Grand Cayman or Cozumel?

cmar143

Relax. Maybe rent a jeep or motorcycle and explore the place. Not have a certain itinerary...just do whatever.

So, basically...which place is nicer to do that?

Cozumel is your best bet to rent and explore on your own, make sure to get a map from cancunmaps dot com they are only like $9 and come very quick.

Do you speak Spanish (Latin American version) at all?

If not, I would suggest learning the basics, if Cozumel ends up being your choice.

Exploring is much more gratifying and personal when you can at least attempt to connect with Native Cozumelenos in their language.

Grand Cayman, No such need, but you'd better bring lots more money.. :)

I second Ken's map suggestion. Great map!!!!

We loved both places. In Grand Cayman, we really loved the snorkling. Of course, we went right after hurricane Wilma, so snorkling was not an option in Cozumel, so we went shopping and just walking around. We got lots of great deals. I guess, whatever you decide, take a map and have a great time. They are both great places!:D

As mentioned earlier, GC is very expensive. It's a beautiful place but IMO Cozumel offers a lot more at a much cheaper price. There are lots of excursions to do. Ken knows a lot about the place and can point you in the right direction.

Cozumel all the way!

Rent a scooter and go see the island!

It's beautiful!

I agree with cozumel part, but the scooter idea is way off, no way would I reccomend or drive a scooter around the island.

Grand Cayman is the place. Rent a car from Avis and head to a place called Rum Point! Avis will pick you up in front of the blue Iguina. It is a store that is right across from the ship terminal. THere is one road that goes all the way around the island. Take that. The directions are very easy. It is a beautiful place.

I agree with cozumel part, but the scooter idea is way off, no way would I reccomend or drive a scooter around the island.

Tina and I actually witnessed someone wreck a scooter in the middle of the road. The guy just kept sliding down the road on his side. He seemed embarassed and got up and went on but I know he was really hurt.

I would absolutely recommend renting a scooter in Cozumel to anyone who is thinking about doing so.

There were 5 of us (3 girls, 2 guys) and we loved every minute of it!

Easy to find parking, hop on and off, and just do your own thing.

I would absolutely recommend renting a scooter in Cozumel to anyone who is thinking about doing so.

There were 5 of us (3 girls, 2 guys) and we loved every minute of it!

Easy to find parking, hop on and off, and just do your own thing.

Yep some people get lucky and dont wreck or get wrecked, as I said I would not reccomend a scooter, you do as you wish.

Renting a scooter sounds like fun, but aren't a lot of roads in Cozumel not paved? I thought I read somewhere that half of the island is dirt roads. Or maybe it was Belize, I am losing my mind!

Renting a scooter sounds like fun, but aren't a lot of roads in Cozumel not paved? I thought I read somewhere that half of the island is dirt roads. Or maybe it was Belize, I am losing my mind!

We did almost the whole island. Most of the roads are paved.. and there are even some spots where only scooters are allowed, so that was cool too.

For the most part, the roads were in good condition!

We rented a convertible Jeep. I would recommend that over the scooter rental. There have been quite a number of accidents with scooters and the taxi drivers drive really fast. The jeep rental prices are very reasonable.

I think you'll have a great time. Go over to the other side of the island. The beach there is beautiful and has more waves and surf so its more fun to walk along the beach. Also, no crowds at all.

Ok, that sounded really dramatic....BUT I've seen the way people drive and witnessed a local lady getting smashed on her scooter by a pickup truck. There are hardly any traffic rules there. We were in a jeep and had the wife of a local policeman with us. She would direct us which stoplights you really had to stop at and which you didnt!!!??????

Ok, that sounded really dramatic....BUT I've seen the way people drive and witnessed a local lady getting smashed on her scooter by a pickup truck. There are hardly any traffic rules there. We were in a jeep and had the wife of a local policeman with us. She would direct us which stoplights you really had to stop at and which you didnt!!!??????

There are certainly rules, they're just a bit different that we are used to. :p

I would recommend Cozumel all they way! I was there recently and I saw some couple wreck on their scooter. The wife was fine but her husband went through a tienda window and was all cut up it was pretty major. They do have laws though just tourists don't always get it right away.

Archived