Hampton Court Recommendations

We are thinking of going to Hampton Court while in London for the day. I understand there are two ways to get there... a slow ride on a boat up the Thames, or taking the train from Waterloo Station. Would anyone recommend the trip? How many hours should we be prepared to spend in transit and viewing the site? Is the train ticket very expensive? We've been to London several times, and have visited most of the museums, etc. in the city. Thanks for any suggestions you have.

Is the train ticket very expensive?
£6 per person return, if you're going on a weekday and you leave after 0930. Trains from Waterloo are every half an hour, and take just over half an hour. More details from the National Rail website.

A place like Hampton Court is what you make of it. It would be very easy to turn it into a full day, particularly if the weather is nice.

The boat from Westminster to Hampton Court is very long, the first boat leaving at 10:30 doesn't get to Hampton Court until 14:00, so half your day is gone before you get there.

It can also get a bit monotonous on such a long trip.

I would recommend you take the train down to Hampton Court first and then spend as long as you want/need there and then get the boat back, perhaps just to Richmond where you can get the Underground, a pleasant 90 minute boat ride. There is departures at 15:00,16:00,16:45 and 17:00 for Richmond.

The ones on the hour go all the way to Westminster.

Hampton Court is not like Windsor Castle where there is a set tour route which takes x minutes to complete. Its more akin to a theme park in terms of there are 3 main tour routes with audio guides around the various parts of the palace. But throughout the day there are special workshops like cookery in medieval ages, demonstrations of the musical instruments as well as guides taking special themed tours throughout the day. For kids of all ages there is the maze and horse rides as well as the grounds and the deer park next door. The tour crowd will 'do' Hampton Court in 2 hours, but you really need a lot, lot more

It took a whole day but we took the boat on the Thames to Hampton Court Palace and the train back and had lunch there as well. Lunch was good and price was reasonable.

The tour through the Palace is very interesting and I was really surprised at the size of the church inside the palace. Huge.

Beautiful grounds as well.

We didn't plan nearly enough time for our visit. We had about 2 1/2 hours between driving in from Birmingham and the time to turn in our rental car. We only went on one inside tour and then stepped outside to be completely enchanted with the grounds. I especially loved the outdoor rooms and was duly impressed by the enormous grapevine. Spent so much time outside that we had to hurry back through the inside and out to the car park to get to the airport in time.

The boat from Westminster to Hampton Court is very long, the first boat leaving at 10:30 doesn't get to Hampton Court until 14:00, so half your day is gone before you get there.

It can also get a bit monotonous on such a long trip.

I would recommend you take the train down to Hampton Court first and then spend as long as you want/need there and then get the boat back, perhaps just to Richmond where you can get the Underground, a pleasant 90 minute boat ride. There is departures at 15:00,16:00,16:45 and 17:00 for Richmond.

The ones on the hour go all the way to Westminster.

If you do decide to go up by boat, take food. We did this trip last year and found they only sold hot/ cold drinks and very light snacks (potato crisps etc) on board.

This year, we're going to go up by train and return on the boat.

• 1 year later...

How far a walk is it from either the train station or from the boat pier to Hampton Court? My BIL has had heart problems and while he can walk flat surfaces and slowly up stairs, he gets very fatigued walking any distance. He does not use a wheelchair.

We just returned from London two weeks ago and at least 6 hours at Hampton Court Palace. We took the train from Waterloo station and received a coupon there for a 2 for 1 ticket at Hampton-great value.

We went there after the May 4th Bank holiday and therefore, avoided the crowds. We practically had the huge palace to ourselves and it was great to stroll through it at leisure. The gardens are also beautiful.

It's a short walk ( approx. 5 to 10 min.) from the train station to the Palace gates (just over the bridge of the Thames river). However, you have to walk another 5 min. or so to reach the sales office and Palace.

It's well worth the day trip, especially with the 2 for 1 coupon.

I went to Hampton Court on the underground. As I recall, it was the green (District) line.

It's zone 4, but my 7 day travelcard covered it. Even without the card, maybe cheaper and more convenient than the train.

Be sure to get the audio guide. Hampton Court is a true medieval palace, easy to get lost (sometimes that's half the fun:p)

I would plan to spend a good 4-5 hours here, inc lunch. When I took my parents here we really enjoyed the tour guide - she was "Katherine Howard" and took us around the Tudor part of the palace. Look out for these short tours scheduled throughout the day. There is a lovely cafe in the gardens too. If anyone is wanting to choose between Windsor and Hampton court - Hampton Court wins everytime for me.

It's approximately 30 mins from Waterloo station via train. As far as i know you can't get there directly via tube. From Hampton Court station, you just have to cross the bridge and you're there! Hampton Court station is in Zone 6.

I went to Hampton Court on the underground. As I recall, it was the green (District) line.
I don't think that this can be right. There is no Tube station anywhere near Hampton Court. The train is the best way from central London.

I don't think that this can be right. There is no Tube station anywhere near Hampton Court. The train is the best way from central London.

I've researched this to a fare thee well, and you are 100% correct.

I must be delusional. I visited Hampton Court in September 2007 and could swear I went on the tube. During that one week visit I went only once to a train station. That was to catch the Eurostar to Paris.

I do recall that we were above ground most of the way, but my memory accepted that because NYC subways have (had) some ground level routes. I also recall that the Hampton Court station was a turn around.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from London and did the Hampton Court Palace and it was a bit confusing for us too. We had to London Pass and the booklet with it described 2 ways.

1. Take the District Line to Wimbledon and then take the overland train

to Hampton Court Station and then walk to the Palace about 10

minute walk.

2. Take the District Line to Richmond, then take the R68 bus from the

Richmond Station directly to the Palace.

We took #1 choice and it was quite easy. Have fun!

1. Take the District Line to Wimbledon and then take the overland train to Hampton Court Station and then walk to the Palace about 10 minute walk.
The train from Wimbledon to Hampton Court is actually one that starts at Waterloo. So if you are in central London and can get to Waterloo easily, doing that is an alternative option so you don't have to change trains. That train is also considerably faster between Waterloo and Wimbledon than is the District Line between central London and Wimbledon.

The boat from Westminster to Hampton Court sounds appealing but its several hours and you would not have enough time at Hampton Court to do it this way both ways. It also can be quite monotonous after a while.

If the boat takes your fancy I would recommend taking the Underground to Richmond and picking up a boat there. Frequencies are much higher from Richmond and the journey is only an hour or so to Hampton Court.

• 1 month later...

I have a question about purchasing the train ticket to Hampton court. Is it better to purchase two one-way off peak tickets or a single 'return' ticket. When looking on line, the return wants a specific time to return. We don't know when we will want to return and want to take the train of our choice. Is this possible? I have also read that when you purchase the train ticket, mention a 'combo' for the Hampton Court entrance and you get a discount. I believe this day it would be better to purchase a one day travel card instead of Pyster. Does this sound accurate?

I wouldn't buy train tickets online. Just purchase return tickets when you arrive at Waterloo station and you won't need to be concerned about a return time. Along with the train tickets, we received the 2 for 1 coupons for Hampton Court. Very easy to do. Enjoy your visit!

Archived