Barcelona Pick Pockets and Cameras

I have read so much about the Barcelona Ramblas street crime particularly the the pick pockets and purse snatchers.

I know I will wear an under the clothing money belt with my money credit cards and important papers, but I want to be able to take pictures and video.

Are there any tips for keeping your camera and video camera safe. I have a camer bag that is designed to be worn over over the shoulder and across the front the body. It is one that I can put completely diagonally over my body and hold close to my body. If I have to I could probably wear it under a jacket so that it can't be seen very well or be pulled off, but I'm worried that it won't be cool enough in November to wear a jacket.

So is this a good idea or am I risking injury if some one decides to pull it off of me over my head?

I am thinking that the purse snatchers and pick pockets are more opportunistic, from what I've read. They take a bag that has been set down at a cafe, or hanging on a chair, or hanging loose on a single shoulder.

I've read most of the scams about giving flowers, cleaning bird poop, takikng your picture, but if you have any other tips about avoiding the street crime in BCN I would appreciate it.

(I went to Rome about 6 years ago for 10 days, and was very careful with my money and bags. Never had any problems, so if you have any insight into weather or no the street crime is worse in BCN than Rome that would be helpful too.)

Hi Suzanne,

It sounds as if you are well informed and well prepared. I carried a small back pack on every port day (including 2 days pre-cruise in Barcelona). DH carried valuables in a neck pouch, as well as a camera bag either on his shoulder or in a backpack. We travelled by subway, bus, train & on foot and felt safe. We stayed aware of our surroundings and kept a hold on our bags.

I agree that most thieves take the opportunistic approach and I feel that your camera bag should be fine without being under a coat .. I think what they really want is cash.

Hello Suzanne

Every time we've been to Barcelona (5 times) we've heard of someone who has had something stolen, one lady and her husband were trying shoes on in a small shoe shop and noticed it seemed to get very busy next thing her bag had gone. She was more upset by the attitude of the police who having established that she had not lost her passport said she would have to wait about 2 hours to give a statement and as her ship was due to sail she couldn't go to the police station to give a statement and their attitude was not very helpful. The Ramblas seems to be one of the places where opportunist thieves operate but forewarned is forearmed so I think you will be fine. You will enjoy Barcelona, we have never had any problems but have been robbed on each of the two occasions we have been to Rome! Fortunately on each occasion (we were on the underground) they didn't get away with very much - an empty camera case and although they slit the side of a rucksack nothing was missing. It did not and will not spoil any future visits to Rome will just be even more careful and try to avoid the underground.

Byee

Marylyne

Hi Suzanne,

I've seen all of the aforementioned things happen in Barcelona.

You might have read in another thread where I was rushed by a group who pick-pocketed me and got a photocopy of my passport. Glad I left the real one in the hotel safe. On my last cruise, I met three families who got something lifted in Barcelona.

I've got one that really takes the cake! I was in Strasbourg France and had a woman approach me and try to hand me a baby. Yes, forcefully hand me her baby. I found out later that the deal is that once you are holding a baby they pick your pocket and run. You call the police; they get the baby back from the police. Your story and theirs disagree and the police know what happened but since you won't be around to testify they get by with the whole thing. No witness, no testimony, no case.

Just be mindful in Barcelona. Make eye contact with anyone approaching to let them know you are aware and they are likely to go on the next person.

Thieves in Barcelona don't want physical confrontation, they will avoid a fight whenever possible.

Mike in Ohio

I had my own little pickpocket incident on Las Ramblas. I wore a backpack with a small zip pocket on the back, and someone obviously just unzipped it and slipped out what was in there while I was walking! Luckily the only thing that was in it was the small leather folder that contained my ship pass. I had all of my valuables in an under-the-clothes money belt, and my camera was not in a bag but in my hand, with the wrist strap tightly on. (I never let it go or set it down - when eating, I placed it in my lap.)

We joked a lot about the poor pickpocket who probably thought he was getting a nice leather billfold with some money in it - only to open it up and see a ship keycard with my picture on it! And I took a lot of ribbing that I was going to go to my cabin and find a nice young man in there by the name of Pedro. The rest of the cruise, whenever I was heading back to my cabin, I told everyone that I had to go back and keep my "boy toy" company. ;)

Anyway, like others said, knowledge is power and awareness is the best protection. I shouldn't have left that thing in my backpack - other than that, the only things in there were a bottle of water, maps, a hat and an umbrella, all things that I could afford to lose. Las Ramblas is not a place where you will generally find violent criminals willing to chance a physical encounter, so no one will be yanking your camera bag off your shoulder.

