Dillard's wouldn't honor the extra 30% off on my gown

I had gone into Dillard's last week and found a gorgeous gown that I absolutely had to have. I tried on the smallest size they had (4) but it was too big....and too long! I was so disappointed because I REALLY wanted it....so I asked if, by chance that it came in a size 2 and they could get it for me. The sales lady looked it up on the computer and they did have a 2. YAY!! So I ordered it.

Well, a few days after I order it, it goes on sale 30% off. I haven't even gotten the dress yet. So I went back in yesterday and asked if they would credit my credit card for the 30% and they refused. I swear, if it wouldn't be that I love the dress so much, I would return it as soon as it comes in.

If I were a crooked person, I would bring someone with me when I return it, then have them go back right behind me and repurchase for the 30% off. LOL. But it's not worth it....is it? :rolleyes: :p

If I were a crooked person, I would bring someone with me when I return it, then have them go back right behind me and repurchase for the 30% off. LOL. But it's not worth it....is it? :rolleyes: :p

That has nothing to do with your honesty, just theirs. If it comes in during the sale I would tell the sales person right then to credit as a return and write it back up as a sale. By the way, don't use the same sales person you bought from to do this. The sales people have a quota at Dillards and that quota determines what they make. The first person has already gotten your sale and will not loose it even if you return it. Another sales person will love returning the first one and sell you what amounts to them as a new sale.

I love Dillards, but I have learned to NEVER buy anything there unless it's on sale, because they have one literally every other week and the savings are unreal. Like you said, they will never credit the difference, but you can return it, and repurchase it.

I love Dillards, but I have learned to NEVER buy anything there unless it's on sale, because they have one literally every other week and the savings are unreal. Like you said, they will never credit the difference, but you can return it, and repurchase it.

I agree about their sales. I found a semi formal 2 pc. marked down to $20. I questioned the sales clerk as I didn't think this was correct. It was and she made my day.

:)

I would have absolutely NO compunction over returning and repurchasing. I have, in fact, done it several times. I think the stores should have enough loyalty to the customer to offer to do this anyway. Many stores, such as SteinMart and Kohls, do this as a routine courtesy. 30% is certainly worth it, to me at least. :cool:

And if the sales clerk won't give you the 30% off, very nicely ask for the dept. manager. They do not want to lose a sale!

Wow..the more I think about it, the more I want to return to Dillard's and try again for the 30% off...lol. Actually I was surprised that they didn't want to give it to me. Usually the higher end dept. stores are very good about such things. And you're right....come to think of it, it was the same woman who sold me the dress that was there when I went back yesterday to try and get the discount.

This is my thinking. My daughter is a size 0 and so has a HARD time finding clothes to wear. I "lucked out" and found her a great teal green satin spaghetti strapped gown in a size 2 the end of summer at Belk. This was a $200 plus gown marked down to $10!

Now the bad part-it cost my daughter $85 in alternations. Now, it was still a good deal because the gown had been over $200. (and she looked very pretty in it on our last cruise!-beautiful color with her red hair!)

You could have bought the size 4 at 30% off and had it altered. It would have probally cost more then the 30% savings is my guess.

They did you a service of getting a dress from another store. That is worth something. After all, your time to drive to another store and especially if it was a good ways away-think of what it would have cost you in gas.

I say just pay the 30% and be glad you have a gown that fits.

If I were you, I would go back to the store and ask nicely for the manager and explain. Most stores will honor a sale price if it does go on sale within 30 days.

If they don't I would take it back and then turn around and repurchase it. There is nothing wrong with doing this what so ever.

When you go in again, if you see the same clerk, just politely ask for the manager. Having worked in retail more years than I care to remember (and it wasn't that many but seems like such more), I can tell you that a majority (and I'm not saying all) of sales clerks do the bare minimum necessary, even in nicer department stores. I will never hurt to ask and explain your situation. I've never been told no by a manager if my request was reasonable.

This is my thinking. My daughter is a size 0 and so has a HARD time finding clothes to wear. I "lucked out" and found her a great teal green satin spaghetti strapped gown in a size 2 the end of summer at Belk. This was a $200 plus gown marked down to $10!

Now the bad part-it cost my daughter $85 in alternations. Now, it was still a good deal because the gown had been over $200. (and she looked very pretty in it on our last cruise!-beautiful color with her red hair!)

