Pantyhose with sandals

I know this is one of the divisive issues - most women hate them or love them. I live in Canada where it gets to -40 sometimes in the winter and my legs at that time of year are pasty white - so I am not averse to hose and do wear them.

However, normally in the summer with the warmer temps and a tan, I don't.

It just dawned on me that I might want to wear them on our upcoming cruise. My formal is a gold silk dress cocktail length dress and I'm wearing a champagne colored strappy sandal with it. I can see a very sheer hose with a touch of shimmer looking really, really nice with that dress - giving it a more sophisticated look, and keeping me a tad warmer than bare legs.

But here is the question of the century - and I know it's been discussed before, but I'll ask it anyway.

Is a sandaltoe foot pantyhose accpetable with strappy sandals or will you all be laughing at me all night? :eek:

Thanks for the advice.

To answer the OP's question, I truly don't think anyone will be laughing at you all night and yes, I think your sheer hose with a touch of shimmer would be very acceptable. On formal night, everyone is bustling around trying to get their pictures made and going to dinner and I just don't think anyone will be pointing and snickering at your legs.

I must admit that I am one of those who believe in panty hose when dressing up. To me, it just looks better. Unless your legs look like Vanna's, I don't think they should go bare regardless of the shoes you wear. JMHO. Travelgirl

I can't believe that no one has mentioned the spray on panty hose!

Sally Hansen makes this (I'm sure there may be other brands as well)

Basically, it's foundation for your legs.

It's fabulous stuff!!

You can get it at Rite-Aid, CVS, Walgreens...WalMart etc.

I never wear panty hose with open shoes. Personally, I think it looks very 'old lady' (and I'm NOT young ;) ) AND I live in Maine, so it's not that heat is an problem for me. I just think panty hose with sandal type shoes is wrong in a big way.

No matter how bad your legs look, (and mine are not pretty) you spray this stuff on, rub it in (I do, anyway) and within a minutes it dries, does NOT come off on your clothing...and your legs look perfect.

Try it. It's amazing and runs about $9 for a can and you probably get a good 8-10 applications out of it. It comes in 3 different shades.

Boston Gal did in post #45, but she was the only other one.

Lots of mention about color all the way around though.:)

Rep

LOL. yes she did. I skimmed through too quick and didn't see it.

I definitely agree that most shoes are more comfortable with socks or stockings of some sort - Hosiery prevents getting blisters from the shoes rubbing directly against the skin and getting that awful sweaty feel from contact with vinyl , leather, or other shoe material.

This is why I buy insole liners for just about all of my shoes. I usually get them from Summersoles.com, and they work wonderfully.

This is the argument that's constantly advanced by hose-haters - yet the same people wear many other things and undergo processes that are not "comfy" - ...

So the real issue is not comfort but personal preference for a particualr look and, for many, following the dictates of what "they" say is in fashion.

Pantyhose hater here, and my reason IS and always has been, COMFORT. Used to wear them as a kid of course, years ago, but hardly ever any more. I do agree with others that certain occasions/attire still will call for it, and on those occasions I will wear them, but it is rare. I hate tight waistbands and that is why I also wear only low-rise jeans.

Really interesting. I am in Connecticut and NO ONE wears hose, including those above 60. Tights in the winter with boots, but no hose.

How odd. I am in Virginia, and my sister lives in Delaware, and in both states we see hose everywhere. Probably 50% of the ladies at work wear them every day.

Of course there is a market - TONS of women wear pantyhose with sandals. Like the OP did - if you are indecisive, try them on...see how it looks. If you like it - wear 'em. If anyone laughs at you, I promise you that person is someone you really shouldn't be concerned about. :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

I think the only time they're useful is when they are support hose and worn to work in professions such as nursing. Oh, and speaking of nursing. When I graduated nursing school in 1988 I had to wear a hat to work. Just because I did that 20 years ago doesn't mean I do it now; same for hose.

I usually wear pantyhose when I dress up because I feel more polished and confident. Not on casual nights, just formals.

Usually I buy closed toe shoes or sling backs so the toenail polish showing through pantyhose isn't an issue. I'm prone to blisters on the backs of my heels and white legs with some marks that don't tan as well as my arms. I don't bake in the sun to tan (just the everyday outdoor stuff) and every self-tanner I've tried turns me orange.

I tried the sandals and bare legs at my SIL's wedding rehersal, got blisters and went back to nylons for the wedding day since my maid-of-honor dress was long and no one would see the nylons or our shoes that all had to match.:rolleyes:

For me, bare feet in a dress shoe -icky. Most legs look better in stockings and I don't think I ve seen a fake tan that passed for anything but a tan from a bottle.

Bare legs in a sundress look nice. bare legs in a formal dress looks like something was forgotten. But that's just my humble opinion.

For me, bare feet in a dress shoe -icky. Most legs look better in stockings and I don't think I ve seen a fake tan that passed for anything but a tan from a bottle.

Bare legs in a sundress look nice. bare legs in a formal dress looks like something was forgotten. But that's just my humble opinion. Also my DH thinks stockings are as sexy as hell.

In both hospitals I worked at in Miami if you didn't wear hose with a nurses uniform, or if you had a regular office job and wore a skirt/dress with no hose, you were sent home. Something to do with JAHCO regs.

The truth is, nobody has the final answer on hose. You do what you wear comfortable. I don't care what all the self professing fashionistas say..there are plenty of women in Florida that wear hose all year round (although the majority don't) and all the women in my Jamacian MIL's church wear hose on Sunday no matter how hot, and no matter what style the dress. Same true with some other west indian gal pals I have here.

Hose never was out, it just became more acceptable to not wear them, as Jane pointed out in a thread once. I've seen them worn in Brazil, Europe, Japan, and yes, even Carribean islands. I think this "rule" about not wearing them is something the Americans made up for convenience sake.

Some people should wear hose, especially if they have ugly legs, it can make them more attractive.

To each his own. Who the heck cares what others think?

I think the only time they're useful is when they are support hose and worn to work in professions such as nursing. Oh, and speaking of nursing. When I graduated nursing school in 1988 I had to wear a hat to work. Just because I did that 20 years ago doesn't mean I do it now; same for hose.

nobody is looking at your legs because they are so consumed with their own appearance they wouldn't notice if you are wearing pantyhose or not!

Wear whatever is most comfortable for you and what makes you feel good.

I always told my daughter to dress to make herself feel good because you cannot impress anyone unless you feel good about yourself, a little self confidence goes a long way!! ~B~

I've never heard of spray on hose. You can buy it at WM? Really? What section would it be in?

As far as hose or no hose I think it's totally up to you. If someone is sitting at their table making fun of what everyone else has on their toes. Then they have their own insecurity issues to deal with. Just dress for yourself.

I have slides to wear so I bought some of these:

http://www.onehanesplace.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ProductDisplay?prnbr=112677&cgnbr=50B1000000

The have little grippies and a bit of a cushioned bottom so they keep your feet from sliding or getting too sweaty. Also makes your shoes a little more comfortable if you are going to be standing a lot.

Archived