carrying own luggage onto ship

I know this question probably has been answered but I'm having trouble finding the thread. Can one carry their on luggage onto the ship? If I could I'd like to just go ahead and get everything put away before sailing and begin enjoying my cruise. Is it mandatory that they be taken by the porter and delivered to the cabin?

It depends on the amount of your lugggage and the size of the suitcase. THe loading pier is going to be extremly crowded. Elevators tend to be very busy expecially in the front of the ship. Also, you wont be able to stay in your cabin until after 1pm. (you may drop off carry-on stuff before this time)

Knowing all this and still want to carry on your luggage... it can be done.

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

Your luggage all must be able to fit through the xray. Can you really handle what you have by yourself?

Tropical 9/91

Ecstasy 9/93

Monarch 9/95

Sensation 9/96

Grandeur 9/97

Inspiration 9/98

Enchantment 9/99

Grandeur 9/00

Explorer 3/01

Grand 9/01.........Review!!

Victory 9/02........Review!!

Navigator 3/03....Review!!

Adventure 9/03....Review!!

Voyager 9/04

You really can only carry what will fit through that conveyor belt x-ray. On my very recent Serenade crusie I noticed that at least 5 families didn't get their luggage from the airlines for at least 2 or 3 days. So carry-on things that could help you survive for a day or so. Also, we boarded the ship at 12 , but didn't get our luggage until 5, so keep that in mind too.

We are traveling by car, so I am not aware of a plane's policy on what can be carried on, so I'm not aware of what can be carried onto the cruise ship. Here's my question. Can I carry on my garment bag?

Thanks,

Sue

To those who are considering this. The walk is quite long and there will be lines. Sometimes very long lines. You'll have to use elevators. That will delay you because I believe ther are only 2. Those are used for wheelchairs. I would never do it. We pack what we need for the first day in our carryons.

Tropical 9/91

Ecstasy 9/93

Monarch 9/95

Sensation 9/96

Grandeur 9/97

Inspiration 9/98

Enchantment 9/99

Grandeur 9/00

Explorer 3/01

Grand 9/01.........Review!!

Victory 9/02........Review!!

Navigator 3/03....Review!!

Adventure 9/03....Review!!

Voyager 9/04

Whenever I cruise (and fly) I use just carry-on luggage and have never had a problem. A wheeled carry-on and an small daypack is enough for me. I'm a light packer and it makes things go much faster at airports and disembarking. If you don't have luggage usually you can leave whenever you want since you don't have to pick up luggage from the dock. Not to mention no worries about lost luggage etc.

But if you have more, why not let the porters take it for you, after all you are on vacation.

Put tags one everything like you are going to check it. If you try and they send you back to check your luggage, all you have lost is time. I was made to check my Samsonite the last time I cruised out of Port Canaveral. I had to shlep it back to where they were taking luggage (at curbside) and return. The lines were long and I ended up back at the end of the line. That is your worst case outcome. If you are willing to risk it, then go for it. Just please don't hold up the folks who did check their luggage and are only carrying a reasonable amount.

Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!

Archived