Crusing With A Foster Child

jas1178

After searching far and wide, I found one discussion about this from 2004:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=16722

I know that we will need the judges approval and court order to travel (as we do anytime we leave the state with a foster child).

However, what worried me is the Dept of Homeland Security. What do I need for documentation to get these kids cleared by them?

Is the court order and passport sufficient?

I am really concerned as I am taking a large family (6 cabins currently) and don't want to have an issue of denied boarding.

I read about foreign exchange students who had issues, and single parents, but never foster kids. Anyone know details?

Thanks in advanced!

Do you mean TSA at the airport? If so, as long as you have a boarding pass and a passport, I don't think they would be a problem at all. They aren't the ones that care.

If you have a court order and a passport, that should cover you with the cruise line and the airline.

I agree with the poster that said you should go to the gov't web site to get the latest info. There was a thread not too long ago about this and if I remember correctly you would need the passport (or bc) the court papers and as a precaution you might even get a hold of the kids social worker and see if she can notorize a guardian release. Most cruise web sites have a guardian release form. I will admit I am over cautious, but since I have to have one of these from my DH to take our DD on a cruise it would seem logical to have one for a foster kid. Have a great cruise.

We have two foster children that joined us on our large family cruise last month.

I am in the State of SC and we have a wonderful DSS office......can't speak to all areas of the country or all offices.

We traveled on the Carnival Legend. We used the parental permission form from Carnival and had the case worker sign it. We had a letter from the case worker to the court outlining the trip and requesting permission. The court signed (and had noterized) the "out of state" permission form (the one we always get when going on vacation). We also had certified copies of the children's birth certificates (my DSS worker obtained these in about 2 weeks - said she does this all the time for all sorts of reasons.)

We contacted Carnival before we left, told them the documents we would be traveling with and got a verbal ok. They also agreed that they would "note" our file (not sure what this meant).

We had NO problems at all and everyone had a wonderful trip.

Judy

• 1 month later...

We too have a child who we got legal guardianship because his mother did not want him so we went through foster care and the judge gave us legal guardianship all you need for the cruise are your paperwork all the court documents that have the state seal stamped on it. It has to be the original and it has to be current and also the pass their passport.

I am so glad you asked this question!! We are in the middle of obtaining guardianship of a little girl that the mother gave to us while she gets her life straightened out (hopefully). And we have our first cruise in October and wasnt sure how a cruise would work with a child we have guardianship over. When we go to court next month I will ask for a note from the judge and or social worker. I am also thinking of finding a trusted relative or friend as she will only be 6 monthes, but we want to have every basis covered just in case. Thanks!

Archived