coin approach, just due weight, volume and other storage-related considerations. It does reduce flexibility a bit (being that the tips must be in $2 increments).

the purpose of using unusual coins or currency was to have the tip more readily-remembered
That is my understanding. It sets you apart from the crowd. I know that there was a thread about using either dollar coins or $2 bills for tipping and some responses indicated that ship's crew was skeptical of them.

Note to those who may be going to the bank for tip money: You can ask for new bills. They are often (although not always) available. Very crisp and clean look, naturally.

The new fifty dollar bill Click Here For Info would also make a great impression with it's colorful design. Hmm...I suppose an old, wet, dirty fifty would make a great impression on the room service person that received it for brining you a cup of coffee :rolleyes:

I must say that its good news for those of use travelling to America as It is a trial telling your notes apart all being the same colour (ours are vibrantly different with different see through plastic bits). I know yours are different sizes but for the newbie that doesn't help all that much. So they now have colours on the $10 and the $50 according to your website 98charlie - there are three, what's the other coloured one - the $20? Are they all coloured the same or are they different?

The twenty is also colored. The size of all bills is identical. Since I've grown up with the size factor, it never bothers me. I know that in some countries there are different sizes somewhat corresponding to the different values.

I've generally been able to cope with the "coin of the realm" after a day or two in a new country. The US notes are really pretty easy to differentiate. The following link will show you the differences in our notes better than I could explain. Link to Bureau of Engraving and Printing

Archived