Thanks for all the replies. It sound like my over the shoulder/around neck bag will work out well for me. I originally bought it to carry my cam corder at Disney World years ago. I just needed something smaller than a bulky camera bag. Since this one is designed to be around the shoulders, it actually lies pretty flat across the torso and isn't too uncomfortable on the shoulders and neck.

You seem to be very well-informed re potential thieves / pickpockets. We have never encountered any problems on our visits to Barcelona. I never hang my bag on my chair in cafes / restaurants but put it in my lap. Nor do we leave any valuables such as mobile phones or cameras on tables where they are easy to snatch. We never, ever, carry valuables in a backpack/ knapsack as they are easy to cut open as you don't have eyes in the back of your head! Coming from London, we are very aware of opportunistic thieves who seem to be the same all over the world. One word of warning re Barcelona, if anyone approaches you and appears to indicate that a bird has soiled you from a great height, walk swiftly on. While the 'helpful' soul will be dabbing at the non-existent bird lime and distracting your attention their friend will be stealing from you. Enjoy Barcelona - we love it!

It´s not a big risk, unless you like a typical tourist (camaras hanging, bag, ethnic t-shirts denoting you origen, shorts...and so on). Just take care as in many other cities. During the day, it´s a pretty safe city.

I travel every week and I have had any problem.

Another idea is to avoid the Ramblas , or just spend a bit of time there.There are many things to see in Barcelona, and , in my opinion, the Ramblas is very overrated and a magnet for tourists. Whereever there is a large concentration of tourists, petty crime is sure to follow. Not sure what you are looking for, but there are many streets off of the Ramblas in the old quarter and streets up from the Ramblas where you can wander without the wal to wall of people.

Avoid the subway - it's heaven for pickpockets! Take only cash with you and not in large amounts. Don't get maps out and study them intently like the "typical tourist". Be aware of your surroundings, look alert. Do not give help to anyone falling over - a common ruse. Don't keep anything in a rucksack other than water. Don't wear flashy jewellry or watches.

All this advice would apply to most cities so don't let it put you off Barcelona because it is a wonderful place. I have been many times and never had a problem. your camera should be fine - they want cash/credit cards/passports.

You don't need to do the ship tours either. Just get off your ship, make your way to the Columbus monument at the bottom end of Las Ramblas and begin strolling. It is a straight run up to the main square of Placa Catalunya and should take about two hours at a gentle stroll (with a stop for coffee included). Placa Reial is a lovely square about half way along Las Ramblas and the market Boqueria is a fascinating place. You can get the Bus Turistic from Placa Catalunya - hop on/off with a commentary in English via headphones, and it will take you to all the main attractions. It even stops very near the cruise port for you to get back to the ship. The town beach at Barconoleta is worth a visit too.

Have a lovely time in Barcelona and don't worry too much about pickpockets. I will be calling there for the day on my Med Legacies cruise aboard Ventura in Sept and can't wait to go back, although as I said I have been there many times before.

Bella36.

Thanks for all the replies. It sound like my over the shoulder/around neck bag will work out well for me. I originally bought it to carry my cam corder at Disney World years ago. I just needed something smaller than a bulky camera bag. Since this one is designed to be around the shoulders, it actually lies pretty flat across the torso and isn't too uncomfortable on the shoulders and neck.

We stayed on Las Ramblas in 2007 and are planning a return trip and cruise in 2009. I used a pacsafe purse both 100 and 200 depending on how much I needed to carry. They are slash prrof and secure so that no one can pick anything out of it.

Found mine for a good price on Sierra Trading Post it was a great purchase and I will get lots of use from it.

Have a great trip!

quote=Cruise Cat;14596524]I am thinking of wearing a shirt that says "I Kill Pickpockets" in spanish and cat.:cool:

Hi from BCN,

You'd better write it in Bosnian or Romanian, those are our tourist pickepocketers...

I have to say I know what I'm talking about. I've travelled around Europe and North America and I work next las Ramblas. I walk Las Ramblas 2 or 3 times a week all during the year.

Why instead of becoming experts in self-defense, you just dress like in a city? You can't visit a city dressing like going to your neighbours for a july BQ, a canoe trip or a beach day. I know it's hot and lexhausting walking jurneys but, try to look city, casual and comfortable, but city.

I've done two Mediterranean Cruises, I didn't dress the same way in Rome than in Mykonos.

After that just care as in all over the world, take only what you really need for the day, share belonings with all the members of your party and open your eyes without being paranoic.

One tip about BCN, pickpocketers are worst around La Sagrada Familia than in Las Ramblas (everyone looking up...).

I don't think BCN is worst than Paris, Rome, London or NY, perhaps you know more about this problem here because most of you do the city on your own without guided tours. Barcelona looks easy (but I would love doing it with a guide to explain everything from Romans to the XXI century design city) and doing it pre or post cruise you spend quite a lot of money on hotels to spend more money on tours. In tours you're probably safer.

