Mariner aft cabin question....

Does cabin#9390 category E1 wrap around? RCCL's deck plan doesn't show it to wrap around, but it's a corner cabin..... I have it on hold but wondering if it's worth it or if we should go for a hump cabin?

No, it doesn't wrap around. On Voyager-class ships, the aft cabins have a partially obstructed view because of the criss-cross of beams back there. I'd recommend a hump cabin over the aft.

We were in 9392 on the Mariner and I have pics from our balcony.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/558600063pXfQxw?start=48

I don't think you could call it a wrap around balcony, but it is a pie shaped balcony with nice views. I liked our balcony in 9392 better than 9390 since it was much larger and had just as good of views. The one thing I like about aft balconies is that you can see what's happening on both sides of the ship. When we had a hump cabin it was nice, but sometimes when you were going by islands or docking, you were on the wrong side of the ship and couldn't see what was going on. With the aft you could see both sides of the ship.:D

Keith

I don't think you could call it a wrap around balcony, but it is a pie shaped balcony with nice views. I liked our balcony in 9392 better than 9390 since it was much larger and had just as good of views. The one thing I like about aft balconies is that you can see what's happening on both sides of the ship. When we had a hump cabin it was nice, but sometimes when you were going by islands or docking, you were on the wrong side of the ship and couldn't see what was going on. With the aft you could see both sides of the ship.:D

Keith

Just off Explorer and had the mirror image cabin on port side 9690 and agree not wrap around but you did have some view off the side. I found the balcony very crowded with 2 lounge chairs and two regular chairs. There was a large beam that went down the left side of the balcony. Still much larger than a side balcony and more open not so 'cave like'

I too prefer the balcony right next to it..much larger and although there is more structure in front of it you have more room.

The best part of these aft balconies is if you have windy conditions or cooler temps as long as the sun is shining it makes quite a nice sheltered area to sit out on.

We had 9390 last year on the Mariner, and one other major difference is that it does not have a sliding door to the balcony. There is a large round window, and then just a regular door to the balcony. We really liked the cabin and the balcony and booked the same again on Independence.

Keith

One of the pictures you posted seems to confirm my suspicion - if the people on the upper decks go to their railing and look down, can they see down onto the balconies of the lower decks?

We are not in one of the corner aft balconies, but in the RFS - the center aft balconies. So if we are on deck 8 - those on decks 9 and 10 will be able to look down on us? Has anyone noticed this? Obviously it isn't too much of a problem because the aft balconies are still so popular. People mainly sit back on their chairs relaxing - not standing out at the rail?

If you are standing at the railing they can see you from above and your neighbors to the sides, but if you are sitting in a chair on your balcony then it is private. It's nice at sailaway to stand at the railing and watch the view and visit with your neighbors, or you can sit in your lounger, have a drink in you hand, enjoy your view, and have some privacy.:)

Keith

If you are standing at the railing they can see you from above and your neighbors to the sides, but if you are sitting in a chair on your balcony then it is private. It's nice at sailaway to stand at the railing and watch the view and visit with your neighbors, or you can sit in your lounger, have a drink in you hand, enjoy your view, and have some privacy.:)

Keith

Thank you - since we are travelling in a group of 6 - we aren't expecting TOO much privacy;) . But I was really hoping the balcony would be a good place to relax on sea days. I imagine the pool areas get pretty crowded then.

Nice to know when we are resting/relaxing/napping on our balcony people won't be staring at us from above!

Thanks for the info. guys.... Decisions, decisions,and we just got off last week!!!! People in our group PLUS others already want to book on the Mariner, and this is only one week from returning from the Vision. Crazy!

I'm a confirmed aft fan, but I have to agree that a cabin on the hump is better - I went into a couple of the cabins on the stern and, other than Deck 10, found that the superstructure really interfered with the view. It might end up being like the telephone wires in front of my view of the Catalina channel at home - after awhile you don't even notice them.

Our hump cabin had expansive fews forward and aft, which I have to say was pretty cool. On our Eastern Caribbean cruise we were on the "wrong" side of the ship for viewing in every port, but it really wasn't a big deal. There wasn't enough room on the balcony to have a party, but we were hibernating on that cruise anyway, so no matter. But for the Mexican Riviera cruise, if that's what you're talking about, I'd say book portside for the 2 days of afternoon sun (if there is any) on the way home.

Thanks for the info. guys.... Decisions, decisions,and we just got off last week!!!! People in our group PLUS others already want to book on the Mariner, and this is only one week from returning from the Vision. Crazy!

Did you settle on a date, yet?

Carol & Jean ~

Thinking of booking the Mariner for April 19 sailing... wow a great price and a coupon as well. Right now I am booked on a TA on Independence 13 days and they took away two of our ports and am thinking too many 'cool'days for me

Jean thanks for the advice about the hump cabin port side

Carol & Jean ~

Thinking of booking the Mariner for April 19 sailing... wow a great price and a coupon as well. Right now I am booked on a TA on Independence 13 days and they took away two of our ports and am thinking too many 'cool'days for me

Jean thanks for the advice about the hump cabin port side

That's great, Emmy!:D It will be nice to see you again!

There's a great website called www.voyager-class.com that has a virtual tour and photos of each deck's corner aft cabins. We're booked on the corner afts on deck 7 (us and two other friends). Those seem to be the largest of the corner aft balconies and the view does not appear to be that obstructed.

Since I've done the MR three times now, the fourth is 3/33/09, I'd rather have the option to lie out on a lounge chair on the balcony rather than the two small chairs on a regular balcony. I've seen the sights many times. The best part of my day is in the morning, lying on the lounge chair in my jammies with my coffee and fruit plate . . . .:D

Archived