What does everyone think about hair pieces (for women)

Just out of curiosity - how is it you are getting first hand looks at all these "jobs" anyway. :D

I have three very close friends, and one family member, that I did "research" for. And I am good friends with a nurse that works at one of these practices - a very good local one. I guess I am a bit of a research nut...and love poring over this sort of stuff...so they asked me...(after the first one - a masectomy patient) I sort of got a reputation for being the "go to" gal. :D) and I helped them out. Ended up all choosing the same very highly rated surgeon...I even went with them to the surgery (these were over several years) and I guarantee you...you'd never know. That said...I know a couple of other gals...and they look...noticeably "fake" - however they also both made foolish "size" choices. :rolleyes: You have to use your head...and I think many often go for BIGGER is BETTER. Tain't always so.

But most of the information I found was very reassuring. I would have no problems advising someone to "go for it"...but only if they do their homework, educate themselves, and go with a highly reputable surgeon. Many people never get that far, unfortunately.

I'm not trying to justify or encourage anyone either way - frankly I think most people have no need of such surgery. But I just wanted to dispel that oft-repeated myth that "you can always tell". You really can't.

So you are kind of a "boob consultant". :D

I think it's wonderful that ladies who have had mastectomies can have this surgery. I saw a show on it once, and I hope things have changed, but at the time they had no way of re-creating the nipple area, so that was a very big problem and I've often wondered if that has improved. Do you know if this has gotten better? I sure hope so.

Only girls could go from hair pieces to boobs:rolleyes: I have a fake leg:eek: , know that you can tell:D unless I have long pants or a dress on. Well, then I do walk with a little limp, but if you don't know, you can't tell.

Now that's how you get off the subject!

Go with the clip on hair, they are great!!!!!!

Happy cruising, Pam

I think it's wonderful that ladies who have had mastectomies can have this surgery. I saw a show on it once, and I hope things have changed, but at the time they had no way of re-creating the nipple area, so that was a very big problem and I've often wondered if that has improved. Do you know if this has gotten better? I sure hope so.

Yes, they have improved techniques quite a bit - a co-worker had this done a couple of years ago and says it looks perfect with a tatooed nipple and everything - they moved tissue from her abdomen (think free tummy tuck) to form the breast. HOWEVER, she was literally bedridden for several months and still has some pain. I had a mastectomy 25 years ago, but when I read about the reconstruction techniques, I opted out. I'm fairly small (small B cup), so don't find it a huge inconvenience to wear a prosthesis that can be tucked into a regular bra.

Back to the original topic - in the late '60's I had what we called a "wiglet" as well as a long "fall" - both were made from human hair and were not cheap even at the time. The wiglet could be worn smooth in a bun or I could send it to the hairdresser to be done up in curls. It was so nice to just pull my hair back and plop this on for a formal event. My own hair is thick but fine and would never hold a curl.

But, I started coloring when the gray came in, so it would be way to expensive to keep matching the color anymore, so I wear it more in a Victoria Beckham type style which is pretty indestructible.

I went to a Color me Beautiful semilnar on the Navigator. Both of the stylists wore hairpieces similar to the one pictured. They said it was manatory for them to wear their hair up- so these make it looke better. One had pretty short hair to be worn up.

IMHO..classless is talking about class.

Archived