serenade...aft suite or aft D1? PLEASE HELP

boquer

We are trying to choose between an aft junior suite on ten or an aft D1 on eight. The suite looks so much bigger but we're worried about being right under the windjammer. We will be cruising in December. If only all of life's decisions were about something so nice either way. Thanks in advance for all of your advice and help.

Don't worry about being under WJ!!! There is very little (if any) noise. The JS is SOOOOOOO much nicer than a D cabin! And deck 10 is so convenient! One flight up to the pool, WJ, etc...... Book the JS!

thank you CB and WRP for responding. did you cruise in the caribbean or in alaska? i ask this because on another thread i heard that during the alaska cruise there isn't much noise because people tend to be indoors in the windjammer and that during the caribbean cruises people are outdoors and above the aft junior suite more. i'm hoping that you both cruised during the winter and that we should go with the junior suite, of course.

I cruised in 1602 on the Jewel (sister ship) in the winter, did 1602 Serenade on a short Mexico itinerary. There was some thumping from above early in the morning that sounded like heavy articles - I think it was the crew getting ready for the day. We never heard scraping chairs or anything like that. If you're at the railing for sailaway or viewing something scenic, there will be people right above you and you'll hear them chatting. They can see you at the rail, all of you, unless you stand back about 3 feet, so dress appropriately, LOL.

We loved the cabin - the early morning noise was brief and that it was it for the day. And the JS is far nicer than the D-1 IMHO. Enjoy it!

I have some pictures in the link in my signature.

thanks again, and thanks jean for the pictures. oh...by the way, is it considered bad manners to write without using caps. it's just so much faster for me.

I had 1602 for the Southern Caribbean out of San Juan. If you follow the link in my signature for the photos from my Serenade cruise, there are several pictures of the balcony.

I'd pick the JS on 10 too. We have only had a D1 AFT on 10 and I honestly did not hear any more noise there than anywhere else. You will see fewer people when you look up from 10 than on 8 since the afts are staggered. The majority of the overhang will still give you privacy.

I always carry ear plugs and if you think the minimal noise will bother you then that should solve your problem.

We have sailed on the top passenger decks for most of our cruises and our D1 aft on the Radiance was much quieter than the RS we had on the Century [pre-reconfiguration.]

Happy planning

thank you all for helping us to decide. we have decided on the junior suite as i'd hoped we would. oh....jean...i just noticed your trip on the block island ferry. that brought back some wonderful memories of the early seventies for me.

Archived