Westerdam verandah cabin recommendation

puddytat

Will be traveling 2009 with a 20 month old. I am extremely sensitive to noise. Strange isn't it. But Baby happen to be super sleeper.

First time with HAL, roundtrip Alaska. Which side, Front or After or Middle, which deck. What to avoid.

Thanks bunch.

I've cruised twice on Westerdam and numerous other times on her sister Vistas and I've never, ever experienced "noise" in my cabin. You didn't say what category you'll be in.. but as far as location on the ship - that's a personal preference. Some people snap up the aft cabins and think they are fab, and I personally would never want to be way back there.. others like midships because they say it's more stable... some like near the elevators, some like far, some like high decks, some like low.... I'm being really really helpful here, right? :o:)

You will have a fabulous time in Alaska!

Oh it is helpful to hear that noise is not an issue most everywhere.

Don't know much about HAL's cabin layout. As far as Verandah goes, which category is the bang for the bucks. Heard talks about VD, are they all having slightly larger verandah, or just a few cabin. I am leaning towards midship since I heard Seattle departure will be bumpy

My DH is a light sleeper. We always look at the ship's deck diagram. If you are under the Lido deck, you may hear noise from the chairs up above being moved for cleaning in the am or at bed time when the late evening activities are going on up on the Lido. We look very closely at what is above our room or outside it. We have learned that the hard way to do that.

I would concur that you should probably avoid the Navigation deck as it is right under the Lido restaurant and pool area. We have stayed on this deck before on a Vista ship and heard noise from above. Wasn't enough to bother me, but it was noticeable at times. I would also avoid cabins right next to the elevators and stairwells.

I think the SY/SS cabins offer the best bang for the buck. Larger than the regular cabins, but not nearly as pricey as the full suites. Larger balconies as well. The SS cabins are all on Navigation so might want to consider SY if you are worried about noise from above.

As far as location goes, I prefer to be just forward or just aft of the midship elevators (but not right next to them).

Heard talks about VD, are they all having slightly larger verandah, or just a few cabin. I am leaning towards midship since I heard Seattle departure will be bumpy

Some cabins in categories lower than VD - like the midships VF's and VE's on Verandah deck - have shallow balconies. All of the VD's have deeper balconies, but none are at the centre of the ship.

IMO C-Cruise's recommendations are astute if your budget will stretch to an SY.

Thanks everybody. Sounds like VD is the choice this time for the budget. Got to try the SY next time. Looked at the deck plan, most the available VD that accomodate three plus( TA confirmed with HAL that infant does count as a three with reduced fare) are on the starboard side. Should this be a problem. Man, these things go fast, 13 months away.

We've had rooms on decks 4 and 5 and enjoyed them all. We stayed in VD 4169 (pretty far aft), VD 4133 (very close to mid-ship), and 5032 (close to front). We do not have a problem with seasickness, so the location was really not important. In each case, our rooms were perfectly quiet, even with 4133 which was fairly close to elevators. I, too, am a very light sleeper, but there is nothing like a gently rocking ship to put me right out!

Thanks everybody. Sounds like VD is the choice this time for the budget. Got to try the SY next time. Looked at the deck plan, most the available VD that accomodate three plus( TA confirmed with HAL that infant does count as a three with reduced fare) are on the starboard side. Should this be a problem. Man, these things go fast, 13 months away.

The infant fare is one of the main reasons we have been cruised only on HAL since our daughter was born. Many of the other lines charge a full 3rd person fare which can be quite a bit more depending on the room category. The one annoying thing is that they won't let you book a guarantee category room with an infant because they are considered a 3rd person in that room and not all rooms accommodate a 3rd person. Kind of annoying in that the infant won't be using a bed anyways, but I can understand why they have to stick to that.

We had a VA on our first cruise with our daughter and it was a bit cramped with the stroller/pack 'n play etc. We actually put the pack 'n play up on the sofa during the day and had them take a chair out of the room to get more space. Could have folded up the crib entirely, but we used it for naps during the day so it ended up being easier to just leave it on the couch.

NCL only charges tax on infant under 2. But when it comes to Alaska, I really was choosing between HAL and Princess. Princess's RT doesn't go to Glacier Bay, so it was easy. Then it came down to three ships: Westerdam, Zaandam and Staterdam, same iternary. Westerdam is the newer Vista class and I wanted to try. I do heard some traveler prefer HAL's older ships though.

It is definately worth it to pay the minimal infant fare on HAL than to sail on NCL. The infant fare on the 10 day Noordam that we are in the process of booking is only $180 plus taxes in an SS cabin.

Westerdam is in great shape, we were just on her in March. Worked out really well with our (at the time) 1 yr old. If you book a VD try and get 4164/4166. They have larger (wider) balconies than the rest of the VD rooms.

• 4 weeks later...

I learned the secret about those 4164/4166 room and they were actually available when I was booking. Unfortunately, they don't accomodate 3. TA went on phone with HAL, and they confirmed that even just with an infant we have to occupy a room designed for 3. Sigh

Archived