How to Spend More Money to Get a Better Cruise?

sail7seas

Are you willing to pay a little more than rock bottom to get a little more? Is price absolutely the 'it' for you?

For those who book Suites, are you starting to flinch at the way the prices have risen? Are you re-thinking the Suite Life?

If they continue to provide all (and more) of what we have come to expect, will you continue to pay a little bit more in order to still have that cruise experience?

I am willing to pay more to get more. The price is not the deciding factor for me - you get what you pay for.

We always book "S" Suites and no, we would not consider anything less, we would just take fewer cruises.

Is price absolutely the 'it' for you?

will you continue to pay a little bit more in order to still have that cruise experience?

Yes and yes, if you get my drift.;)

Price is the first thing for me, but that's mainly due to sailing solo, and HAL's generally fair single supplement. HAL gives the best deals in the mass market cruise business to singles, so I'm loyal on that basis.

HAL sets their price on supply and demand, and then I decide if it's a good deal, but if I have to pay more just to "go", and I can afford it, I will.

Best regards,:cool:

Mark...

We pay more now to get more ... especially so far as staterooms are concerned. Rock bottom gets you a cozy inside. Pay a little more and get a window. Add some more dollars and you have a verandah. Then crank things up a bit and get more space. Spend a healthy sum more and receive included amenities (i.e. laundry) and use of the Neptune Lounge. Finally, take the plunge and bask in the luxury of the penthouse suite.

In addition, we can pay more for an even finer dining experience in the Pinnacle Grill. Want cooking school? Fork over the fee and it's yours. Don't want to spring for a suite yet would like to have your laundry done? Purchase the unlimited package and let the ship do it for you.

I don't know what else I would be willing to pay extra for. Disney includes unlimited self-serve sodas in the price of all staterooms. But Disney costs more than most other mass-market lines for comparable sized cabins. Those who don't drink soda probably wouldn't want to pay for this amenity that they wouldn't use. The same would hold true if adult beverages were included in the cost.

Now, would I be willing to pay a bit more to assure adequate dining room staff to provide the level of service that "used to be?" I think I would.

I was thinking more along the lines of the total cruise experience rather than category of cabin. We have lost some of the things about the traditional cruise experience (particularly the HAL cruise experience) that I wonder if people would be willing to have increases in fare (overall - all categories) in order to maintain a certain level of service and experience, quality and variety of food, cruise staff, flowers, entertainment..... all the 'little' extras that make our cruises special.

Is it simply get me on the ship as low cost as possible and I am happy or is it I'll pay a little more to get a little more?

I'll leave myself out of the equation since I admit to be spoiled by HAL's Penthouse Suites and Suites.

It is my experience that most people (not everybody, but most) would be willing to spend a reasonable amount more to have less nickel-and-diming, and instead have today's annoying extras once again included in the fare.

Yes, we would be more than willing to spend 10-15% more if it meant our dining room steward had one less table to serve and better music came back to the lounges. However, 25% more and we would probably start looking at alternatives.

I cruise less, in order to get a suite. I want space, amenities, and service.

I'd pay more than the current price for a "regular" cabin if it came with better ship-wide amenities and service (the ones we've lost)...and settle for less space.

Absolutely, we would pay more. On our last HAL cruise I even thought about HAL offering "premium cruises" periodically that include more-along the lines of Crystal. Crystal ships are no better than HAL's but the product is and in this way HAL could appeal to a wider market. Say one traditional HAL Sea of Cortez trip at the going rate but then another cruise on the same ship, same route, but offer comped wine tastings, no charge coffee and goodies in Exploration, sodas and water included, no charge for specialty restaurants, great speakers, computer training, and the like-just like Crystal does-maybe even get some premium entertainment. Would be interesting to see what per cent increase the number crunchers could come up with to offer these additional included items.

Gary

Are you willing to pay a little more than rock bottom to get a little more? Is price absolutely the 'it' for you?

For those who book Suites, are you starting to flinch at the way the prices have risen? Are you re-thinking the Suite Life?

If they continue to provide all (and more) of what we have come to expect, will you continue to pay a little bit more in order to still have that cruise experience?

