Pantyhose with sandals

I think the toeless hose is a good thing. I've seen those at JC Penny and other dept stores.

The rule of thumb is - not my rule, but 'what not to wear tv show'

"if you expose your toes, do not wear hose"

but really, as long as you are comfortable, who cares? Most of those "fashion rules" (ie no white after labor) are so passe and not conducive to our current society. (see other threads about how people are dressing on formal night, anything goes....)

I agree with wearing pantyhose/stockings....they "finish" the look, in my opinion, especially with a dressier outfit. I see women wearing a suit or dressy dress and bare legs, and it just looks like they forgot something!

And don't get me started on the "slip" issue......sheer dresses with no slip?? Ewwww...

I agree with wearing pantyhose/stockings....they "finish" the look, in my opinion, especially with a dressier outfit. I see women wearing a suit or dressy dress and bare legs, and it just looks like they forgot something!

And don't get me started on the "slip" issue......sheer dresses with no slip?? Ewwww...

LOL...yep.

Let's just all go with no hose, no slip, and what's next....NO BRA! That will be the new fashion rage. The fashion industry will call bras passe'. We'll be a bunch of women with saggy boobs, ugly legs, and see-through dresses....YUM!! Oh, well, at least I can still wear my pants slung low with my thong cinched up to my chin.:D

Just say "no" to pantyhose and open toe shoes. It is just wrong. Back in the day it worked, but not in 2008. My mom and I have this discussion all the time. It is just where fashion is at this moment. It may change in the future, but for now, stay away from pairing hose and open toes!

I hate hose, but will wear them if the dress looks better with them. I live in semi-opaque tights in the winter. I think hose with sandals look funny, so I don't wear them. But that's just me.

It's purely a matter of your own comfort zone. You wear what you think looks and feels better for YOU. I doubt many people will spend the evening staring at your feet. If they do, they need to get some new hobbies. :D

Personally, I never wear a sheer dress without a half slip and camisole. (Full slips don't fit me right as I am short waisted and they bunch up.) As for VPLs, a slip might solve the problem. If not, looks like a job for Spanx! I haven't tried the cut-off pantyhose trick. I'd try it, but I don't own any pantyhose anymore. :p

For foot slippage when wearing heels, I love these: http://www.shoesonashoestring.com/ProductPage.aspx?Style=GELBOFCUSH.D0.SOF&colorcode=ACCESSORY&dept=HANDBAGS/ACCESSORIES&brand=SOFSOLE/IMPLUS&isFromCart=False&iscoupon=false&couponprice=0.00

There's a new solution on the market. It's a little edgy but you get the desired results. I posted this on the Undies and white capri pants... thread and got quite a bit of feedback. Mine are posts #s 7 and 20.

Repsol

Honestly, at this point, just go commando!

Back to the OP . . . no hose with open toes . . . almost as bad as socks with sandles. If you like a little shimmer, try some lotion or the self-tanner.

Just depends. My son and DIL had a very formal wedding. My shoes as well as the bridesmaids' shoes were beaded high heeled sandles. The MOB said all females in the wedding party were to wear hosiery with their gowns. I tend to agree on that one. (On a little aside note she also chose the color of nail polish everyone was to wear - the exact number had to be purchased). :D

At our hospital if women don't wear hose they get sent home. Has something to do with JACHO standards.

I have traveled throughout the world in many different places, seems to me the USA is the only country that made up the rule about not wearing hose with sandles.

My MIL is from Jamaica, but lives here in Miami. When we went to church one weekend and stayed for a picnic EVERY woman in the church wore some form of hose, stockings, socks, tights..every pattern and texture under the sun, even the little girls, teens..all wearing them with sandles of all sorts. Not a bare leg in the house except for this gringa (me). It was over 80 degrees outside and we had the picnic..hose and all.

I actually asked her the other day if this "norm" would be found at her church in Jamaica..and she said "Yes, because we feel like we are underdressed if we don't wear hose". So I guess that refutes the USA's fashionista's rule that women in the carribean don't ever wear hose.

