OK-How should we make her dress?

Ships R Great

We are planning to take our grand-daughter on a Century cruise this summer. (Her parents agreed this time.) She is sort of a tom-boy. Plus her mother is really opposed to the clothes that are out for ten-year-old girls these days. (Too skimpy short and tops.) We will make her wear appropriate stuff for dining room, but what about during the day? She wants to wear "boy stuff". Will she be out of line? Ultimately embarrassed? We don't want this trip to be turned into a battle about clothes. Any suggestions from other parents out there?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;9;7;16;00;00&timezone=EST-0800

<marquee width = 45%> Century Nov/00---Norway June/01---Monarch Oct/01---Grandeur Nov/01---Mercury May/02---Horizon Feb/03---Century July/03---Zenith Nov/03---Zenith Apr/04---Constellation Sept/04</marquee>

Bathing suits, shorts, tank tops, polo shirts and flip flops. Tennis shoes in port. She will be ok. Being a tom boy is fine, there are worse ways of dressing.

Have a great cruise. You are wonderful grandparents and I am sure she will always remember this cruise!

Till Constellation Southern Caribbean 11/27/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;11;27;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I agree with MSU -- bathing suit, shorts, t-shirts during the day and she'll be just like all the other kids!

Have a great time...and I hope she does, too!

~Host Anne

Pick your battles--if she agrees to dress appropriately in the evenings, let her wear anything she wants during the day.

If she admires some nice item of clothing in a shop, buy it for her!

ShipsRGreat.....My children wore very casual clothing onboard the Century (daytime) on our Caribbean cruise 2 summers ago.

Shorts & t-shirts. This is what all the children were wearing, also.

Remember, the shops onboard will sell nice, high quality t-shirts...for kids and adults. icon_wink.gif

Boo's Mom

Even the winds and the waves obey him!

Matthew 8:27

As a mum of a now grown up tomboy daughter I know how you feel. Two thought for the formal nights - firstly sometimes even tomboys like to be pampered and made to feel special - if you can let her go to the spa to have her hair or nails done and you might be surprised at how quickly she 'agrees' to put on that pretty dress as part of the grown up girlie package. to top it off maybe let her wear a piece of jewelry that she knows is special to you.

Secondly we had a round of formal nights to attend and I got around it by having a tailored Tux for my daughter with a really nice feminine cut on the jacket which then teamed up with sparkly tops and jewelry and looked just as good as any of the balldresses there (in fact better than some).

Abover all its her holiday as well as yours - let her wear want she wants in the day and don't you let yourself get too stressed out about it.

Enjoy your holiday!

Everyone has offered such great advice.

Really, on the cruise we returned from recently, all the teens were dressed in whatever they liked during the day.

Chances are, she will find a group of teens to pal around with and if they are dressing nicely for dinner, she will want to as well.

Have fun!

Our ten yr. old grand daughter is also considered a Tom Boy. She recently wore casual girl shorts; jeans, khaki, even some Skorts for casual nights with a coordinating t-shirt, tank top or knit top. For formal night, I offered to get her hair down at the salon it was her birthday but she declined if she couldn't get it cut short! No way said her Mom. It was done in a great French Braid. She wore a Peach Pastel Stripped Silk Shantung Pants outfit with Black sandals that had a lucite heal. Sharp and not boyish at all. The other formal night she and her sidlings spent at the Fun Factory and with the counselors as they offer Dinner with the kids on formal nights. Plus they have group sleepover from 10 to 1 p.m. for free on Celebrity ships. The kids enjoyed that on both formal nights. Black satin pants with a coordinating top would also look very nice.

Bon Voyage

Celebrity Millennium 2/22/04

Carnival Conquest 10/26/2003

Carnival Legend 4/11/2003

Carnival Pride 2/23/2002

Celebrity Galaxy 11/2001

Grand Princess 3/2001

Celebrity Millennium 9/9/2000

Sea Princess 2/22/1999

Vison of the Seas 10/28/1998

Rhapsody of the Seas 3/1998

Celebrity Century 3/1997

Celebrity Zenith 11/1996

Legend of the Seas 6/1995

Celebrity Horizon 4/1994

I've found that one of the benefits of being a Grandma is that I can make the rules when my grandkids are around. I take advantage of this by stressing manners, dress, and behaviour.

It might be an opportunity to "gently" guide her to appropriate dress, remember you are taking her on a great vacation!

Having said that, I was the tom-boy of all time as a child, but I can also remember that Gramma didn't approve of some things and I was forced to wear "real" clothes for her..... It didn't hurt me at all!

Sue

Grand Princess - Western Caribbean - April 25, 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;4;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Constellation Transatlantic 9/7/04

Infinity Panama Canal 4/17/05

Thanks for all the advice. It is really hard. She is such a great kid. Straight A's at school. But she will not wear girlie clothes. She shops in the boys department.

We have made a deal Our clothes at dinner... Her clothes the rest of the day. Will she be out of place wearing boys clothes during the rest of the day?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;9;7;16;00;00&timezone=EST-0800

<marquee width = 45%> Century Nov/00---Norway June/01---Monarch Oct/01---Grandeur Nov/01---Mercury May/02---Horizon Feb/03---Century July/03---Zenith Nov/03---Zenith Apr/04---Constellation Sept/04</marquee>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ships R Great:

Will she be out of place wearing boys clothes during the rest of the day?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

She should fit right in with the rest of the kids.

• 1 year later...

I know you said she likes to wear clothes from the boys dept. but could you maybe suggest at least looking at some of the travel themed t-shirts from the girls dept. at Target? Most of them are really cute without looking too girlie. As for dinner she wouldn't have to wear a dress necessarily. A nice pair of dress pants with a blouse might work for both of you. Joan

Uh-Oh---you used the word "cute". That is the kiss of death for clothes )in her opinion). We bought her a dress for dinner and the rest of the time let her wear what she wanted to. The trip was a great success. She wants to go again, even doing the dreaded "dress" thing at dinner. Given the skimpy shorts, skirts and mid-drifts in the girls department, I don't mind that she likes boy clothes. Some of the other girls in her class are now asking their mothers to let them shop there.

Ships-

You sound wise & loving. I only have sons but i have heard of many young girls who are prefering the less skimpy & form fitting t-shirts, polos, etc offered by the boys dept. Sounds healthy to me. Glad you had a great cruise, Meg

Archived