Tipping?

what will you do when Carnival doesn't let you remove the auto-tip??????

You didn't ask this of me, but I'll give you my answer.. If, and when, Carnival decides to make tips mandatory, then they're not really tips any more, are they. I guess it will be up to the general public to decide if they want to cruise, or if they want to tip on top of their tips. Personally, I wish they did make tips part of the cruise fare. Then the poor, overworked, tired Phillipino room stewards wouldn't have to worry about how to get rid of the stupid two dollar bills and fake gold dollar coins, and I wouldn't have to worry about whether or not the dishwasher was getting his cut... Everyone working on a cruise ship should be paid a fair wage. Carnival should pay them a fair wage, pass the cost to us, even it out so nobody has the option of stiffing, and let people tip above that if they feel it is warranted.

By the spelling of discrete, it means that your money given to the server is separate. So does that mean you have the auto-tip and then give something extra?

Yes... I leave the Auto Tip, and I TIP additional. My point it that TIPing additional is purely a personal decision... and is not required or necessary.

And thank you for the spelling lesson... :)

...what will you do when Carnival doesn't let you remove the auto-tip?????? I am interested in what you have to say. Thanks.

The Staff would have to screw up pretty darn bad before I would ever adjust the auto-TIP down... let alone removing it.

There are better ways to remedy a bad situation without punishing every last crew member on the ship that is involved in providing you great service, just because of one bad Crew member, by removing or adjusting the TIPs that the Crew depeds on. Specifically... putting a complaint in writing and handing it to the Purser or Matr'D will do more to insure good service then reducing a TIP.

If they made Auto-TIPs mandatory and permanent, I would be fine with that.

Yes... I leave the Auto Tip, and I TIP additional. My point it that TIPing additional is purely a personal decision... and is not required or necessary.

And thank you for the spelling lesson... :)

The Staff would have to screw up pretty darn bad before I would ever adjust the auto-TIP down... let alone removing it.

There are better ways to remedy a bad situation without punishing every last crew member on the ship that is involved in providing you great service, just because of one bad Crew member, by removing or adjusting the TIPs that the Crew depeds on. Specifically... putting a complaint in writing and handing it to the Purser or Matr'D will do more to insure good service then reducing a TIP.

If they made Auto-TIPs mandatory and permanent, I would be fine with that.

I do owe you an apology. I am sorry because I thought, incorrectly, that you removed the tips. Sorry, sometimes my typing gets ahead of my mind. I sincerely apologize to you. I totally agree with what you do.

FOR THE POSTER WHO ANSWERED MY QUESTION

On some lines the tipping fee is a service charge (NCL as an example.) People, including me, still choose to cruise them. I do think there will be a time, not in the too distant future, that tips will be gone. Either a service charge will apply, or we will pay more than the $10 a day and it will be added to the cruise charge. Many hotels charge a service charge and it is not refundable or optional. There goes the argument about bringing alcohol to hotel rooms, lol. Another subject.

Years ago, HAL had no tipping expected because the price was figured into the cruise price. Then somehow things changed. I don't know if it was because they became part of Carnival or for other reasons, but then tips became tips and then added to the sea pass.

Too many cruise employees were stiffed and now the way things are becoming, it's that everyone pays his/her fare (fair) share.

I know there are posters on CC that stiff employees all the time. They brag about it and feel that's how it should be. I guess I wonder if their employer felt they only did 1/8 their work this week, if they only got paid 1/8 the pay, how they would feel. I already know they would choose to work somewhere else, but that's not as easy for the people working on ships as it is here. Off my soapbox.

Again, I apologize for my misreading Venture Man's post.

Just out of curiousity...how did these people get paid prior to automatic tipping?

Well... In 1987 before Auto-TIPing, the Cruise Director just reminded you day and night... over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over,

"Please don't forget to TIP your Wait Staff and Steward"... :eek:

Gee...... maybe the cruise line paid them.....as they should !

My original question was asking about the "$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff". Is that what you are talking about here? I wasn't referring to the room stewards and waiters and other traditionally tipped employees.

Too many cruise employees were stiffed and now the way things are becoming, it's that everyone pays his/her fare (fair) share.

Except Carnival. That is why YOU pay err subsidize salaries for jobs in the real world that don't rely on tips because of....... a decent wage.

I know there are posters on CC that stiff employees all the time. They brag about it and feel that's how it should be.

Not bragging, just trying to OPEN YOUR EYES to what is really going on. Just because the Emperor is naked, doesn't mean you should say 'nice duds dude.':rolleyes:

I guess I wonder if their employer felt they only did 1/8 their work this week, if they only got paid 1/8 the pay, how they would feel. I already know they would choose to work somewhere else, but that's not as easy for the people working on ships as it is here.