To the OP..wear what makes YOU feel beautiful and lovely, and ignore all the opinions! :)

Although I used to wear them all the time...I can't wear heels anymore.

So when I want to wear dress slacks or a less casual dress,I have to wear open shoes of the dressy sandle type that has a heel.

I wear sheer panyhose or knee highs with above mentioned items so I can wear heels of a sort & give a finished look to my appearance.

My toes always have a french manicure that looks nice with the casual look.. no hose & low or flat sandals but also shows well with the sheer hose.

IMO business,dressy or formal all deserve more than bare feet. I wouldn't want to see my hubby in bare feet, sandals & a suit or tux, no matter how nice his feet looked...A time & a place for everything....

PS..I have seen women sent home from work for their sandals & bare toes at the workplace

el tigre

Just depends. My son and DIL had a very formal wedding. My shoes as well as the bridesmaids' shoes were beaded high heeled sandles. The MOB said all females in the wedding party were to wear hosiery with their gowns. I tend to agree on that one. (On a little aside note she also chose the color of nail polish everyone was to wear - the exact number had to be purchased). :D

Congratulations on your son's nuptuals:) .....sounds as if it was

VERY formal.....hope you have a nice new daughter;) ....

Is the MOB quite anal about everything? Or this was due to the

special ocassion?

Congratulations on your son's nuptuals:) .....sounds as if it was

VERY formal.....hope you have a nice new daughter;) ....

Is the MOB quite anal about everything? Or this was due to the

special ocassion?

Thank you. It's been three years. Mostly the MOB has just been that way about the wedding. She is really a very nice, sweet person. In a way I can see that she didn't want some bridesmaids with flaming red polish, some with pink, some with polished nails and others with unpolished nails. It was just the idea that it had to be a specific brand and exact number and all toes and nails had to be polished that had all of us laughing. I did agree with her about the hosiery. The wedding was formal. All the gowns were formal. I think bare feet would have looked out of place. And, we do really like our DIL.:)

Thank you. It's been three years. Mostly the MOB has just been that way about the wedding. She is really a very nice, sweet person. In a way I can see that she didn't want some bridesmaids with flaming red polish, some with pink, some with polished nails and others with unpolished nails. It was just the idea that it had to be a specific brand and exact number and all toes and nails had to be polished that had all of us laughing. I did agree with her about the hosiery. The wedding was formal. All the gowns were formal. I think bare feet would have looked out of place. And, we do really like our DIL.:)

Glad it all worked out nicely:) and I can understand that as well.

But I got a giggle out of the exact number too LOL

I have to tell you when my oldest sis got married for the 1st time

(she has been there twice). Anyway, when she got married

the first time it was 1966:eek: (I was 8 at the time) and I was the flower

girl. Her bridesmaids all wore pumps and yes I wore a pair of

white patent shoes with the little white socks that had lace around

them...LOL.....

I had a blue dress on so I guess blue has been my color

my entire life:D....LOL

I live in Queensland Australia and absolutely no one wears pantyhose anywhere in my town, not even the old ladies to church. Thank you for this thread as I am just about to embark on my first cruise and have strappy sandals for formal nights. I did think I would not wear hose but had wondered if it would look funny on an Alaskan cruise but thanks to this thread I KNOW it won't look funny. I have never seen anyone in the last 10 years wear pantyhose with sandals.

However, if the OP is more comfy in them, well why should anyone else care? This is 2008 and we are all individuals - it's not 1958 where I had to wear hat and gloves to church and to a shopping day out in Sydney (the big city):D

Ahh, weddings always bring special memories. BTW I enjoyed your pictures.

Thank you:) It is probably the only time I enjoy photos;)

Here's my 2 cents, I will only wear hose with a close toe pump (winter & fall) When it comes to sandals in the summer, flat or 4 inch heels (yes I still wear them I'm over 50) I go bare leg. I say self tan and a great pedicure is where it's at. It's too hot in the south to deal with hose. Nothing is more ugly than a gal in black strappy evening shoes and black hose. Take a look at InStyle magazine or any other fashion book. No hose. If you must wear hose close toe shoe.

