Le Bistro or Cagney's onboard Dawn?

chrisncraz

Hi All,

Haven't posted or been on Norwegian in a while. I'll be on the May 18th sailing on the Norwegian Dawn. Now, I've been on the ship twice before but haven't tried the speciality dining. I really hate to pay for food that I've paid for but I want to try one anyway. So, I have it down to Le Bistro or Cagney's? How much is each? And once I pay the cover charge, is there an additional fee for certain items in each restaurant ? And which night is the 2 for 1.... does this only apply to certain restaurants? I know it has time restrictions but what times are they?

Thanks,

Chris

2 for 1 depends on the time of year you are cruising..older passenger vs younger passengers...dining times.

Watch your "daily" for the bargains.

We, personally, prefer LeBistro on the Dawn:)

Extra charge in both restaurants for a certain menu;)

If you eat at Le Bistro and are a chocoholic, you absolutely must have the chocolate fondue. I have absolutely no recollection whatsoever what I ate when I went except for the fondue.

At Cagneys, I had their lamb chops and I couldn't decide on which dessert, so I had a taste of several. All were very good.

Forest Mushroom soup served in a sourdough bowl in Le Bistro is superb. I've read, however, with the Freestyle 2.0 upgrades, all the menus have changed in the specialty restaurants. I surely hope the mushroom soup and Chocolate Fondue is still offered in Le Bistro.

Forest Mushroom soup served in a sourdough bowl in Le Bistro is superb. I've read, however, with the Freestyle 2.0 upgrades, all the menus have changed in the specialty restaurants. I surely hope the mushroom soup and Chocolate Fondue is still offered in Le Bistro.

Menus changed in the specialty restaurants again? Do you have a link, would like to view them:)

Menus changed in the specialty restaurants again? Do you have a link, would like to view them:)

I don't have a link to the new menus but I have read on this message board with the introduction of Freestyle 2.0, menus will change in the specialty restaurants. I will find out first hand in one week when we are on Dawn, May 18th. We were on Gem a month and a half ago so I can pretty much remember what was on the menus.

When we were on the Dawn the week of 4/27 the new menus were in place and both the mushroom soup and the Chocolate Fondue were offered.

we were on Dawn 4/27 (sailing at full capacity) and there were no 2/1 deals.

We tried all specialty restaurants, didn't eat in dining rooms except for breakfast and lunch.

my favorite is Le Bistro, then Salsa, Then Cagneys, than Tapanyaki. We didn't go to Bamboo (not a fan of sushi on cruise ships).

le Bistro had a great onion soup, mushroom soup, great appetizers and wonderful fondue :)... we loved it. Salsa was awesome. Cagneys was fantastic, take the shrimp cocktail, it's huge.

Otherwise, have fun, we loved the ship!

Hi All,

I really hate to pay for food that I've paid for but I want to try one anyway. So, I have it down to Le Bistro or Cagney's?

You won't be dissapointed with Cagney's. Here's a tip. Don't eat all day and get your money's worth. They will give you as many sides as you want so try them all. The steak is worth the money and is not something that you should "expect" on a cruise.

LeBistro is .. eh. ok. We usually go once though. Be daring and try the frog leg soup. It's great.

We prefer the paid dining because the food is better, the service is better and you don't have to contend with the cattle rush.

We got off the Dawn yesterday. We ate at both Cagney's and Le Bistro. Personally I prefer Cagney's. On the dawn Le Bistro is on the inside of the ship therefore there are no windows. I missed having the view while we ate. I thought the steaks at Cagney's were excellent. THere are several items that will cost you an additional $10 on top of the $20 cover charge. They included a lobster, surf and turf, alaskin king crab and "prime" cuts of meat. I had the king crab one night which was only so-so. I had a "prime" fillet the next time and it was outstanding.

On our sailing there were no 2 for 1 specials as I think the boat was nearly full.

When we were on the Dawn the week of 4/27 the new menus were in place and both the mushroom soup and the Chocolate Fondue were offered.

Thanks for the update. Le Bistro is my favorite specialty restaurant, then Cagney's. A very close third is Teppanyaki.

You won't be dissapointed with Cagney's. Here's a tip. Don't eat all day and get your money's worth. They will give you as many sides as you want so try them all. The steak is worth the money and is not something that you should "expect" on a cruise.

LeBistro is .. eh. ok. We usually go once though. Be daring and try the frog leg soup. It's great.

We prefer the paid dining because the food is better, the service is better and you don't have to contend with the cattle rush.

The sides (such as the creamed spinach and sauteed mushrooms) are extremely small. I promised myself next time we dine there, I will order several sides to equal two normal sized side dishes. Each side comes in its own little crock so I plan to specify to put two or three servings of one of the sides into one crock.

so correct me here if I'm wrong...

but once you pay the cover for the LeBistro... you're all set... there is nothing else to pay foodwise? Of course, I know about alcohol.

but Cagney's there is a cover and then an additional upcharge for certain items?

Archived