If given a choice, would you prefer a Celebrity Suite over a Royal Suite?

des1rees

So, I am going on the Mercury in September 2009 on a RS to Alaska and just saw the other thread where everyone is talking about how wonderful a CS is for the windows and everything. This is going to be a first cruise, and I wanted to see if given a choice, would you prefer a CS over a RS? We put a lot of emphasis on the room being nice, and I thought RS was nice, until I see everyone talking about a CS being great for an Alaska trip. It would mean switching from Mercury to Millennium, however I am fine doing that if that would make the experience worth it. What are your opinions?

Thanks for sharing your opinions with me.

D

I think a lot of it distills down to whether or not a verandah is important to you (you have one in a Royal Suite, but not in a Celebrity Suite). I did Alaska in July 2007, but did not find myself using the verandah extensively. The floor-to-ceiling windows in a Celebrity Suite would have come in handy, particularly on chilly evenings. That being said, in a Celebrity Suite I would have missed the opportunity to occasionally open the doors to let some fresh air into the stateroom. I like both the C & M-Class ships, but I'd also compare the ship amenities of both in making your decision.

It's a difficult question with no right or wrong answer. For me it would be the Royal Suite every time. Nice rooms though those CSs are, it wouldn't be enough to attract me to missing out on a balcony, rain or shine. I like "stepping out" and if that is important to you then you should consider this. Overall the CS is the nicer room, but the RS on Mercury is still a great space and the ship is lovely as far as I am concerned, despite not having a Speciality Restaurant and a few of the other bells and whistles that come with Millennium.

Whatever you decide, enjoy:)

Phil

Picking the Millie could be a little painful when it comes to picking up your airfare since it's a one way cruise. The Infinity would be a little easier.

Personally I would pick the CS. The balcony just isn't worth the extra $$$ to me. But in the end, you have to decide what is important to you.

Happy Sailing

I would go with the CS for Alaska.We had one in march while in the carribean,and we were pleaseantly surprised that we did not miss having a balcony(never not had one). We found ourselves enjoying the outdoors more by being able to see nature but not have to deal with the elements.I think the CS would be perfect for Alaska.whatever you choose,enjoy.

We've done both rooms on M class ships but not Alaska (yet!) but for $0.02, we would opt for the Royal Suite if all else was even. Overall I liked the layout of the RS a lot more than the CS and even though it will be very chilly, fresh air is a must.

We also found the air conditioning in the CS was not able to cope when entertaining a few before dinner cocktail guests and the room got very warm very quickly (this was on the Millennium).

NOW in re-reading your post you say you're on Mercury..... I have it on good authority that on the Mercury you get both -- amazing floor to ceiling windows PLUS a big deck. My friends who cruise lots more than we do think that the RS on Mercury is much superior to the layout on the M-class ships.

SO, I'd stay on the Mercury and enjoy the RS. Have fun!!!!

we have sailed in both CS and RS on the M class ships but never been on Mercury.

the biggest difference is the balcony but frankly we are not big balcony people. we enjoy watching the world go by on sea days but dont need to sit out. if you are balcony people and its important to you go for the royal, otherwise i would suggest the CS is really quite comfotable and roomy. by the way, we have never had problems with the ac on Infinity, Mille or Conne.

if your cruise does not have a lot of sea days the balcony is kinda wasted in any event, you will not be on the ship.

I would go with whichever one they gave me, because the only way I'm going to end up in any Suite is if the cruiseline is paying for it.

It's inside cabins for me until someone gives me an outrageous sum of money, or the cruiseline picks up the tab.

Happy cruising to all who can still afford to cruise!

Bob

everyone, for your posts. I appreciate your ideas...and will stick to the RS - one of the reasons being that we are travelling with the in-laws AND parents AND brother and his wife ( they are booked into the CC cabins), and I am sure our place will be the main hangout - so the extra room will definitely be needed.

D.

Archived