Tipping?

here's a funny story about tips and international customs..

I visited Japan a couple of year ago, and left about 15% tip on the table.

Stepped out of the restaurant, walked towards my hotel and 2 blocks later a very cute japanse girl gave me my money back.

I felt so embarassed, nut I didn't knew they didn't accpet tips.. she was the waitress. She ran for 2 blocks just to give me my money back... and she was beautiful :)

Ok here is my tipping question, can you have some of the auto tips removed, or is it an all or none. I know this should be interesting to here responces to but here is why i ask.

On our upcoming cruise, we will not be using the dining room. I love my DD's (3 and 4) but they will not make the dining room enjoyable to others, so we will be eating on the lido deck. I can see no reason to tip my waiter and assistant when they never saw me. is there a way i can have just that removed or is it an all or none?

Yes you can, just go to the GR desk & they will adjust accordingly.

Ok here is my tipping question, can you have some of the auto tips removed, or is it an all or none. I know this should be interesting to here responces to but here is why i ask.

On our upcoming cruise, we will not be using the dining room. I love my DD's (3 and 4) but they will not make the dining room enjoyable to others, so we will be eating on the lido deck. I can see no reason to tip my waiter and assistant when they never saw me. is there a way i can have just that removed or is it an all or none?

Set your own table..clean up the dishes, and wipe down the table too, from the little kiddies, and take all your trays to the "Thank you" bin ?..as well as do all the side work..and anyone in a vest(alot of them are also dining room waitstaff in the DR as well)do double duty. Tips, the auto kind are divided by both DR and Lido service staff.. You can sleep on the deck..so you wont mess up the beds as well. You may adjust tips if you wish. But waitstaff is told who has done this, becuz they are asked if something "bad" has happend for a guest to CUT" back their tips.

I guess I am just different than most one here....I do tip.

I tip the room stewart in the begining of the cruise, I tip the bar tenders and I do tip some of the other staff when they go out of their way to help you. :D

The staff on the ships do not make that much and so appreciate the "special" tips. They will show you just how much they actually do appreciate them.:D :D

I do not tip with $2.00 bills...$1.00 bills are just fine. :)

I guess you will never know if you will get "special" service or not if you don't tip. I do it because they derserve it....IMHO:rolleyes:

Maybe it's just me :p ???

Darlene

mandakate42:

However....beware of the guy that asks if you want a picture with his lizard while you're on the beach. He wants money.

My favorite quote from our honeymoon cruise was my husband saying, "I can't believe I just paid five bucks to have my picture taken with a lizard wearing a camoflauge diaper.":p

I don't think the argument that we are subsidizing wages holds any water, as least for US citizens. Everytime you eat out, take a cab, stay at a hotel, have a drink at a bar, get your hair cut you are expected to tip. Some places automatically include the tip. Carnival is not asking you to tip their mechanics, the show folks, the entertainment staff, etc. You are expected to tip the employees who are typically tipped.

I don't understand why it becomes such a big problem for folks when they step foot on a ship. If someone has terrible service than go remove the auto tips. But the only reason I can figure out to remove the auto tip before you receive that terrible service is the need to receive thanks or the desire to tip LESS than the recommended amount . Since I am the one that is grateful I don't feel that need for thanks.

I leave my auto tips and leave thank you cards with a little extra when appropriate. I think it is a little less awkward.

I don't think the argument that we are subsidizing wages holds any water, as least for US citizens. Everytime you eat out, take a cab, stay at a hotel, have a drink at a bar, get your hair cut you are expected to tip. Some places automatically include the tip. Carnival is not asking you to tip their mechanics, the show folks, the entertainment staff, etc. You are expected to tip the employees who are typically tipped.

I don't understand why it becomes such a big problem for folks when they step foot on a ship. If someone has terrible service than go remove the auto tips. But the only reason I can figure out to remove the auto tip before you receive that terrible service is the need to receive thanks or the desire to tip LESS than the recommended amount . Since I am the one that is grateful I don't feel that need for thanks.

I leave my auto tips and leave thank you cards with a little extra when appropriate. I think it is a little less awkward.

All I can say is...

YES, YES, YES.. and thank you!:D :D

This is exactly the way I feel.

Darlene

If I don't remove my auto tips and give out lots of 1's, 2's and phone cards.......will I go to cruiser heaven ??

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!

