Tipping question - drinks/bar staff

leela14

I have the NCL "Welcome Aboard" booklet here, and I just noticed something different from Royal Carribbean. On RCCL there was 15% tip automatically added to each drink that was ordered. The NCL brochure reads like this (page 15, top paragraph)

"Also certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks, the recommended gratuity is 15 percent."

Does this mean that when you order a drink, the receipt doesn't automatically have a tip added on, that it is at your discretion? And that means the bar staff doesn't get to benefit from the service charge? why not? Just curious, because it's completely different than RCCL.

TiA.

I have the NCL "Welcome Aboard" booklet here, and I just noticed something different from Royal Carribbean. On RCCL there was 15% tip automatically added to each drink that was ordered. The NCL brochure reads like this (page 15, top paragraph)

"Also certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks, the recommended gratuity is 15 percent."

Does this mean that when you order a drink, the receipt doesn't automatically have a tip added on, that it is at your discretion? And that means the bar staff doesn't get to benefit from the service charge? why not? Just curious, because it's completely different than RCCL.

TiA.

In the reference above, I believe NCL is discussing kids crew counselors, spa staff, concierge, and butler. Personnel which you may or may not use.

Cocktail waiters and waitresses get tips from the 15% added onto every bar bill. On International crewed ships, I believe this is automatically added to your bar bill; on American crewed vessels, it's not. If in doubt, look closely at your bar bill to determine if an auto 15% was added or not.

I was just on board the Star and a 15% "auto-gratuity" was added to bar bills. I don't believe you were allowed to delete it.

However, you could add an ADDITIONAL gratuity, which I often did. But this resulted in confusing entries on my onboard account statement and in at least two cases it appeared that the tip was omitted (and I didn't have time to look into this before leaving the ship). In the future I would leave any such "additional" tips in cash to avoid the billing confusion.

I once heard bar waiter at the pool tell a nearby passenger that the 15% auto-tip was for the bartender and the "additional tip" was for him. I think they may say that to encourage you to tip more.

Actually, the prices of the drinks and the 15% tip are more than enough to compensate everyone involved. Personally, I would not add more tip, but it is there if you want to.

TiA.

Always check your receipt. Our bar/lounge tabs on the Dawn, Jewel and Gem have always had the 15% added in as does the Spa.

I was just on board the Star and a 15% "auto-gratuity" was added to bar bills. I don't believe you were allowed to delete it.

However, you could add an ADDITIONAL gratuity, which I often did. But this resulted in confusing entries on my onboard account statement and in at least two cases it appeared that the tip was omitted (and I didn't have time to look into this before leaving the ship). In the future I would leave any such "additional" tips in cash to avoid the billing confusion.

Yes, it is confusing...to say the least.

The bar bill is rung-up immediately with only the 15% added on. If you then add an additional tip when you sign the receipt, the original bar bill which was debited to your account is now credited to your account and then the new debit (with your additional tip) is debited to your account.

Our first cruise, I was totally confused by the onboard account statement and also came home and studied it. It was all correct.

Additional tips in cash does work well. Also, I would suggest asking for a copy of your on-board account, at least, one day before disembarkation.

No lines at reception at that time and you can review your bill before the last morning:)

First of all, a 15% is added regardless - you have no choice. There is also a "additional tip" line listed below so for a first timer, one is used to filling in a tip as in a restaurant so one inadvertedly adds a tip so just a heads up that we just "X" through the additonal tip line unless I want to add more of a tip.

TiA.

It does have the gratuity on the tab.

Nita

I once heard bar waiter at the pool tell a nearby passenger that the 15% auto-tip was for the bartender and the "additional tip" was for him. I think they may say that to encourage you to tip more.

Actually, the prices of the drinks and the 15% tip are more than enough to compensate everyone involved. Personally, I would not add more tip, but it is there if you want to.

boy, it is a good thing I didn't hear the guy say that.

Nita

One time, at the private island, I ordered a sangria and expected to pay the posted price. I was given my drink and I drank some. Then I was given the check, and I saw that it was for twice as much as the posted price. I asked why, and the guy said, "Because I gave you a double." I then saw that there were two different-sized cups, and he gave me the bigger one. He had figured out that he could just give people doubles and get tips that were twice as big. I had no choice but to pay, but I didn't tip him above the 15% added on.

Another time, I ordered a drink in a bar, and the amount on the check was quite a bit more than what I thought the price should be. I was told that it was because the drink had been put into a souvenir glass. I said that I had never asked for a souvenir glass, I didn't even want one, if one had been offered to me I wouldn't have taken it, and they could keep their glass, just lower the price of the drink. The waitress didn't want to lower the price of the drink, because that would decrease her 15% guaranteed tip. I had to resort to getting other people to persuade her to lower the price to the posted price. And, of course, I still had to tip her 15% for her "excellent" service. I didn't add an extra tip.

Archived