Shopping within walking distance to the Port of Galveston?

We are being dropped off by family, and I don't want to impose anymore than we are. Is there any shopping within walking distance to the port? I was hoping I could walk to a store (after dropping off our luggage) and get some water and sodas before boarding. TIA!

There is shopping near the port, but not for water and pop. There are several places on the way to the port, and it wouldn't take more than a few minutes to stop and pick some up. Not everyone would need to go in, and that would make the stop faster.

Driving from League City to the cruise terminals in Galveston, you'll pass several Wal-Marts and Targets plus grocery stores (HEB, Kroger). Most of them are right off the freeway at convenient exits (FM 518, FM646, FM1764, and others). Should be no problem to stop at any of them.

She lives in League City. I don't know the highways or anything, but she said the port is only about 20 mins from her house.

Very good chance you'll drive by a grocery or C-store on your drive out of League City to get onto the Gulf Freeway. And it always seems there is a Walgreens or CVS on every other corner too...!

Next to the port in Galveston is the historic downtown area, and it is mostly tourist shops with prices to match! They'll sell individual bottles of water or soda, but at those prices you might as well buy on board.

I hadn't thought about the fact the individual bottles in the liquor stores would be about the same prices as on board. I guess I'll just ask her to stop on our way. I know she won't care, I just hate imposing!

Not talking about liquor stores -- I don't think there are any downtown.

For example, there is a Starbucks right across from the pier area -- they sell bottles of water, but at a much heftier price than the pack of 6 or 12 you could buy if your stopped at a place like Kroger / Walgreens / Target before you got there. Also, sodas / water sold in some of the souvenir shops in the area, but no bargains there either.

The Market on Market

2510 Market St. ( Map ) - (713) 725-0650

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the number. But this is the address. I Googled the Strand in Galveston, went to shoppping and then pulled the list of shops alphabetically this was listed as The Market on Market.

Thanks!

I needed the 2510.

I called a friend of mine that owns an art gallery near there on Mechanic. The Market on Market used to be an antique store. She said it went out of business a couple of years ago. The new business in process of going in there is a metaphysical shop called The Witchery.

She also said you best call any of the places you plan to visit before going just to make sure they are still there. The www.thestrand.com site you used is showing the old address on Post Office for her gallery. She moved it about a year or so ago & the site still does not show her new address.

I hope this information will be helpful!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Archived