Obviously they like what they are doing and they feel that they are paid well or they wouldn't be there. There are thousands waiting to work on ships because it is a good job. The fact that your 'Tips' are a part of their salary is irrelevant. That is not a bill that you should be paying. You should only tip the people that serve you personally. That's the whole concept behind a tip.

leave the autos, tip some more in cash at the end, with a nice little parting gift as well.. They like what I give them so much, that I'm asked if I can bring more (and they pay) Also, pay the man what brung me, and alll the other non cruise folk. Part of my cruise cost

We remove the auto tips, because we feel that certain people go above and beyond what the auto tip would give them and that way we know exactly the amount they get from us. We always tip our steward at the beginning and our wait staff. Plus depending on the service through out the cruise they get tipped again at the end. We did not tip the maite'd last time because we never saw him except at the front desk and he never said boo to us. We also tip the camp carnival staff because they take care of our 4 children from time to time. A very important job!

I can only assume that means you fail to show up for dinner on the last night... :D

Very incorrect Sir ! I have never stiffed any staff person and always exceed the " suggested guidelines ". Maybe I am the only honest person on this thread (I doubt it). I don't tip the Maitre'd unless he visits my table more than on the final evening.

As this is the first time that we are going to use shuttle service from hotel to pier or for any reason for that matter - what is the usual tip for this service?

Shuttles vary. Some include the tip and some do not. A couple bucks should cover it.

As this is the first time that we are going to use shuttle service from hotel to pier or for any reason for that matter - what is the usual tip for this service?

I would tip 25 for 2 of us. Plus 10 for the bags for a short trip. On a longer ride, I would tip more. Gas prices are crazy!:eek:

I tip $4 for my 2 bags.each way.. a 5 minute ride..they always hv cold bottled water for me also

We remove the auto tips, because we feel that certain people go above and beyond what the auto tip would give them and that way we know exactly the amount they get from us. We always tip our steward at the beginning and our wait staff. Plus depending on the service through out the cruise they get tipped again at the end. We did not tip the maite'd last time because we never saw him except at the front desk and he never said boo to us. We also tip the camp carnival staff because they take care of our 4 children from time to time. A very important job!

if you remove auto tips...and then tip in cash..they are required to turn that in to the tip pool..so only get a % of it anyway..so it is an excercise in futility that Waitstaff, Stewards get all of the cash that you give "instead"..however, if you tip extra and leave the auto, that cash,they get to keep..this has been discussed much, in past posts.

if you remove auto tips...and then tip in cash..they are required to turn that in to the tip pool..so only get a % of it anyway..so it is an excercise in futility that Waitstaff, Stewards get all of the cash that you give "instead"..however, if you tip extra and leave the auto, that cash,they get to keep..this has been discussed much, in past posts.

You are correct... but I fear your post is an exercise in futility for a couple of folks here...

True dat...

Removing auto tips is nothing but cheap. Of course the crew knows who removes auto tips and any cash tips go into the pool if auto tips are removed so it is still split anyway.

I didn't read the rest of the responses, so this may be a repeat. We tip our room steward, our server, the server's assistant, Maitre'd & any bartender who we have gone to frequently (someone who has stood out). This is over & above the automatic gratuities. We've always had great service from each of these members of staff, so I don't know what I would do if the service was subpar, I guess not tip extra. On our last 7 day cruise, we tipped $40 to the steward & server, $30 to the server's assistant & $20 to the Maitre'd. I can't remember how much we tipped our favorite bartenders.

first before I get totally flamed let me say that I always tip more to the porters than $1.00 per bag and also always tip room steward, waiter and assistant waiter extra. My wife is from the Philippines where many of the workers on carnival are from. Their cost of living and wages can not even start to be compared to here. We could retire in the Philippines for $1,000.00 per month which would be a 3 bedroom house with guest quarters, as well as a maid and a driver. What they make working for Carnival plus the tips they receive is really big money where they live which most of them send back home. Thats why we tip extra but don't feel sorry for them because they make oodles and oodles more than those that are working in their home country

Ok here is my tipping question, can you have some of the auto tips removed, or is it an all or none. I know this should be interesting to here responces to but here is why i ask.

On our upcoming cruise, we will not be using the dining room. I love my DD's (3 and 4) but they will not make the dining room enjoyable to others, so we will be eating on the lido deck. I can see no reason to tip my waiter and assistant when they never saw me. is there a way i can have just that removed or is it an all or none?

Archived