I go with sheer or with the toeless panty hose because it is comfy and finishes the look. Tried it without once and felt I looked unfinished (although going commando was rather liberating) because the chicken-skin look of my ankles and feet was a jarring note with my dress. Gak! Some will love it, some will disagree REGARDLESS of what you decide, so wear what makes you feel good and gives you confidence when you swan into the room. Have a wonderful cruise!

I know this is one of the divisive issues - most women hate them or love them. I live in Canada where it gets to -40 sometimes in the winter and my legs at that time of year are pasty white - so I am not averse to hose and do wear them.

However, normally in the summer with the warmer temps and a tan, I don't.

It just dawned on me that I might want to wear them on our upcoming cruise. My formal is a gold silk dress cocktail length dress and I'm wearing a champagne colored strappy sandal with it. I can see a very sheer hose with a touch of shimmer looking really, really nice with that dress - giving it a more sophisticated look, and keeping me a tad warmer than bare legs.

But here is the question of the century - and I know it's been discussed before, but I'll ask it anyway.

Is a sandaltoe foot pantyhose accpetable with strappy sandals or will you all be laughing at me all night? :eek:

Thanks for the advice.

Ask away...I am perfectly aware that hose are passe, but I have very sensitive, pale skin and if shaving doesn't go "quite right" I end up with irritated legs where the irritation is very obvious. For me, a very sheer pantyhose with sandal toes is absolutely necessary. You have to decide on your own depending upon your own circumstances...it boils down to what makes you feel the most sexy and the most confident.

I wonder if this is a regional thing? I live in the oc area of s. calif. and I don't know anyone under the age of 60 who still wears hose. And yet I see a lot of people on this site who still wear them. I guess it's what you are comfortable with, but with an open toe I'd say no, they just look tacky. I'd love to see a survey comparing where people live to whether they find hose still acceptable.

I wonder if this is a regional thing? I live in the oc area of s. calif. and I don't know anyone under the age of 60 who still wears hose. And yet I see a lot of people on this site who still wear them. I guess it's what you are comfortable with, but with an open toe I'd say no, they just look tacky. I'd love to see a survey comparing where people live to whether they find hose still acceptable.

Really interesting. I am in Connecticut and NO ONE wears hose, including those above 60. Tights in the winter with boots, but no hose. We slap on some "fake and bake" artificial tan (unless you are a sun worshiper) and go. I can't even fathom wearing hose now. So uncomfortable.

That said...to each his own. If you are more comfy in hose, then by all means, wear them.

Some people look WAY better in hose than showing their legs, even if they are tanned.

I agree. I see many women where we live who don't wear hose with dresses and their legs and feet do not look good. A very sheer hose, either with the toe cut out or a very sheer toe, make many women's legs look better. Trend or no trend it's better to wear what looks best on your body. This applies to not only hose but clothing as well :rolleyes: .

On our last cruise, I wore sheer dark hose with my knee length cocktail dress and slingbacks (1st formal night). On the 2nd, I wore a tea length skirt with top and strappy sandals, no hose. I think because the skirt was longer, I felt OK with not wearing hose. The type of sandals I wore, hose just was not appropriate. I am fair, but I don't worry about how white my legs look.

I like hose...normally wear them only in the winter though. My personal rule is I only wear hose with CLOSED toe shoes. They look funny with sandals (to me, at least). If you're really stuck on wearing hose and that makes you feel comfortable, why don't you look for a pair of shoes that are closed toe? Or maybe just a peep-toe, so its not as obvious that you're wearing hose? Just a thought ;)

IMO, toes covered in hose look odd. Toe-less hose look even weirder, because it's hose..hose..hose..skin!

Slap some moisturizer on those legs and go without!

Hey sheep...we're sailing together!

I agree... As fair as I am, Ineed to use a liquid bronzer and no hose. It takes all summer for me to tan my legs. In the winter, for holidays and weddings, I have a great pair of peep-toe shoes. The "peep" is small enough, so I can wear hose. Way too cold not to!

If you have a DSW shoe store, they have many options for formal night!

Archived