September INFINITY Alaska Cruise

JMB

We booked the September 19, 2008, cruise on INFINITY from Vancouver to San Francisco via Alaska. Have since tried to get info from Celebrity web site about available shore excursions, and seem to be comng up empty for the Alaska points; web site shows either nothing or very limited selection being offered. We realize cruise is late in the Alaska season, but have a hard time believing the state has already closed for the winter, especially when other cruise lines show plenty of excursion offerings available. Calls to Celebrity have been decidely not any help.

Anyone have any thoughts, comments, suggestions? We are seriously considering cancelling the cruise.

JMB

We are also booked on this cruise. I just checked the website. They say they will have more listed closer to time of cruise. If you check the Alaska board, many cruisers recommend independent tours at Alaska ports. You can get recommended names and check with them about availabilty in late September.

Having cruised Alaska several times, we are just planning on Butchardt Gardens in Victoria and Fort Clapsop in Astoria. Since many on the Alaska board warn of cooler and rainier weather in September, we plan on deciding what to do in Alaska ports when we get there. If it is pouring rain, we will be on the ship!

Since many on the Alaska board warn of cooler and rainier weather in September, we plan on deciding what to do in Alaska ports when we get there.

We cruised in September and the weather was wonderful. Friends of ours went in August and it poured every day. The motto for Alaska is layers and be prepared for rain.

We have been twice (04 and 06) and they were the last cruises of the season...and the weather was perfect....I think it may be the luck of the draw...but we had sunshine..and maybe a few "sprinkles"...and we did all our own tours...from info from the port board on CC...if you go to Skagway please consider the railroad trip...it is awesome!! LuAnn

The cruise tours have just gone up for the Utimate Alaskan Cruise for the 19th September. So if you are like me you will have fun all weekend picking what tour you will do then compare it the hundreds of others on the net. I know it is a difficult job (LOL) but it is the sacrifices I make of my week end (not).

Cya

Christine

We were in Alaska at the beginning of Sept in 2002. and loved it. It was cool, but the colors that year were awesome. Can't say enough things about the landscape. One real advantage of going at the end of the season is sales and less people. Have a good time.

I am in Alaska at least twice a year for business-mid/late May and then again for 10+ days in September.

After about Sept 10-quite a lot of things will be closed. Denali Park shuts down the shuttle buses. You can sometimes get a lottery ticket to drive into the Park-dates vary.

Alaska is HEAVILY dependent on college students/teachers for wait staff, tour guides, drivers, etc., etc. So when the employees leave, lots of things close down or are reduced in hours, tours, etc.

Look to the independent, Alaska BASED excursion operators. Not only will you save money generally, but you will have a better time. Enjoy!!!!

Archived