4 people in a OV Cabin?

vids1375

We (my hubby and 20 month old son) are booked on the CC Infinity on 06/06/08 to Alaska in an Ocean View room in Cat 2B. We really wanted to take our parents on the cruise with us and had booked a room for them but Dad dropped out of the cruise, so we canceled their room. Now, we still want to take mom (duh! thought of it too late!:p) but the only option available is to take her in our room which is 170 sq feet according to our TA but will accommodate a fourth person as well. This is my mother-in-law and I am super comfy with her in terms of sharing space but will it get too crowded :confused:? I have looked through the cabin pictures but true opinions of people who have been on board will really help me make my decision! Thanks!

No matter how much you love your mil that size cabin is way too small for the four of you, actually I would have advised it's too small for just you , dh and the baby. I traveled in the same size cabin with a balcony one time with my dh and it was very, very tight quarters.

Any chance of getting two connecting rooms? We had two connecting OV rooms (Cat. 8) on the Infinity, and we have two connecting 2C balcony rooms booked on the Summit. I agree that four people in such tight quarters would strain even the best relationship.

--Junglejane

Thanks, folks! I figured as much. We actually have a balcony room and not an OV room. It is tight but since the baby its always been room for 3!!! :D

We had the adjoining room for the parents but since we canceled it without thinking, its gone! The only choice is to take her along with us in our room or not take her along! :mad::mad:

If you really want to take her along, there are a couple of strategies that might make it work. We went to Hawaii on the Infinity with two adults and two children in the same type of room. I will tell you that it was a tight fit and we joked that you had to leave the room in order to change your mind. My sister's little RV Camping Trailer has more room than these cabins because her bed are pop-outs. The beds, especially when the fold out bed is folded out... take up almost all the floor space.

Are you bringing a Pack-n-Play for the baby. That will be hardest thing to figure out... where to put it. If one of you is willing to sleep in the upper pullman, then you could put it in the spot where the sofa bed folds out. If you need to use that bed then it will be a tight fit for the pack-n-play.

The other area where you will be hurting is closet space. The closet space is really insufficient for 4 and if you have a lot of baby stuff, that will take up more space than possibly it would for an older child. But if you pack light and do creative things like only un-pack 1/2 and keep the rest in a suitcase under the bed and then switch mid week, you can make it work.

Finally, have a plan for bath room usage. Perhaps you husband could plan to shower in the spa. That would give you and Mom more time and space for getting dressed and ready.

I would say that normally you don't spend much time in your room, but with a baby, more than likely you'll be spending a great deal of time there. The balcony will be nice because you can sit out there while the baby is sleeping or playing. If you Mom has offered to baby sit, then this might make is worth it to have her with you. Other wise you will have him with you all the time, or you will have to use in room sitting because he is too young for the kids program.

Good Luck, And let us know what you decide. If you take Mom be sure to let us know how that turned out.

Finally, have a plan for bath room usage. Perhaps you husband could plan to shower in the spa. That would give you and Mom more time and space for getting dressed and ready.

You're going to kick the husband out of his room to shower:eek: .

Well...It's doable and in general you are in your cabin just to sleep and change; however, it will be very tight and there just isn't a whole a lot of drawer space for 3 three people so if you do decide to go..pack light and smart. The three us went on a carnival cruise in a 190 sq ft cabin and I swore I wouldn't do that ever again, but we managed to survive and not kill each other by the end of the cruise. If your mother-in-law will be very disappointed then go ahead and book her...as long as she and everyone understands the very tight living conditions and that everyone will have to be patient and take turns.

I love all your comments - especially the "save your marriage, dont do it" one! ;)

DH and I will need to think about it some. Funnily enough, he is more concerned about "our" privacy than I am!:eek: But the plusses that our son will get to spend time with Grandma (whom he adores and rarely gets to see since she lives abroad) and DH and I get some alone time to do things we love - hiking, kayaking and maybe even the dog-sledding are some serious considerations.

I am more worried about the storage space - we are not taking a pak-n-play coz we are the "family bed" family! Son sleeps with us, so thats not an issue - however, I will need to carry diapers, tons of layered clothes for him and his books and toys to keep him entertained. Will decide by another day!

Thanks again for all the advice!

• 2 weeks later...

So we decided and are not taking mom along! :mad:

Guess it will just be the three of us - am saddened to not take her along but at the same time I am excited about our first "family" trip since the addition of the son! Less than 2 weeks away - hope the weather cooperates!

thanks for all the help in helping us make our decision!

I know it's late and you've already decided....but I did want to say that if you really want her along, you will find the space.

When I first started cruising there were 4 adults in a cabin. We booked on a guaranteed share, so I didn't even KNOW the other people I shared with (other than they were also female). We managed. I didn't spend a lot of time in the cabin - basically just to sleep. Getting ready for dinner, we got ready and got out. Some were earlier risers than others, but we definitely managed to share the space effectively. So, I'm just saying it can be done. My first 4 or 5 cruises were that way, back when the cruise lines used to offer that option to single travelers.

You and hubby will certainly have more alone time in the cabin, but if MIL was along she can also help you care for your son if needed.

Have a great time whatever you do!

So we decided and are not taking mom along! :mad:

I think you've made a good decision. Looking at it from your MIL's perspective ... she may have found the accommodations a bit too tight, esp. if she's a light sleeper, is used to privacy, having her own bathroom, etc.

Also, while it would be quality time for DS and MIL while she babysat, on a trip to Alaska your MIL might be a little envious of missing out on some of those exciting excursions.

Hope you can share a family vacation soon with your MIL and FIL ... and on this trip, enjoy a fantastic time with your DH & DS! :)

I believe that you made the right decision. As a matter of fact those rooms are really to small for two people, 170 square feet in the room and a balcony of only 38 square feet. On the other hand, if you have a sweet sixteen, you would have a larger balcony.

I As a matter of fact those rooms are really to small for two people, 170 square feet in the room and a balcony of only 38 square feet.

I think most of the 170 sq. ft. rooms are occupied by two people as opposed to one person .... more space is nice, but it's possible for 2 to be quite comfortable in 170 sq. ft. plus balcony.

Vids1375 - Enjoy your trip! I look forward to a detailed review when you get back because we're doing almost the exact same trip with our 20 month old in 2 months - so I can use all the pointers you'll have!

Archived