Help for Alzheimers patients.

tanner2

Does NCL have a program to help with Alzheimers patient- ie bracelets or necklaces with GPS onboard?

First, the GPS thing wouldn’t work, even if offered. The ship is moving somewhere in the 20 MPH range. While the interaction of the computers is fast, the ship is “moving”, any “location” would only get you within 100-200 feet. Second GPS has to have a clear shot to the sky to work. Several layers of steel decking would interfere. Third, GPS assumes you are on the ground. If it were to work inside a cruise ship, you could not know which of the 14 or so decks to even start the search.

I have been flamed for the following opinion, but please read the entire thought before responding. Taking someone on a cruise or going yourself, knowing of a mental or emotional condition is foolish. You are on a ship; there is no fire department or police officer looking after you. As it happens, the reverse is true. For a fact, ship’s crew (Princess) have direct orders not to touch any passenger, no matter how distressed, as long as they are conscious. In other words, you would have to be with your traveling companion 24/7 the entire cruise to be safe. On more than one occasion we have seen older pax wandering around different ships, and no, it is not my responsibility to step in. These are not “emergency’ situations and the “Good Samaritan laws” do not apply. No matter your opinion, my family’s security comes before the safety of a stranger.

I think I'd have to agree. In today's litigious society, who knows what the family of the older person would say if their family member got injured and you happened to be helping out? I assume when I see people out and about that they are there of their own accord.

My grandmother passed away a few years ago after living with dementia for many years. I had a similar situation as the poster with the "doll" - my sister was visiting from Florida, and the two of us went to visit Grandma and she asked who my "little friend" was.

The OP (and anyone else in similar situations) needs to ask themselves - "Who am I taking this cruise for?" Are they taking this vacation for the person with the disease, or are they taking the cruise for themselves to make themselves feel better and "Make memories"? Do you really want to have the memories of your family member getting lost, or injured, or worse? Or, can you just spend more time with your family member in a loving and familiar environment? Helping out around the house, running errands, or even just watching TV with their relative may mean more to them than you realize.

Don't put yourself and your "needs" for memories first - think about the other person involved and how THEY will be most affected.

Whatever the OP decides, I wish them the best.

(I didn't mean for this to be a rant at anyone here - going through some very hairy family stuff with elderly grandparents and selfish/absentee family members right now....)

Kathryn

Actually it is my mother who has early alzheimers. Tanner2 was signed in so I used her ID to post the question.

I appreciate all the stories and advice.

Yes, I have traveled with mother recently. Like I said, she is not that bad yet but I was just wondering if there was any programs available. As a matter of fact, she wants to go dogsledding in Juno. She is not impaired in any other way.

My Dad will be in the room with her and I have a connecting door with their room. I also have two other couples going with us, so we'll have safty in numbers of eyes watching out for her.

I do believe we'll make use of the armband idea. Some of the others have agreed to let's all wear one so she won't feel like we don't trust her.

If there's even the slightest possibility that a senior will wander and get lost, why would you leave them alone?

I hope the armband you put on your children is in a "code" that they only understand. Maybe I'm not as trusting, but I wouldn't want anyone else to know their room number. If they forgot it, they would need to go to the front desk to have me paged. Would seem a whole lot safer.

Another instance of people not reading the post closely. I DON'T DO THIS WITH MY CHILDREN! I was only making a suggestion for people traveling with memory impared adults. It would not be any different that the armbands that can be ordered for Alzheimer's patients that list their names and contact information.

Actually it is my mother who has early alzheimers. Tanner2 was signed in so I used her ID to post the question.

I appreciate all the stories and advice.

Yes, I have traveled with mother recently. Like I said, she is not that bad yet but I was just wondering if there was any programs available. As a matter of fact, she wants to go dogsledding in Juno. She is not impaired in any other way.

My Dad will be in the room with her and I have a connecting door with their room. I also have two other couples going with us, so we'll have safty in numbers of eyes watching out for her.

I do believe we'll make use of the armband idea. Some of the others have agreed to let's all wear one so she won't feel like we don't trust her.

I hope you all have a wonderful trip and all goes well.

Do post and let us know how you got on.

Archived