What does everyone think about hair pieces (for women)

Hi there,

Just wondering what you all think about these hair pieces? I have one similar to the one shown below, and was thinking about taking it on the cruise (I did once before), but I'm not sure.

I think they look really nice, but I can spot them a mile away. But does that mean they are bad? It's like fake breasts (implants), they are easy to spot, but does that mean they don't look nice? Not necessarily. :D

What do you think? About the hairpiece, not about implants. :p

main01.jpg

You might be able to spot them a mile away because you're familiar with them. I don't think they are *that* popular, meaning I really wouldn't notice since I don't see people with them on around here (and if I do, well then I guess they look so natural I don't even notice!).

Personally, I think go for it. As long as the color is matched, I think you'll be fine. Just be careful your ponytail doesn't blow away if you're on an outside deck or a balcony. :p

I used one for my last cruise and it was fine. We like to stay in the pool for a long time and a hairpiece was easy to use I just washed my hair, pulled it back and put the hairpiece on and off to dinner.

Mine is a more high end one (you can get cheap ones for $20 up to hundreds of dollars) and the color is matched EXACTLY to my hair, the hairdresser who sold it to me was amazed at the match. I bought it for a wedding I was going to, and everyone kept talking about how gorgeous my hair was all night. I'm not the kind of person who can just say "thank you", so I ended up telling everyone it was a hair piece - which kind of defeats the purpose of wearing it.

But if you've been out on an excursion all day and are too tired to wash and style your hair, these are great - just clip them on and off you go.

They are pretty popular in my area, you see them a fair bit.

You know I have always wanted one of these. I used to have nice thick hair but since having my children my hair has thinned out a lot and is still thinning. Do you think one of these would be nice when I wanted to look like I have more hair? I dye my hair a rather unnatural shade of red however and would probably have to dye my hair to match the hair piece ;)

So I guess my opinion is go for it, I would wear it if I had one!

go for it dear.. I can "do" mine in a flash, but then..these hands are trained:) ..I have hated messy, unkempt hair since I was 12..so I became "one" with it, then went to HD school...now I R 1 !..go to a Wig store and get fitted correctly, try several styles..colors can be ordered. the non-real hair can be turned inside out, and fluffed in a minute for a great look..BTDT..lucky

:o I wore one for my wedding. I knew a style wouldn't hold up well on the beach in the heat and wind. I didn't want my hair styled on the ship because 1. I didn't have time and 2. I am super picky about who touches my hair. I don't know those stylists! ;)

The piece stayed perfect the whole time. I did anchor it with a few bobby pins just in case.

I also "did" my hair this way for formal night.

If it looks nice, wear it! If you're happy with it, it's no one's business if it's fake hair or not. Face it, none of us were born clothed, so wearing any clothing, makeup, or accessory could be considered "fake!" :D Think of the hairpiece as just another nice thing to wear!

I haven't used that hairpiece in a couple of years, and I've been getting more red highlights put in my hair - very subtle (or so I thought), I just tried it and it's way too light blonde now and doesn't match my hair. But I love it, I think I'll go out and try to find one similar to my hair color now. Wow though, it really shows how much red I have in hair now!!

The blonde one I have now is very "Barbie Doll" looking, I think if I buy a new one I'll get a shorter one. This one was really long, pretty though.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll be shopping for a new one before I go.

Yes, they're tacky, but if you like them, then wear them. Yes, people can spot them a mile away, and may think you live in a trailer....but as long as you have fun, you shouldn't care what other people think.

Well, I think mine is pretty stylin'...I bought one on sale that matched my (long) hair pretty closely. Have used it on 4 cruises and gotten nothing but comments like, 'your hair looks so good like that!' and 'love your hair!' I pull my hair back, twist and clip the tail on. My real hair is hidden underneath and just adds to the bulk of the ponytail. Everyone's been shocked to learn it wasn't my hair. I have long hair (now much longer than the pic on here) but it's extremely fine, and will never bulk up no matter how much product I use. This is a great, quick way to do a relaxed up-do with minimal effort. If you can get the color to match, don't worry about the folks on here who say it looks 'trailer park.' :rolleyes:

Hi there,

Well first of all it's only one "folk" who made that comment, so it's in the minority. :rolleyes:

I went out to get a new one today, but now that I have some red in my hair it's not as easy as when it was just blonde, they are going to order one in for me, hopefully it will be here by the time I leave.

On another note - has anyone ever told you that you look like Laura Linney the actress - which is a compliment, she's beautiful. :)

LOL I'm wearing one like the picture right now.