Forget about this and enjoy the city, and as said before don't spend so much time in Las Ramblas and "explore" the true city.

Bea

Be particularly alert if you're watching the 'human statues' on Las Ramblas. As BCN Lady said re la Sagrada Familia, you're already distracted -> no need for the thieves to stage a distraction.

When we sit in cafes on Las Ramblas (I know they're a rip-off, but you can't beat them for people watching), we play "spot the pickpocket" - you can often see them hovering around the edge of the crowds watching the 'statues'.

Also - never leave the money for your bill or a tip on the table - put it right into the hand of the server. I've seen people swoop down and grab the money a customer left seconds after they got up and before the server reached the table to clear it.

Sometimes the thieves have an accomplice on a bike who just waits in the background for the stolen items to be passed off to him and takes off so the actual thief isn't caught with the goods.

Nevertheless - don't get paranoid about pickpockets in Barcelona - it's no worse than other major tourist destinations and, unlike in the US, your stuff might be grabbed, but you're not as likely to be mugged.

Also, although you may hear people say frequently that they heard, via ship's grapevine, that someone was pickpocketed (or nearly so), usually, what you don't hear is that these people were not taking the normal precautions re not flaunting their valuables and everyone in the group (or couple) allowed themselves to be distracted at the same time.

In all seriousness, we plan on doing just that. We are going to dress and act just like we are visiting New York City. Keep alert, keep close together, wallet in front pocket, keep things underneath, don't look too touristy, and enjoy ourselves.

sounds like wallrt in the front pants pocket just like in NYC or New Orleans here in the states. A little uncomfortable but virtually theft proof and I agree. Dress to blend in and from what i have been hearing is they don't wear a lot of shorts in the med cities,so i'll be touring in slacks...:cool:

I was pickpocketed in Barcelona, even while taking "reasonable" precautions (purse zipped and under arm almost all day). Only thing I can figure is they must have slipped into my purse just before or after I stopped to purchase an ice-cream on a busy street (not Las Ramblas) in the Barri Gotic (Gothic Quarter). I didn't even notice my wallet was gone until I went to purchase a ticket for the museum.

I agree that they are stealthy and opportunistic but NOT likely to rip the bag off your neck.

In future I will definitely wear a money belt of some sort to secure any valuables that I can't leave behind on the ship or in my hotel.

That said, I didn't let it ruin my visit and I LOVED Barcelona.

quote=Cruise Cat;14596524]I am thinking of wearing a shirt that says "I Kill Pickpockets" in spanish and cat.:cool:

Hi from BCN,

You'd better write it in Bosnian or Romanian, those are our tourist pickepocketers...

I have to say I know what I'm talking about. I've travelled around Europe and North America and I work next las Ramblas. I walk Las Ramblas 2 or 3 times a week all during the year.

Why instead of becoming experts in self-defense, you just dress like in a city? You can't visit a city dressing like going to your neighbours for a july BQ, a canoe trip or a beach day. I know it's hot and lexhausting walking jurneys but, try to look city, casual and comfortable, but city.

I've done two Mediterranean Cruises, I didn't dress the same way in Rome than in Mykonos.

After that just care as in all over the world, take only what you really need for the day, share belonings with all the members of your party and open your eyes without being paranoic.

One tip about BCN, pickpocketers are worst around La Sagrada Familia than in Las Ramblas (everyone looking up...).

I don't think BCN is worst than Paris, Rome, London or NY, perhaps you know more about this problem here because most of you do the city on your own without guided tours. Barcelona looks easy (but I would love doing it with a guide to explain everything from Romans to the XXI century design city) and doing it pre or post cruise you spend quite a lot of money on hotels to spend more money on tours. In tours you're probably safer.

Forget about this and enjoy the city, and as said before don't spend so much time in Las Ramblas and "explore" the true city.

Bea

I try to dress smartly to blend in more, but I'm pretty sure that as I walk down the Ramblas with kids and husband that we will stand out as tourists, perhaps mistaken for Brits or Germans, but I know we'll look like tourists. I love to take pictures, and that is a dead give away of a tourist. But it sounds like they go for wallets, and not cameras or video cameras?

It sounds as though if I wear my under-clothing-money belt and keep my camera bag over my shoulder I'll be fine.

We are staying in an apartment in the Borne area, I think that we'll spend more time there than on the Ramblas.

i've been to barcellona many times and we enjoied it very very much, we went also in so called dangerous areas like the street where there is the picasso museum. never had problems, maybe because we are italians and we know how to behave?? who knows anyway i've never heard about anyone in barcellona having problems, i think i've been there at least 5 times , but never heard about anything strange. actually i've always met really nice people that prefered us to talk in italian instead english or french

Archived