Buying Diamonds in St. Thomas

queenymm

We'll be in St. Thomas during our 25th wedding anniversary and considering upgrading my diamond ring. How do you know you're getting the real deal when purchasing??? We're only there for 8 hours, so our decision will have to be made quickly. Any advice??

Buy for a local reputable dealer in your city that sells and guarantees his/her work and gems. There are also many reputable dealers in Antwerp, Tel Aviv and New York City, all cities where diamonds are traded, regularly.

Buying from a far off supplier with questionable integrity who may be dealing in blood diamonds isn't a great idea. Diamonds are a commodity that can easily be priced and compared based on the 4Cs.

Most dealers on the islands will hardly stand by their product. Plus they need to kick back the cruiseline for your purchase, so they often have a higher markup. Worse yet, because they can deal with "blood" diamonds instead of certified conflict free diamonds. Read the dealer's policies on refunds or discrepencies. Can you easily get your money back if you find that they have misrepresented themselves and that the stone isn't worth what they claim? Is there a return policy that is clear and fair?

There are a few good and fair dealers, that is for sure. I know that H. Stern is in St-Thomas. They have a clear and well known worldwide reputation. Look up other company names on the Internet with the words "complaint" or "better business bureau" or even "rip off" and see if they are a company that you want to deal with.

Or read some of the rip off reports using the words CRUISE and JEWELRY and judge for yourself... http://www.ripoffreport.com/searchresults.asp?q1=ALL&q2=&q3=&q4=&q5=&q7=&q6=jewelry%20cruise&searchtype=0

I have never seen any fabulous deals on jewelry on any island. IMO, it's wiser to just buy from a reputable dealer at home who will back their work. Any jeweler should give you a discount if you ask, especially if you are a regular customer or are making an expensive purchase, and most will accept your old stone if you want to trade up.

No important or expensive decision should be made quickly.

Cardow also gets my vote. Even though they provide an appraisal for any major purchase, I still have my rings & other jewelry appraised upon returing home and find them to be worth much more.

Grand Jewelers in St. Thomas are great. Navine and Varsha are wonderful people and will make sure you are taken care of. Our appraisal on the ring we bought for my wife last year there was almost 2.5 times what we paid. Also for some locals opinions on shops check out vi now.com (without the space)

Archived