Barcelona Tour Guide asking for deposit for tours

I am arranging private tours for my family group of 14 people in Barcelona with Jose Soler. He is asking for a deposit of 200 Euros per tour x 4 days of tours requested = 800 Euros. For those who have taken tours with him, is this the norm?

Last year, I have arranged a 4-day Classical Greece mini-bus tour for my family group, a 2-day walking tours of Rome and in 2005, a 2-1/2 days private coach tours in Copanhagen and have yet to be asked for a deposit. I have also used RomeCabs with no advanced deposit required.

For those who have arranged tours with Jose Soler, I would like to know if you have paid deposits in advance for your private tours with him.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

Yes we did and also was the first time.We also had private tours in Italy, no deposit, only a credit card number. But I can tell you he is very professional and worth the money.You can be sure you are going to get a good service.

Thanks for your input.

I didn't get a chance to ask about his cancellation policy. Do you know? Our cruise is not until mid-Oct 08 and although I do not anticipate cancelling our cruise as airfares have been paid, circumstances may dictate otherwise.

Alinehu, Jose replied back and you are right, I lose the 200 Euros per tour deposit (total of 800 Euros) if for some reason, our group cancel our tours with him. I better check the terms of the travel insurance that we will eventually purchase.

I booked with Marta in Barcelona, she was reccomended on these boards

too. She also required a deposit, as did my tour guide in Paris, as did my

tour guide in Nice. RomeinLimo did not but I can understand why most

require one. Thats why I find these boards so helpful. I am very

hesitant to book anyone who has not be reccomended here!

I went ahead and paid in full so as not to have to carry around so many

Euros. Its a risk that way also but hopefully this close to departure

(5 weeks) its not too much of a risk.

We paid a 25% deposit for our 3-1/2 days tours in Kusadasi/Istanbul last year but there is a provison in our tour contract that if for some reason, the cruise ship did not dock at the terminal, the deposit will be credited to my credit card. I thought that was an excellent "provision".

In Santorini, we joined another group's tour and the tour co also included that same "provision" which turned out to be in our favour because our cruise ship did not dock due to choppy water so the group of 40+ passengers did not lose out except for changes in exchange rates.

Thanks for your input wintermom regarding deposits on tours. What is your experience with Martha in Barcelona?

I have not used her yet but I have two tours scheduled with her. One

to see the city and famous sites and the next day to do a gourmet and

shopping trip which I know my daughter will love. Marta was reccomended on this site and she has been great about answering all my questions. I am really looking forward to meeting her. I paid her through

paypall. I also want to see Montserrat but a private tour for just the

three of us on an all day out of town trip was just getting too expensive.

wintermom,

I have been reading both this and the tripadvisor forums for the last few weeks and found another recommended Barcelona tour company which provides a full day tour of Monserrat and the Cavas Trail at 59 Euros pp. They do different day-tours each day and cater to smaller parties. I think you reserve your spots by paying online. Good testmonials from past customers in tripadvisor.

I don't think I can give you the link here so if interested, please email me at vnyeung@gmail.com and I'll give you their website so that you can check it out yourself. They have a sister company that does tours in Scotland.

Ihave also booked a tour with Jose Stoler and I did have to give a 100E deposit for a 1/2 day tour for 5 of us. I also was a little hesitant, but after reading these boards with many recommendations I did send the deposit in. Also it is non refundable, which I was aware of when I booked him. Again I am going by the recommendations from this board, and I have never been steered wrong so far!

We booked with Jose last summer-paid in advance. We had tried to get him on the advice of others, and he was booked at the time we needed him, but we waitlisted and got him at the end. He's great, and we enjoyed the tour pre-cruise out of Barcelona. Jose actually came to the US and got his masters degree at Bentley in Massachusetts, married a girl from Mass. He's very bright, and we got a little extra for our money, I thought. He uses a driver, so he can get out with you and take you here and there while the vehicle waits for you or comes to get you. We were extremely happy with our tour.

I don't think I can give you the link here so if interested, please email me at vnyeung@gmail.com and I'll give you their website so that you can check it out yourself.

Cruise Critic appreciates its members posting recommendations for tour operators/guides/companies when another member requests the information, so please feel free to post the link here. Perhaps more members will be interested in learning about the company.

Karen

HostKaren@CruiseCritic.com

Cruise Critic appreciates its members posting recommendations for tour operators/guides/companies when another member requests the information, so please feel free to post the link here. Perhaps more members will be interested in learning about the company.

Karen

HostKaren@CruiseCritic.com

Here is the website of Rabbies. I stumbled on this website while checking postings at tripadvisor.com.

http://www.rabbies.eu.com/

I haven't used this company personally so I can't give you any personal testimonial but if I have a smaller group (i.e. 2 to 6 pax) vs 14 pax, I would certainly give it a try because the price is reasonable on a per person basis and the 4 full-day itineraries that they offer look really interesting.

The 4 tours offered are -

Monserrat and Cavas Trail

Girone and Costa Brava Trail

Tarragona and Stidges

The Pyreneese Trail

and wow, I just checked the website and they recently added:

Monserrat, Gaudi and Modernism

The Dali Route

All are full-day tours and they give you enough free time on your own at each places. Prices (excluding lunch and admission) range from 59 Euros pp to to about 79 Euros pp.

For those who plan to use this company in the next couple of months, we would appreciate your feedback.

Archived