Not rethinking the Suite Life but maybe staying closer to home and taking shorter cruises. With airfare soaring and becoming more cumbersome, I think that will slow us down more but we're only into the first part of this bad economy, it may all change as we get deeper in. Gas prices here are over 4 dollars a gallon now.

To answer you question, yes we are willing to pay more to get more.

I really thought we received everything we needed on the Westerdam last summer and I can't think of anything I would want added or would pay to add. We had the dinner time and seating as requested, good food, and a great cabin steward. DH the Chef refused to pay $30pp for the Pinnacle Grille. And interestingly a lot of the Pinnacle Grille recipes ended up in the main dinning room, including a number of soups. I figure the gratuities into our overall cost and I honestly didn't find anything missing.

If anything, I wish HAL had some 3 and 4 nights on the East Coast because air cost is really going way up.

Got info from my online TA yesterday about a blowout sale by HAL.. There are 14 day cruises to Alaska( really B to B) from 999 all inclusive even including low catelgory outside..obstucted view.

For comparison...our firswt cruise was to Alaska in 1993 and it was early in the season... about the third week of May. The special rate was 999 for a 7 day return....exactly half of todays cost, and our incomes were less then too. We are getting incredible value...we just don't want to pay what the old days would be worth now. We can't have it both ways.

I wouldn't pay more for a suite ... simply because a suite, and the perks that come with it, are not important to me. However, I would definitely spend more if there were special "programs" onboard that interested me ... such as Regent has with their "Circles of Interest" programs that people can sign up for.

I see nothing wrong with the cruise lines trying to make more money. In fact, I wish they would because I don't want to see HAL ever get into financial trouble. So, offer lots of "options" and people will take advantage of them. While some may not give a hoot about onboard lectures or classes, I would if the subject interested me, and I would gladly pay for a special enrichment program I could enjoy on my cruise. Others will gladly pay for the "suite life." Something for everybody means plenty of added revenue for the cruise lines ... without taking away one blessed thing we get for our base fare now.

Blue skies ...

--rita

It's not the price that matters, but the value. Deliver the services and amenities I want and I'll pay a reasonable price even if someone else offers a cheaper experience.

We agree. We also enjoy the suite aspect on the ships and enjoy the perks, but we'd be willing to spend more for overall amenities such as food, entertainment and other things that used to be "included"

I'd gladly pay more to get back to the way things used to be (should be) - both cruising and flying.

In my option, HAL has made a major mistake by overbuilding capacity and then being forced to sell cheap to fill the berths - and in doing so, being forced to diminish the standard of quality and make things extra cost that used to be included.

HAL also seems to think that they need to appeal to the Carnival crowd - trying to bring them up to HAL - ie: from a Carnival Suite to a HAL Verandah, or from a Carnival Verandah to a HAL Outside - but IMO, it just doesn't work that way and just serves to alienate the repeaters.

It is my experience that most people (not everybody, but most) would be willing to spend a reasonable amount more to have less nickel-and-diming, and instead have today's annoying extras once again included in the fare.

I would like to say amen to that, but it's the reality of having so many choices that it just won't work anymore. What can be considered nickel-and-diming can also be considered cruising a la carte. Someone may be willing to pay an extra 4 dollars a day for a specialty coffee in the morning, while the next person would rather spend 29 dollars for a single cooking class. They are both spending a comparable amount of additional money on that week-long cruise, but are getting different amenities. Does the coffee drinker want to pay nearly 60 dollars to get his coffee included in the cruise, but also subsidize a cooking class he's not interested in? And does the cook want to do the same, when she's happy drinking tea in the dining room and forgoing the specialty latte? We all want what WE want, but don't want to help the other person get what THEY want. Sigh.

I have never booked HAL to cruise "cheaply". I am frankly stunned at some of their prices these days as I would have paid more (and have and will pay more ;)), but they set the price.

My intent when I book HAL is for a refined experience on a classic vessel, I am not looking for a "cheap" cruise. We book early and secure a fair price, as the cabin and dining time we choose.

I never thought I'd want anything less than a balcony... but I one cruise, we had to have an inside cabin... our first. And guess what, we survived and would do it again in a heart beat!

Of course my first choice would be a balcony or mini suite, but given the amount of time we spent inside the cabin, it just wasn't all that bad... and the price was exceptional!!