You could have bought the size 4 at 30% off and had it altered. It would have probally cost more then the 30% savings is my guess.

They did you a service of getting a dress from another store. That is worth something. After all, your time to drive to another store and especially if it was a good ways away-think of what it would have cost you in gas.

I had thought about buying the size 4 and just having it altered, but it was $200 and it has sequins and beads on it...alterations would have cost a fortune, if they can even alter a dress with beading and sequins. I wouldn't want to be the one to do it....lol.

I tried calling Dillard's today and I asked for the manager...they just kept putting me on hold. I give up...I'll keep the dress I ordered. It really is a beautiful gown and I'll be excited to wear it. :)

P.S...I haven't even received the size 2 yet. I don't even know how it will fit!

When you go in again, if you see the same clerk, just politely ask for the manager. Having worked in retail more years than I care to remember (and it wasn't that many but seems like such more), I can tell you that a majority (and I'm not saying all) of sales clerks do the bare minimum necessary, even in nicer department stores. I will never hurt to ask and explain your situation. I've never been told no by a manager if my request was reasonable.

Thanks.

After being put on hold for much too long when I called Dillard's today, I guess it will be less of a hassle to just keep the dress and eat the 30%. :p It's just the principle of it, ya know?:rolleyes:

The op has really got me thinking. The other day I went in to Dillards, I was looking at the purses, Dooney. The "Rope" style in orange was marked down 25%, nice deal. Well I saw a sign that said, reduced purses take another 30% off, I was all about that purse. I asked if they had another style in the orange, the clerk said yes at another store, but the manager wouldn't allow the extra 30% off. I think that is crazy!! With the economy this bad, why not. I still got a new purse and wallet at a great price, just a different style. Customer service just isn't what it once was.:confused:

I agree with you.

Also, had the gown been 30% off when the OP went to buy it originally, they may not have been willing to order it from another store without a surcharge for the work & cost of shipping with sending it from one store to another.

Many stores will not transfer merchandise from one store to another if it's on sale and will only do it for full priced merchandise. The costs of shipping as well as the costs spent on employee paperwork, packing, sending and receiving comes right out of the profit.

The op has really got me thinking. The other day I went in to Dillards, I was looking at the purses, Dooney. The "Rope" style in orange was marked down 25%, nice deal. Well I saw a sign that said, reduced purses take another 30% off, I was all about that purse. I asked if they had another style in the orange, the clerk said yes at another store, but the manager wouldn't allow the extra 30% off. I think that is crazy!! With the economy this bad, why not. I still got a new purse and wallet at a great price, just a different style. Customer service just isn't what it once was.:confused:

I love a markdown as well as anyone. But I have to agree with the store here. AT 25% off and then an additional 30% off, it gets to a point where a store has to say "no", to eating an even bigger loss due to the costs of the shipping, and labor involved.

Maybe you could have called the other store and used the discount coupon by having it shipped to you and paying the shipping costs?

The reason they could not give you the 30% off could be that it was not on sale at the other store. I have been in two locations of the same store in a day and something that was on sale at one was not on sale at the other. It sounds like you have decided not to take it back ~ hopefully it fits you well and you enjoy it.

The reason they could not give you the 30% off could be that it was not on sale at the other store. I have been in two locations of the same store in a day and something that was on sale at one was not on sale at the other. It sounds like you have decided not to take it back ~ hopefully it fits you well and you enjoy it.

Yes, I've decided to keep it. My temper tantrum is over...LOL. :D I love it too much to return it just to show them. But as I said before, I haven't gotten it yet. It may not even fit the way I want it to.

And you're right. I had heard that some Dillard's had 40% off of the lowest price. My Dillard's only had 30%. It's ok, I guess....on our last cruise, I bought a gown at Macy's that was 50% off. I had seen it in the store, didn't buy it...returned the following week to buy it because I couldn't stop thinking about it and I was pleasantly surprised by a 50% off price tag! So, I guess you can't win 'em all. ;)

I had thought about buying the size 4 and just having it altered, but it was $200 and it has sequins and beads on it...alterations would have cost a fortune, if they can even alter a dress with beading and sequins. I wouldn't want to be the one to do it....lol.

I tried calling Dillard's today and I asked for the manager...they just kept putting me on hold. I give up...I'll keep the dress I ordered. It really is a beautiful gown and I'll be excited to wear it. :)

P.S...I haven't even received the size 2 yet. I don't even know how it will fit!

