Modified Room or Accessible room

Hello everyone

I need some advice.

I am looking into going on a cruise in the near future (hopefully next year) and my potential cabinmate has to use a scooter to get around but CAN stand and walk a little bit (like around the cabin into the bathroom etc)

Do cruiselines have rooms that have wider doorways so she would be able to get the scooter in and out of the room? Or is it a handicapped room or nothing?

Thought I would ask here.

Thanks in advance.

On Holland America I booked a Modified Accessible Cabin which

had the wider door and space for a scooter. It did have a

step up into the bathroom, which I was able to manage at

that time. And there was a very large shower w/o any

further step into it. In fact, it appeared to be in the space

where there probably had been a tub - it was that large.

That is such a nice alternative for someone not requiring

a fully accessible cabin - and thus leaving the fully accessible

cabin for those requiring them.

It depends very much on which cruise line(s) you are considering. As described above, the so-called modified cabins on most HAL ships do involve a lip from the cabin in to the bathroom and often out on to the verandah if it happens to have one. But on Carnival, for example, the modified cabins on some of their older ships, are very little larger than a standard size cabin and very cramped for moving a scooter around inside or even storing it overnight. If you have any doubt, you are better to go for the fully accessible cabin rather than a modified one, only to find out after the fact that it has problems or difficulties for your friend :)

My father too is in a scooter and travels frequently (atleast 2x per year) on a cruise. He's found Royal Caribbean to have the best handicapp/accessible rooms. You specifically need to request a handicapp room, there is no step into the room or bathroom, the bathrooms are accessible (roll-in), whereas other cruise lines (Holland America) claim they are accessible, but most of their fleet is old, and certainly not up to Accessibility 'standards' for those with a disability. *Holland America often still 'tenders' their guest onto Sea. They can not accomodate scooters for the tendering.

One caution, not sure if your friend is planning to rent a scooter on board or bring their own? In the beginning my father used to rent the scooters. They are outdated, dangerous and clunky. I would recommend if you can, to bring your own (my father brings his Travel Go-Go and it's perfect for getting off the boat)

While we heartily agree with you that the ships of RCCL are by far the most accessible on which we have sailed, I dispute the contention that most of HAL ships are old.. The new Vista ships, and we have sailed on 3 of them, are quite accessible. The Amsterdam is also quite accessible. The older "S" class do not have many accessible cabins we agree, but with the exception of the one Suite, which is "modified" with lips, the few accessible cabins they do have are quite large and well equipped. We do not travel on Carnival.:)

and that misinformation was exactly what we were trying to dispute and nip in the bud before someone accepts it as fact. It is one thing to post an opinion if you make clear that is what it is, but factual stuff should be based on reality.:)

Thank you all for your input

I actually talked to my friend tonite and we are open for suggestions, We kind of want to leave from NY so she will be able to take and use her own scooter without renting one.

She is a little worse than I realized (physically) and really cannot even stand for longs periods of time anymore. So defintely will have to use the scooter.

We were thinking of NCL - but looking at the deck plans it does not look like they have many accessible cabins at all. ANd since we already into May and were thinking of late October/November I think our chances are really SLIM for getting an accessible cabin for her.

How long in advance do you usually book to be able to get a cabin?

to get a HC cabin we usually have to book at least 6months and sometimes a year in advance; as you have discovered, there are not that many per ship. But unless you are absolutely wedded to sailing out of NY, be aware that all airlines will transport your friend's scooter at no charge. We have flown all over - Rome, Istanbul, London, etc. with a scooter. We also take a manual wheelchair for use off the ship as many ports are not accessible for scooters, particularly in foreign countries and some Caribbean islands.

RCL sails out of Bayonne. My mother and I loved it. We arrived early and I was able to park in handicapped parking just a short way from the departure tent. We got priority boarding. The wheelchair (or scooter) goes right onto the shuttle bus. When we returned, the porter and attendent took us directly to the car.

• 3 weeks later...

Although I can't speak about the other cruise lines, we just returned from our trip on the Caribbean Princess, and their accessible cabin was wonderful. Very spacious with a large bathroom. The only problem I might see for your friend is that many of the doorways into the pool areas are ramped, and the doors are hard to open and maneuver through if she is going to be without someone to help her. That said however, usually there is someone coming or going and were always willing to help.

Archived