I love them, I have several styles and only other people who wear them often are usually able to spot them. The ones I buy are usually at Sally's or Ulta 2 and they look good for about a year or two depending on how often I wear them. They are so inexpensive I just get a new one when old one starts to look frazzled.

Since my hair is highlighted, the trick to getting it to match is to make sure that I get a two tone one with my a bit of my dark color and a bit of my lighter colors. When I wear my one that looks like a fancy curly bun on the top of my head,the two tone hair piece actually looks better than if I had set and curled my own hair which is mostly blonde on the ends.

Well, I think mine is pretty stylin'...I bought one on sale that matched my (long) hair pretty closely. Have used it on 4 cruises and gotten nothing but comments like, 'your hair looks so good like that!' and 'love your hair!' I pull my hair back, twist and clip the tail on. My real hair is hidden underneath and just adds to the bulk of the ponytail. Everyone's been shocked to learn it wasn't my hair. I have long hair (now much longer than the pic on here) but it's extremely fine, and will never bulk up no matter how much product I use. This is a great, quick way to do a relaxed up-do with minimal effort. If you can get the color to match, don't worry about the folks on here who say it looks 'trailer park.' :rolleyes:

We had our first formal night the night before our wedding and I wore mine to the dining room. The assistant maitre'd was chatting with us about our big day the next day. She said that she was going to tell me about the salon onboard for a style but said that I did good on my own so she guessed I didn't need it! ;)

The one I had was a bun-type style on a jaw clip. All I had to do was put wrap my hair and stick it in the clip. I never had any bumps or odd bulges either. Ok...not in my hair anyhow ;)

It's more "trailer park" to make uncouth comments than to wear a hairpiece! :D :cool: I agree with you.

Yes, they're tacky, but if you like them, then wear them. Yes, people can spot them a mile away, and may think you live in a trailer....but as long as you have fun, you shouldn't care what other people think.

Unless they call you trailer trash and tacky:rolleyes:

Happy cruising, Pam

I was a cheerleader in highschool and we could spot SOME from a mile away. The cheap ones really look like crap, but if you can find a nice one and keep it in good shape I think they can add to a style. My hair is kinda short and to be able to add a little extra for a style would be great!!

I wonder if anyone has tried the Jessica SImpson stuff???

Soooo funny ur asking this....just last weekend we went to the Kid Rock concert and it was a yucky windy day, and it was an outdoor concert. I was like... I am going to wear my hair piece (since if I styled my hair the wind would destroy it)...mine matches EXACTLY to my hair. I wore it and I had sooooo many of my friends say how awesome it was and wish they'd could pull it off. It was so fun and I will be taking on the cruise this weekend, just in case there is that busy afternoon where I want to pull it back.

Even after the concert, some n'bors that did not go heard about it & called me to say I heard u looked killer, etc...where did u get it, I wanna see it next time.

So yes, go for it...I will! :)

as long as you don't plan on changing your own haircolor. I know many gals that do, often, so that was the first thing that comes to mind.

The second thing that comes to mind...is that though you may be able to spot a fake hairpiece often, I doubt you can spot the other items as often - IF they were a "high end" job. You'd probably be completely shocked at how many people you know that have been...ahem...enhanced. ;) :D

Yes, that happened to me. I bought one for a wedding I was going to a couple of years ago, and then just the past few months I started to get some red put in my hair so now it's more strawberry blonde. I could no longer wear the other one, but I loved the style and brand, so I went back to the place I bought it, and they had to order one in for me. They matched up my new haircolor and I picked up the new one and it's perfect. I took DH in just to be sure they weren't just saying it was a match, but he said it looks really nice, so I'll be wearing it next week. I love them after coming back from excursions if I don't feel like spending a lot of time on my hair.

As for the OTHER THINGS - if they look TOO perfect, I usually assume they are fake. I actually like mine - probably one of my best features - but they move when I move if you know what I mean. The fake ones tend to stay in the exact same position no matter if you are lying down, on your side, etc. That's just not right. :p They are SUPPOSED to move a little!

The fake ones tend to stay in the exact same position no matter if you are lying down, on your side, etc. That's just not right. :p They are SUPPOSED to move a little!

Nope. That's my point. Only the poorly done ones will do this. You won't ever suspect the ones that are done well. I've seen plenty of both...and there is definitely a difference. :) I suspect those TOO perfect ones are indeed what you think they are...but they are really the minority.

Archived