So you agree, the 30% savings would have been ate up and then some in alterations.

If you speak to the manager, that may help, often the clerks haven't worked long enough to know company policy, retail doesn't pay well and so has a high turnover in employees, epecially now with everything costing so much, people have to look for something that pays better. Gone are the days when you saw the same little old lady sales clerk working for a store for 40 years.

But if you learn their policy does not apply becasue this was shipped from another store, just remember although you did not save 30% you saved the cost of alterations.

I would call on the phone, ask for the manager and then ask them. That would save you a trip possibly.

If you talk to the manager and (s)he doesn't want to give you the extra 30 percent off, ask if they're willing to split to the difference and give you 15 percent off. Might work.

Well, the last day for the sale was Saturday, so I think I'll just take it as a loss this time. I believe giving me the 30% off was the right thing to do, especially as much shopping ad I do there and how much I spend there! It's the first place I go when I need something special. All of my gowns except one are from Dillard's. And the only one that wasn't from there is the only one that I got on sale...from Macy's. I have 5 gowns that I bought from Dillard's and paid full price. :rolleyes:

A note about Dillards return policy. This may have changed since I had this experience with Dillards...several years ago. I returned something and was going to rebuy it on the spot but I was not allowed. They took the returned items in the back for a minimum of one week then put back out on the floor. Because of this policy I stopped shopping at Dillards and shopped at Foleys instead. Since Foleys no longer exists i have started shopping at Dillards again, but sparingly. Like I said, their policy might have changed since this happened to me.

I checked Dillard's sale policy on their webpage and you are correct; they will not reprice. Also, each store may have different sales, so if your dress is coming from another store, it may have a different price, so no extra 30% off.

Totally different from the last dress I purchased online at Nordstroms. Before it shipped, the price went down and I called and got a refund for the difference. Then, the day it arrived, price went down again and I got that refund. The customer service rep. said most people don't ever bother to call, and they would rather people did that, then come back to the store, return and rebuy.

A note about Dillards return policy. This may have changed since I had this experience with Dillards...several years ago. I returned something and was going to rebuy it on the spot but I was not allowed. They took the returned items in the back for a minimum of one week then put back out on the floor. Because of this policy I stopped shopping at Dillards and shopped at Foleys instead. Since Foleys no longer exists i have started shopping at Dillards again, but sparingly. Like I said, their policy might have changed since this happened to me.

I also quit shopping at Dillards because of a bad experience. I had bought a skirt-paid FULL price. Couple of weeks later decided to return it. I had never worn it and the tags were still attached. I had the receipt. In the time since I had bought it, the skirt had went on sale. They said they could only refund me the 'sale' price. I was shocked. I paid full price for the thing and couldn't care less what they were currently selling it for. I decided to keep the skirt because otherwise it would have been me giving them free money. Bad, bad policy.

6rugrats...I'm going to shop at Nordstrom from now on!! :D

lovesublime...that's insane!! I've never had a bad experience at Dillard's with returning anything. I've shopped there for years and I've returned things many times and no one asked any questions and I've never been refused the refund for the price I paid for the item, even if it was on sale at the time I returned it.

Now...get this. I ordered the dress on April 25..a Friday. I still haven't received the gown. I just called them and they said they just found the gown in the size I need on May 1!!!!! I was told it came in a size 2....it shouldn't have been that hard to find. Good Lord! So now, it might be yet another week until I get it. It's a good thing my cruise isn't until next Feb.! LOL. :eek:

I also quit shopping at Dillards because of a bad experience. I had bought a skirt-paid FULL price. Couple of weeks later decided to return it. I had never worn it and the tags were still attached. I had the receipt. In the time since I had bought it, the skirt had went on sale. They said they could only refund me the 'sale' price. I was shocked. I paid full price for the thing and couldn't care less what they were currently selling it for. I decided to keep the skirt because otherwise it would have been me giving them free money. Bad, bad policy.

That's one of the worst things I ever heard. The store I shop in does that but ONLY if you don't have your receipt, which makes sense because they would have no way of knowing what you paid for it.

I think if I was in your situation and I put the item on my store charge, I'd call the credit department and say, BTW I only owe you x amount since the skirt went on sale....should work both ways.

Archived