What a fantastic idea...phone cards:D

The staff does call home and this would be so appreciated.

Darlene

yes, you will go to cruiser heaven in my opinion.

If I don't remove my auto tips and give out lots of 1's, 2's and phone cards.......will I go to cruiser heaven ??

Don't forget the fake gold coins...you gotta hand those out too.

After reading this thread I am thinking of not deleting my automatic tips but also stop giving any extra tips - because why should I tip twice???

Instead, I think I will leave little pieces of advice scrawled in artistic looking letters and placed on gold-leafed cards...how do you think that would go over??? :)

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!

Darlene

Before giving phone cards make sure that the card works for calls to their homeland. Most of them don't. It is easier to give cash.

You can continue to be cheap, but if the tipping process was not as it is, then cruise fares could be expect to rise at least $20 per person per day to cover the extra wages, and the taxes that have to be paid.

So anyone who takes tips off it just kidding themselves, they are truly nothing but CHEAP!

Yeah, that's it. I'm CHEAP!:rolleyes:

Rev. Jones called and said he missed you at the kool-aid party.

Lemming.

Yeah, that's it. I'm CHEAP!:rolleyes:

Rev. Jones called and said he missed you at the kool-aid party.

Lemming.

:cool: :cool: That was totally uncalled for and vicious. You are the reason people don't want to post.:cool: :cool:

:confused: it may already be on here some place and i missed it, but assuming you don't get a bill/check like on land sooo, would you actually place the 'extra' tip on the table like some restraunts on land? this is my first cruise as well and I want to be sure to give proper attention to those who go above and beyond;)

Just some thoughts. Most people on the boards will say that Carnival dining in the dining room is 4 or 5 star or fine dining is a term that is often used.

If you are on land and go to a fine dining establishment, your bill sis going to average $50 + per person. 15% = $7.50 (that is the usual tipping amount)

You can't compare the "value" of Fine Dining in the USA with the "value" of Fine Dining on the cruise ship any more than you can compare the "value" of Fine Dining in the USA with the "value" of Fine Dining in India.

As you say, it may cost $50 pp for Fine Dining in the USA, but may only cost $10 in India. Using your argument, I would say we are over-TIPing the Wait Staff on the ships at $5.50 a day as we should be basing the TIP on the "value" of Fine Dining in India, which is $1.50 pp.

A cruise ship has it's own "value" for Fine dining... so, using your logic, we can make a determination that Carnival's Fine Dining cost is valued $36.67 per person.

The bottom line is, Carnival has determined what a fair TIP is for their little floating Country. Most of the crew are making a killing compared to wages in their home Country.

I'm surprised that someone hasn't suggested that the TIP be based on the value of Fine Dining in the Waiter's home Country... I'm sure it would be significantly less than the $5.50 pp they receive working on the ship.

Leave the auto tips alone, because even on land you would give 5% for horrible service and a lot more for good service.

Why would you give 5% for horrible service? I would leave -0- for horrible service. If you are expected to tip no matter the level of service, it become a service charge not a tip. It's been awhile since I had to leave 0, but I would do it again for truly horrible service.

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!

Darlene

I got news for you. The staff know how to get way better and cheaper phone cards then you could ever get them. Just give them cash.

They can get cheaper phone cards than free?

A free phone card that will not work where they are calling to and/or calling from is worth exactly what they paid for it.

Give them a $10er instead. If they want or need a phone card they will get exactly the card the need for their circumstances.

A free phone card that will not work where they are calling to and/or calling from is worth exactly what they paid for it.

Give them a $10er instead. If they want or need a phone card they will get exactly the card the need for their circumstances.

There are plenty of phone cards that work. People have been doing this for years. I actually read a story about it and how much the employees appreciated it. I send phone cards to soldiers, maybe I'll just send them 10 bucks instead.

I am confused,

if I am tipping my steward extra and he does an excellent job during the week because of it, why should another steward whom I never see or doesn't take care of my cabin get a portion of the extra tip I left? Same for the dining room...

I am confused,

if I am tipping my steward extra and he does an excellent job during the week because of it, why should another steward whom I never see or doesn't take care of my cabin get a portion of the extra tip I left? Same for the dining room...

The way I read it was the steward only has to put it in the "pool" if the passenger who gave it had cancelled the auto tipping. If you extra on top of the auto tip, they keep the whole thing

Archived