I guess if an inside cabin means cruising more... then so be it!

I want to see the cruise lines make a profit -- I do not wish to see the cruise lines cut to the same depths as the airline industry. If it is necessary to raise the price a bit -- go ahead and I will decide how much and where I will cruise. I would much rather they do that than dilute the product and/or increase the amount of nickel and diming.

I know that there is a financial need to fill berths, not only to meet fuel costs but if the staff is not working and receiving tips they will not be a happy staff and some will not stay. Hard times do necessitate changes. After 9/11 there were many incredible cruise bargains out there for a year or so and I am sure that to keep operating the cruise lines took a hit and made some compromises. Unfortunately I see that happening again with today's economic pressures. It remains to be seen how long this lasts to know for sure what will happen to the cruise industry.

As to the suggestion of an earlier poster that HAL create a more refined level of service on some cruises (for which they charge more) -- doesn't HAL already do that on their Grand Cruises? It is not necessary to purchase the whole cruise as many of these cruises divide into purchasable segments.

I'll agree that it is "all about value". All "cruiser's" have different budgets and different "comfort requirement" levels. What may be of value to me, may extravagant to some and a hardship to others. Its relative.

We vacation fives weeks a year, with three cruises under our belt lifetime.(2004, 06 & 07 all on HAL). As long as the value (our enjoyment relative to cost) is balanced, we'll continue to cruise. If not, there is a world of options out there for vacations.

I think we got a good deal on our next cruise (compared to the current rates) but it fairly exceeds all previous prices we've paid. Our resources aren't unlimited so we'll go forward (booking cruises) on a "case by case" basis.

As to the suggestion of an earlier poster that HAL create a more refined level of service on some cruises (for which they charge more) -- doesn't HAL already do that on their Grand Cruises? It is not necessary to purchase the whole cruise as many of these cruises divide into purchasable segments.

Good point.

But I think what that poster meant was having some HAL cruises that cost more, but were perhaps all-inclusive or close to it.

The thing I don't understand ... and would appreciate clarification on ... is why someone who was willing to spend top dollar for a luxury or penthouse suite would sail in that suite on a mass market line. Wouldn't it cost no more to sail one of the luxury lines if you were gonna book HAL's penthouse or a full-scale luxury suite with Neptune Lounge privileges? And, at least on the luxury line chances are you drinks would be included, a shore excursion or two would be thrown in, and you'd get some other free ammenities that on HAL you would have to pay for. This means that I would assume you'd have a more "refined" experience for an actually cheaper price.

Anyone want to enlighten me about this?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Good point.

But I think what that poster meant was having some HAL cruises that cost more, but were perhaps all-inclusive or close to it.

The thing I don't understand ... and would appreciate clarification on ... is why someone who was willing to spend top dollar for a luxury or penthouse suite would sail in that suite on a mass market line. Wouldn't it cost no more to sail one of the luxury lines if you were gonna book HAL's penthouse or a full-scale luxury suite with Neptune Lounge privileges? And, at least on the luxury line chances are you drinks would be included, a shore excursion or two would be thrown in, and you'd get some other free ammenities that on HAL you would have to pay for. This means that I would assume you'd have a more "refined" experience for an actually cheaper price.

Anyone want to enlighten me about this?

Blue skies ...

--rita

We have an SB corner aft booked on the Eurodam for New Years. We have the penthouse booked for a 14 day cruise on the Westerdam next year. We have a Q4 penthouse booked on the QM2 in November. We looked at Crystal and Silver Seas, but they were leaving from ports in Europe that we just couldn't get to at that times of year we want to travel, or their cruises were longer than we could get away for, or the dates weren't good for my husband.

We can fly to Ft Lauderdale in a couple of hours, but if we're going to Europe, we'd want to be able to spend a couple of days before and after, and hubby couldn't take the time. That's one reason. Generally, Crystal and Silver Seas don't offer too many 7 day cruises out of the states at the time of year we want to go.

We do want to try both Silver Seas and Crystal at some point though. Since we haven't sailed HAL yet, I don't know whether those choices will be worth it in the end other than for the space. I'll let you know.:D

Archived