Mariner #7688 & Small Children - Help!

Booked 7688 aft cabin on Mariner for next year. We are excited to have this cabin with the large balcony and we have never been in an aft cabin.

However, we are concerned after looking at pictures of the balcony in 7688. It has horizontal railings (i.e., like a ladder). We have a 2 year old now (He will be 3 at the time we cruise). Although it does nto appear that he could fit through the railihngs, the concern is that he will use this railing like a ladder. We always book balcony cabins and he is never outside alone...NEVER. Kinds this age are very fast though.

Any comments or experience that you can relay would be appreciated!

Thanks

We just had that cabin last month, and I would be VERY concerned and Nervous to have a 3 year old on that balcony (it has a port hole also).... JMO, but I have a 3 year old grandson and I would not book that cabin with him.

That is absolutely the BEST cabin on the ship, but you might want to reconsider with your 3 yr old. I know the corner afts on deck 6 have plexiglass and not the rails.

Yep, the monkey stage is actually fleeting. I don't have to worry about my dd climbing much now that she's almost 9, but when she was 3, she climbed the porch supports and got herself on the roof. It's probably better to save that cabin for another time a few years from now and go with one with plexiglass (harder to climb, not impossible, though) for now.

Yep, the monkey stage is actually fleeting. I don't have to worry about my dd climbing much now that she's almost 9, but when she was 3, she climbed the porch supports and got herself on the roof. It's probably better to save that cabin for another time a few years from now and go with one with plexiglass (harder to climb, not impossible, though) for now.
Hey, I'm 41 and still have the urge to climb! I can climb things you wouldn't believe I can climb -- me and my 10 year old daughter!

I have one question for you though...if you sail in balconies then you know how much time you spend on them. I know from our experience that the kids spend probably 10 minutes total the whole week on the balcony. They are always off doing something else.

So I use the balcony when the kids aren't around (early morning or after they go to sleep)

I see your point about how fast they are (I have a 4 year old houdini right now). When she goes out onto the balcony we make sure she is seated, away from the railing. If she wants to stand, then she goes back inside, balcony time over. ;)

Archived