NCL Tipping Procedure

I sailed on RCL and my tips were automatically added on to my precruise bill. At the end we were given envelopes to tip extra if we felt the service was worth it. I remember reading something about a "service charge" and it sounded like it was the same as gratuity. Could this be the same as on RCL? It would be awesome if I already have it paid for.:(

It is the same thing as RCCL, but you haven't paid for it yet. The service charge will be added daily to your onboard account and you will pay for it when you settle the bill at the end of the week. This is actually a gratuity/tip which will be divided amongst room stewards, waiters, and behind the scene workers.

NCL basically considers the service charge your entire tip so you will not be receiving envelopes to use at the end of the week. If you choose to tip extra, you may, but it is not required nor suggested in the form of envelopes.

Also, any drinks that you get on board will automatically have a gratuity added to the bill to take care of the tips for bartenders as they do not get any portion of the service charge. And again, as with the room stewards, waiters, etc. if you feel that a bartender goes above and beyond, you may tip him extra if you wish.

We have also left a couple of dollars for the wait staff in a non-charge restaurant if we enjoyed the service that meal. We do by the meal since we never know if we will see that team again.

In addition, I rarely tip additional for unless I request something a little out of the norm. I normally adopt a drink runner for the week and if he takes good care of me I do flip him a twenty a few times during the week. IMO the special things would be room service, if room steward keeps my beer on ice etc.

A lot of people go out of there way to give away money, I'm not one of them. In saying that, don't be one of those people that are cheapskates either.

Archived